From: "John Gay" <John_...@eur.3com.com>
Subject: Sun goes fully open source!
Date: 1999/10/02
Sender: r...@informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Newsgroups: muc.lists.debian.user

First, IBM, HP, Sun etc . . . join in supporting Linux, Then Apple starts
releasing portions of Mac OS, and now . . .

SUN MICROSYSTEMS, TO PARALLEL SUCCESS OF LINUX, MAKES SOLARIS CODE
AVAILABLE
Sun plans to open the source code for its Solaris operating
system in hopes of replicating the success of Linux.  However,
rather than giving the source code away for free, Sun will
release Solaris source code under its "community-source license,"
says Sun CTO Greg Papadopoulos.  Community-source licensing will
allow programmers to download and change Solaris code, provided
they include open interfaces to the software they develop and
report glitches to Sun and other programmers.  Developers using
Solaris code for non-commercial applications will not have to
pay, while those using the code for commercial programs will pay
licensing fees to Sun.  Sun's agreement differs from Linux rules
because Linux is free even for commercial use, although users
must publicly post changes to the code.  In opening Solaris'
source code, Sun aims to establish Solaris as the leading OS for
Internet sites as well as corporate data centers.
(Wall Street Journal 10/01/99)

How much longer before the other UNIX's follow? How long can Microsoft hold out?
Looks like the days of paying through the nose for an OS and being held hostage
by current software copyright laws are truly numbered!!!

Kinda reminds me of a certain TV commercial from 1984.

Cheers,

     John Gay