From: j...@usenix.org (Jeffrey S. Haemer)
Newsgroups: comp.std.unix
Subject: Standards Update, IEEE 1003.0: POSIX Guide
Date: 20 Oct 89 21:49:37 GMT
Sender: std-u...@longway.TIC.COM

From: Jeffrey S. Haemer < j...@usenix.org>

            An Update on UNIX* and C Standards Activities

                            September 1989

                 USENIX Standards Watchdog Committee

                   Jeffrey S. Haemer, Report Editor

IEEE 1003.0: POSIX Guide Update

Kevin Lewis < kle...@gucci.enet.dec.com> reports on the July 10-14,
1989 meeting in San Jose, California:

As 1003.0 passes the mid-point of calendar year 1989, progress can be
earmarked by the arrival of line numbers to the guide document.  I
remember the first time I saw line numbers on a document within the
IEEE 1003 arena.  My first thought was "this committee is really doing
precise, exacting work".  Thus was my reaction again when I saw line
numbers on our document.  My balloon was burst, when one of our active
members -- and by "active member" I mean someone who commits
contributions in writing, not just someone who comes to voice an
opinion in a talk-show-like atmosphere -- pointed to our ISSUE LOG,
which states that the committee needs to do more work.  (There's that
word again.) Alas, I came back down to earth.  I have "miles to go
before I sleep."

Dot Zero continues to converge.  Our document is finally beginning to
tie together the standards and elements that comprise a POSIX open
system.  Key events continue to be the definition of terms that will
eventually make it to the IEEE Glossary and the identification of
areas where terms still need definition.

The group is still generating discussion/debate/argument/food-fights
over behemoth macro-questions such as, "What is the role of the
guide?" and, "What is the PROPER audience?" In addition, the group has
made valiant attempts at addressing specific areas such as graphics
and data interchange without the benefit of focused expertise. We now
agree on our ignorance in these areas, and will seek help and/or to
point to other committees that, we believe, can come up with the
answers.

Overall, we must meet our objective of going to ballot in October
1990, because that is what I told my wife, who is still trying to
figure out what in the world a "dot zero" might be.

  * UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T in the U.S. and other
    countries.

September 1989 Standards Update               IEEE 1003.0: POSIX Guide

Volume-Number: Volume 17, Number 38