Newsgroups: news.announce.conferences
From: caro...@uunet.uu.net (Carolyn Carr)
Subject: 4th USENIX UNIX Security Symposium
Sender: r...@sparky.sterling.com (Richard Ohnemus)
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1993 00:25:25 GMT

 		   4th UNIX SECURITY SYMPOSIUM
               Sponsored by the USENIX Association

                     in cooperation with the
             Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT)

SANTA CLARA MARRIOTT HOTEL
Santa Clara, California
OCTOBER 4 - 6, 1993

The USENIX Association, in cooperation with  CERT,  the  Computer
Emergency  Response  Team and ACM SIGSAC,  invites you to participate
in the 4th UNIX Security Symposium.

The goal of this symposium is to bring together security  practi-
tioners,  system  administrators,  system programmers, and others
with an interest in computer security as it relates  to  networks
and  the  UNIX Operating system.  The symposium will consist of a
broad range of  topics  including  tutorials  appropriate  for  a
technical  audience  and  peer-reviewed  technical presentations.
Attendees will have a unique opportunity to share  their  experi-
ences and ideas on UNIX system security.

This meeting will be a three day, single  track  symposium.   The
first  day will be devoted to tutorial presentations, followed by
two days of refereed and invited technical presentations.

PROGRAM   COMMITTEE

Bill Cheswick, Program Chair, AT&T Bell Laboratories
Steve Bellovin, AT&T Bell Laboratories
Matt Bishop, U. of  California Davis
Ed DeHart, CERT, Carnegie  Mellon University
Jim Ellis, Carnegie Mellon University
Marcus Ranum, Trusted Information Systems

IMPORTANT SYMPOSIUM DATES & SCHEDULE OF  EVENTS

Pre-Registration Deadline:   September 27, 1993
Hotel Reservation Deadline:  September 18, 1993

Sunday, October 3, 6:00 pm - 9:00pm   Registration/Reception

Monday,  October 4   9:00am  - 5:00pm  Tutorial Program
12:30pm -  1:30pm Hosted Tutorial Lunch

Tuesday, October 5 9:00am - 5:30pm Technical Sessions
6:00pm - 8:00pm Symposium Reception

Wednesday, October 6 9:00am - 4:30pm Technical Sessions

TUTORIAL PROGRAM: October 4, 1993 - 9am - 5pm

The USENIX tutorial program for this symposium is ideal for  peo-
ple  who  would like a practical introduction to system security,
or for people  who  would  like  to  enhance  or  increase  their
knowledge.   The  tutorial  instructors are experts who deal with
security issues on a daily basis.  Both  tutorials  are  full-day
programs.   A  box  lunch  is included with the registration fee.
Attendance in each tutorial is LIMITED and  on-site  registration
will be allowed only if space permits.

M1   INTERNET SECURITY FIREWALLS
Instructor:  D.  Brent  Chapman, Great  Circle  Associates

Intended  Audience: Network and system managers  who  are
contemplating  construction  of  an  Internet
firewall  security  system,  or  who  are maintaining an existing
firewall system.  Attendees should already understand basic
Internet  networking  principles;  for  example, they  should
understand packet encapsulation, IP addressing, and the difference
between UDP and TCP.

Access to the Internet provides a wealth of  valuable  resources:
fast,  convenient  electronic  mail to vendors, clients, and col-
leagues; discussion groups on an unbelievable  range  of  topics;
and  vast  archives  of  freely usable software.  Internet access
also opens the Pandora's box of individuals and groups  who,  for
motivations of malice, fun, or profit, will take advantage of lax
security at poorly protected sites.  Networked computers are  now
the  norm  rather than the exception, yet securing networked sys-
tems one-by-one is usually impractical for a variety of  reasons.
Fortunately, with modern networking technology, it is possible to
take a more collective approach to security, and  concentrate  on
securing  entire  networks  of  machines,  rather than individual
machines.  An Internet firewall system can be defined as a system
that  lets  a site take advantage of some of the services offered
on the Internet (such as  electronic  mail  and  anonymous  FTP),
while  at  the  same time limiting the site's exposure to attacks
from the Internet.  This tutorial teaches  you  how  to  build  a
firewall  between  your  site and the Internet.  The class starts
with a look at the problems that a firewall attempts to  address,
then  proceeds to an analysis of different types of firewall sys-
tems.  The tutorial examines packet filtering in particular as  a
means  of firewall construction, and concludes by working through
the design of a firewall system based on packet filtering.

The tutorial is very practical in nature, and includes many exam-
ples  and  anecdotes.  It provides information and insights valu-
able across a wide range of installation sizes  (from  a  single-
system  operation  through a multi-thousand-node networked site),
operation types (including  academic,  research,  corporate,  and
government),  and  platforms  (such  as  personal computers, UNIX
workstations, shared computing resources,  local-area  and  wide-
area networks, internetworks, and so forth), with a concentration
on networked UNIX workstations.  While oriented toward sites con-
templating  connection to (or already connected to) the Internet,
much of the information in the tutorial is applicable  to  intra-
organization networking where different parts of the network have
different security needs.  Brent Chapman is a consultant  in  the
San  Francisco  Bay  Area, specializing in the networking of UNIX
systems.  He has built many Internet firewall systems for a  wide
variety of clients, using a range of techniques and technologies.
He is the manager of the Firewalls Internet mailing list, and has
taught  previous  USENIX  tutorials on Preparing for Disaster. He
holds a BS in Electrical Engineering and  Computer  Science  from
the University of California, Berkeley.

M2   INTERNET SYSTEM  ADMINISTRATOR'S  TUTORIAL
Instructors:  Ed DeHart and Barb Fraser, Computer Emergency Response
Team

Intended Audience: This tutorial is designed for users and system
administrators  of UNIX systems.  It is especially suited for system
administrators of UNIX systems connected to  a  wide  area  network
based  on TCP/IP such as the Internet.  Some system administrator
experience is assumed.  The information presented in this tutori-
al  is  based  on  incidents  reported  to the Computer Emergency
Response Team.  The topics covered  include:

 System  administration
 defensive  strategies
 Password selection
 Default login shell  for  unused  accounts
 Network daemon configuration
 Verification of system programs
 System  configuration  files
 Searching for hidden  intruder  files
 Staying current  with  software  releases
 Standard accounting files
 NFS configuration
 System administration
 offensive  strategies
 COPS
 /bin/passwd  replacement programs
 TCP/IP   packet  filtering
 TCP/IP daemon wrapper programs
 Security in programming
 Site-specific security policies
 Maintaining  good  security   at   your   site
 Providing  guidance to users
 Handling  incidents  in  an   effective   and   orderly   fashion
 Reviewing  Site  Security Policy Handbook (RFC 1244)
 Incident handling
 What to  do  if your  site is broken into?

Ed DeHart and Barb Fraser are members of the Computer Emergency
Response Team (CERT).   Barb  has  been working  with  the
CERT since 1989, and Ed helped found the group the year before.
 The CERT was formed  by  the  Defense  Advanced
Research  Projects  Agency  (DARPA)  in  1988 to serve as a focal
point for the computer security concerns of Internet users.   The
Coordination  Center  for the CERT is located at the Software En-
gineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University,  in  Pittsburgh,
PA.   Both  instructors  are  actively involved in the day-to-day
business of site security and incident handling.

PRELIMINARY TECHNICAL PROGRAM

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 5

 9:00 -  9:15   OPENING ANNOUNCEMENTS
 9:15 - 10:30   KEYNOTE ADDRESS: Robert H. Morris, Sr.,
                                 National  Security  Agency

Mr. Morris will speak on information security  and  the  sad  state
of  software quality.  "If a program is full of bugs, what can
you say about its security?"  He  presently  works for
the   Information   Systems   Security   Organization   at
NSA  and  has  long  been  involved  in  security matters.

10:30 - 11:00   Break

11:00   -   12:30
CryptoLib: Cryptography in Software
Jack Lacy,    AT&T    Bell   Laboratories

Long Running Jobs in an Authenticated Environment
Peter  Honeyman, Aviel D. Rubin, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

The Architecture  and  Implementation of Network Layer Security in UNIX
John Ioannidis, Columbia University; Matt Blaze,
AT&T  Bell  Laboratories

12:30 -  2:00   Lunch on your own

2:00 -  3:30

Retrofitting Network Security to Third-Party Applications -
The SecureBase Experience
Jonathan  I.  Kamens,  Geer  Zolot  Associates

Dial-In   Security  Firewall Software
Bob Baldwin, Los  Altos  Technologies, Inc.

3:30 -  4:00   Break

4:00 -  5:30
Secure RPC for Telnet
Dave Safford,  Douglas Lee Schales, David K. Hess,
Texas A & M University

Caller ID  System  in  the  Internet  Environment
Hyun  Tae  Jung,  Hae Lyong Kim, Yang Min Seo, Ghun Choe, Sang
Min, Chong Sang Kim, Kern Koh,  Seoul  National  University

ATP  - Anti-Tampering Program
Massimo Cotrozzi, David Vincenzetti, University of Milan - Italy

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 6

9:00 - 10:30   The TAMU Security Package:  An  Ongoing  Response
to  Internet Intruders in an Academic Environment
Dave Safford, Douglas  Lee  Schales,  David  K.  Hess,
Texas A & M University

10:30 - 11:00   Break

11:00 - 12:00
UNIX Security  Update
Jerry M. Carlin, Pacific Bell

The Persistent Hacker
Eduardo Rodriguez, Universidad de Chile

12:00 -  1:30   Lunch on your own

1:30 - 2:30
Sendmail Without the  Superuser
Mark  E.  Carson,  IBM  Corporation

Approximating Clark-Wilson Access Triples with Basic UNIX  Commands
W.  Timothy  Polk, National Institute of Standards and Technology

2:30 - 3:00   Break

3:00 -  4:30  WORKS-IN-PROGRESS

Closing Remarks

Please complete the form below and return to the USENIX Conference
office (address below).

              UNIX SECURITY REGISTRATION INFORMATION and FORM

     Please type or print clearly.  Duplicate this form as needed.

NAME _________________________________________________________________
	(first)				(last)
FIRST NAME FOR BADGE ___________________________________________________
                               	(first)                           (last)
COMPANY OR INSTITUTION:_________________________________________________

MAILING ADDRESS ______________________________________________________

CITY _________________________STATE_____COUNTRY________ZIP____________

TELEPHONE NO:__________________________ FAX: ___________________________

NETWORK ADDRESS_________________________________________________
				(Please write legibly)

If you do NOT want to appear in the attendee list, check here: ___

Is this your first USENIX Conference?   ___Yes  ___No
What is your affiliation?  ___ Academic ___ Commercial ___ Gov't
Are you a current member of the USENIX Association?   ___ Yes  ___No
(If you wish to join USENIX see below.*)

			TUTORIALS

Both Tutorials are full-day programs. Select only one Tutorial.
Tutorial Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis
and pre-registration is highly recommended.
|								|
|			Monday, October 4, 1993			|
|								|
|     Check only one box					|
|								|
|      [ ] M1 Internet Security Firewalls			|
|      [ ] M2 Internet System Administrator's Tutorial		|
|_______________________________________________________________|

		***FEE SCHEDULE FOR SYMPOSIUM***
TUTORIAL FEE, October 4, 1993
One Full-Day Tutorial- Only one tutorial can be selected..$275.00 _____

Late fee applies if postmarked after Sept. 27, 1993.....Add 50.00 _____

TECHNICAL SESSIONS  Tues. & Wed., October 5-6, 1993

Member Fee (applies to current members of USENIX,
             Sun User Group, EurOpen, and AUUG)..........$275.00 _____

*Non-member or Renewing Member Fee.......................$340.00 _____
Late fee applies if postmarked after Sept. 27, 1993....Add 50.00 _____

Full-time Student Fee -Pre-registered or on-site.........  75.00 _____
	(Students must include photocopy of current
         I.D. card with registration form.)

To join or renew your membership in  USENIX....Check Here _____
  (Pay the non-member technical sessions fee, of which
   $65 will be applied to your one-year individual
   membership.)
						      TOTAL DUE$______

Full-time students please note: A limited number of  scholarships
are available for full-time students.  Contact the Conference Office
for details.

PRE-REGISTRATION DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 27, 1993.  REGISTRATION FEES
ARE HIGHER AFTER THAT DATE!

Payments must accompany registration form.  Purchase orders and
Vouchers not accepted.

Payment Enclosed (U.S. Dollars).
Make check payable to USENIX CONFERENCE.

CHARGE TO MY:  ___VISA ___MASTERCARD ___AMERICAN EXPRESS ___DINERS CLUB

ACCOUNT NO._____________________________EXPIRATION DATE_______________

________________________________/_____________________________
Print Cardholder's Name		Cardholder's Signature

You may FAX your registration form if paying by credit card to
USENIX CONFERENCE OFFICE, FAX # (714) 588-9706.  (If you FAX
registration, to avoid duplicate billing, do not mail additional copy.
You may telephone our office to confirm receipt of your fax.)

REFUND CANCELLATION POLICY:  If you must CANCEL, all refund requests
must be in writing and postmarked no later than SEPTEMBER 27, 1993.
Direct your letter to the USENIX Conference Office.

            PAYMENT MUST ACCOMPANY REGISTRATION FORM.
             REGISTRATION VIA EMAIL IS NOT ACCEPTED.

Please  complete registration form and return along with your
full payment to:

USENIX Conference  Office
22672  Lambert  St.,  Suite  613
Lake Forest,  CA  92630
Telephone (714) 588-8649
FAX Number (714) 588- 9706
Electronic Mail Address: confere...@usenix.org
Office Hours: 8:30am - 5:00pm Pacific Time

ENJOY THE BENEFITS OF BECOMING A USENIX MEMBER -  If you are  not
a  current USENIX member and wish to join, pay the non-member fee
on the registration form and check  the  special  box  requesting
membership.   $65  of  your  non-member fee will be designated as
dues in full for a one-year individual USENIX Association member-
ship.

ABOUT USENIX

The USENIX Association is a not-for-profit  membership  organiza-
tion  of  those  individuals and institutions with an interest in
UNIX and UNIX-like systems and, by extension, C++, X windows, and
other  programming  tools.  It is dedicated to:
* sharing ideas and experience relevant to UNIX or UNIX  inspired
  and  advanced computing systems,
* fostering innovation and communicating both research  and
  technological developments,
* providing a neutral forum for the exercise of critical thought
  and airing of technical  issues.

SYMPOSIUM PROCEEDINGS:  One copy of the proceedings  is  included
with  your  Technical  Sessions  registration fee. If you wish to
order additional copies, you may contact the  USENIX  Association
at   Telephone   (510)   528-8649,   or  direct  your  email  to:
off...@usenix.org.

HOTEL INFORMATION

The Symposium headquarters will be:

SANTA CLARA MARRIOTT HOTEL                    ROOM RATES
2700  Mission  College Boulevard      $95.00  Single/Double  Occupancy
Santa Clara, California   95054    Plus Current local and State Taxes)
Telephone  (408) 988-1500
Fax (408) 970- 6186
- Indoor/outdoor pool
- Four lighted tennis courts and large health club
- Close to Great America Theme Park, Northern California's largest and
  most popular family entertainment center

To Make Your Reservation:  Call the Hotel directly  and  ask  for
the  Reservations  Desk.  Tell reservations that you are a USENIX
Attendee to take advantage of our  group  rate.   A  one  night's
deposit  is  required for all reservations.  Should you desire to
cancel your reservation, you must notify the hotel no later  than
6:00pm on the day of your scheduled arrival.

IMPORTANT:  Room reservation deadline is SEPTEMBER 18, 1993.  Re-
quests  for reservations received after the deadline will be han-
dled on a space available basis.

AIRPORT TO HOTEL TRANSPORTATION The San Jose  International  Air-
port.  is  just  4 miles from the Santa Clara Marriott.  The Mar-
riott offers complimentary shuttle service to and from the  hotel
and  the  San  Jose  International  Airport  every half hour from
5:30am until 11:00pm daily.  Catch the shuttle right outside  the
baggage claim area.

Taxi service is available at an approximate cost of $11 one way.

POINTS OF INTEREST Paramount's Great America:  Located  in  Santa
Clara,  features  the unique blend of movie magic with theme park
thrill.  Discover the exhilaration of Whitewater  Falls  and  Rip
Roaring Rapids, or try the 360-degree sensation of the revolution
or enjoy an IMAX movie.  Winchester Mystery  House,  Gardens  and
Historic  Museum:   Located  in  San Jose, the Winchester Mystery
House is a beautiful, but  bizarre  160  room  Victorian  mansion
built  by  Sara  Winchester, heiress to the Winchester Rifle for-
tune.  The house includes 40 bedrooms,  13  bathrooms,  47  fire-
places  and 2,000 doors and 10,000 windows.  Rosicrucian Museums:
Discover ancient Egypt in San Jose by visiting the Egyptian Muse-
um, Art  Gallery, Planetarium and Science Center at the beautiful
Rosicrucian Park and Museums. Triton Museum of Art:  Located in a
beautiful  park-like setting, enjoy the rotating exhibits and the
Museum's permanent collection of 19th and 20th  century  American
art  Santa  Clara Valley Wine Country:   Visit one of the nations
richest wine regions.  Most of the wineries offer tours and tast-
ing opportunities to visitors.

FOR FURTHER SYMPOSIUM INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT: