Re: A question/suggestion for HTML 2.0 or 3.0

Michael Mealling (Michael.Mealling@oit.gatech.edu)
Thu, 17 Aug 1995 14:08:19 -0400 (EDT)

James Casey said this:
> At 15:59 17/8/95, Michael Mealling wrote:
> >I'm sitting here hacking Mosaic code so that it can understand URCs and
> >it occurs to me that a very powerful addition to the Anchor tag would
> >be a META attribute that specifies meta-information that is not within
> >the document itself.
>
> But this has the problem that the author of a document has no control over
> the meta information associated with the document.

Having no control is a desirable thing in many places:
Peer review of documents
third party review for appropriate material for minors
cataloging by librarians
electronic corpora

> Having meta information
> specified in the HEAD as an associated LINK'ed resource would seem to be
> the correct way to do this.

Ok, from my reading of the 2.0 and 3.0 specs I see no way to do the
function I want. I want to be able to get the meta-information for
a given resource BEFORE I actually get that resource. If you put the
LINK in the HEAD then you have to get that resources head before you
can find out anything about it.

> This is not the proper place to put meta-information about a document, but
> perhaps to put meta-information about the link itself ( whatever that
> might mean ??? )

So where would you put information about whats on the other side of
the link before you get it?

-MM

Life is a game. Someone wins and someone loses. Get used to it.
<BR>
<HR><A HREF="http://www.gatech.edu/michael.html">Michael Mealling</A>