From: torva...@cc.helsinki.fi
Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
Subject: gcc on minix-386 doesn't optimize?
Date: 29 Mar 91 15:19:30 GMT

Hello everybody,
I've had minix for a week now, and have upgraded to 386-minix (nice),
and duly downloaded gcc for minix. Yes, it works - but ... optimizing
isn't working, giving an error message of "floating point stack
exceeded" or something. Is this normal? I had problems with the crcs, so
I'm not actually sure I've gotten it right (pretty sure though), but I'm
somewhat surprised that gcc would use floating point in normal
optimizations when the program under compilation certainly doesn't.

I've downloaded the sources (2.9Mb for just gcc, not gas etc), but due
to a rather small HD I've been unable to untar them completely, so I
cannot recompile or anything. I could get one of the floating point
packages floating around, if that is the problem, but my understanding
is that the current binary cannot take advantage of them anyway. Could
somebody please tell me what's the story behind the gcc floating point?

advTHANKSance, Linus Torvalds
torva...@cc.helsinki.fi

PS. No it's not a big problem, even without optimization I get around
7000 dhrystones, I'm just wondering. And yes - I'll get a bigger HD as
soon as my somewhat strained economy can make it 8-).