From: Michael Downes <M...@MATH.AMS.ORG>
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: LaTeX3 call for volunteers
Date: 18 Sep 1992 13:56:30 -0400 (EDT)

                LaTeX3 Call for Volunteers

This is a call for volunteers to help in the development of LaTeX3.
There are many tasks needing to be done in support of the LaTeX3
project which can be worked on concurrently with the development of
the LaTeX3 kernel. Furthermore, some tasks require special expertise
not found among the core programming team. Initial research,
analysis, and work on these tasks by volunteers can greatly speed up
the process of integrating a number of desirable features into
LaTeX3. Many of these features can be extensively developed and
tested under LaTeX 2.09 even before the LaTeX3 kernel is available.

Therefore we are publishing a list of tasks to the LaTeX user
community through various channels and we ask readers to consider
contributing some time and effort (particularly, but not exclusively,
readers with expertise in the various areas touched on). The task
list is distributed in the form of a LaTeX article; it is fairly
readable in electronic form, and it can be printed on paper if
desired.

GETTING AND READING THE LATEX3 VOLUNTEER TASK LIST

---Anonymous FTP from the following sites.

   niord.shsu.edu
     directory [fileserv.vol-task]

   ftp.uni-stuttgart.de
     directory soft/tex/vol-task

---Mail server from files...@shsu.bitnet
   or mail-ser...@rus.uni-stuttgart.de

Send mail to files...@shsu.bitnet. No subject line is necessary. In
the body of the mail, write one line:

  sendme vol-task

Send mail to mail-ser...@rus.uni-stuttgart.de. No subject line is
necessary. In the body of the mail, write one line:

  send soft/tex/vol-task/vol-task.tex

---Request a printed copy from the TeX Users Group:

  TeX Users Group
  t...@math.ams.org
  PO Box 9506
  Providence, RI 02940
  USA
  401-751-7760

---Read it in your copy of TUGboat (or your friend's copy, or your
library's copy ...) when it is published there [soon].

It will also be mailed initially to some mail lists and newsgroups
that are likely sources of volunteers. Suggestions for additional
publication destinations are welcome.

If after reading the descriptions you are interested in working on a
particular task, the first step is to contact the coordinator for
that task (if one is listed), or else contact the volunteer list
manager:

     George D. Greenwade
     Department of Economics and Business Analysis
     College of Business Administration
     P. O. Box 2118
     Sam Houston State University
     Huntsville, Texas, USA 77341-2118
     bed_...@SHSU.edu (Internet)
     BED_GDG@SHSU     (BITNET)
     SHSU::BED_GDG    (THENET)
     telephone (409) 294-1266
     FAX  (409) 294-3712

If someone else is already serving as the task coordinator for that
task, that person will discuss with you the current status of the work
and ways in which you might contribute.  Otherwise, the list manager
will designate you as the `task coordinator' for that task, and assist
you in getting answers to any initial questions you may have. Further
details are found in Appendix A of the task list.

Michael Downes
  (on behalf of the LaTeX3 team)

> This is a call for volunteers to help in the development of LaTeX3.
> There are many tasks needing to be done in support of the LaTeX3
> project which can be worked on concurrently with the development of
> the LaTeX3 kernel. Furthermore, some tasks require special expertise
> not found among the core programming team. Initial research,
> analysis, and work on these tasks by volunteers can greatly speed up
> the process of integrating a number of desirable features into
> LaTeX3. Many of these features can be extensively developed and
> tested under LaTeX 2.09 even before the LaTeX3 kernel is available.

Sadly, this sounds to me like a completely misconceived project.
Was any usable software ever developed in this way?

I like LaTeX as it is --
with NFSS, which I consider a natural completion
of this aspect of Lamport's work.

I hate to think what LaTeX will look like
after an army of "improvers" has done their worst.

In the words of the prophet:
If it ain't broke, don't mend it.

Timothy Murphy

e-mail: t...@maths.tcd.ie