From: a...@bungia.bungia.mn.org (Shane P. McCarron)
Newsgroups: comp.std.unix
Subject: Standards Update, Part 1: Overview
Date: 10 Dec 88 23:24:34 GMT
Sender: std-u...@longway.TIC.COM

[ These Standards Updates are published after each IEEE 1003
meeting, and are commissioned by the USENIX Association.
Because the report, like the committees it reports on,
has become long and involved, it is being posted in parts,
currently nine, with perhaps more to follow.  Feel free
to reply or follow up to any part or to the whole thing.

Much of the information in the report was collected through
the USENIX Standards Watchdog Committee.  If you want to
participate, see the addresses in Part 1 below.  -mod ]

      An update on UNIX|= Standards Activities - Part 1

                          Overview

                      December 8, 1988

           Shane P. McCarron, NAPS International

This is the fourth in a series of articles on Unix related
standards activities.  In this edition I am going to cover a
slightly wider area than usual.  There have been
developments at the ANSI X3 level, the National Bureau of
Standards, and within the POSIX committees that all deserve
attention.  Because there is so much material this article
has been divided into a series for posting to Usenet. I will
apologize at the outset for the length of this series, but I
feel that all of the information is timely and important.
In addition to information on group activities, included
with each report is a contact person from whom you can get
more information about these developments, and the names of
Watchdog Committee members through whom you can relay your
opinions to the specific standards committees.

On the subject of the Watchdog Committee, this series is now
an activity of that group.  Last quarter I used the article
to solicit participation in the committee, and I am pleased
to report that we have a number of new associate members.
While I am not familiar with everyone now involved, I would
like to thank those who contributed heavily to this series:
Ted Baker, Mark Colburn, Doug Gwyn, Sol Kavy, Doris
Lebovits, Kevin Lewis.  We are still in search of members
for this group.  While we will accept all comers, we are
particularly interested in filling out our rather lean
international input department.  If you would like to be
involved in the Watchdog activities, or know of someone who
might be a good candidate, please contact:

          John S. Quarterman
          Texas Internet Consulting
          701 Brazos, Suite 500
          Austin, TX  78701-3243
          (512) 320-9031
          j...@longway.tic.com
or

__________

  |= UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T in the U.S. and
    other countries.

                           - 2 -

          Mark Colburn
          NAPS International
          117 Mackubin St.
          Suite 1
          St. Paul, MN  55102
          (612) 224-9108
          m...@naps.mn.org

IEEE P1003 - The POSIX Committees

The POSIX committees met October 24th - 28th in Honolulu,
Hawaii.  At this meeting there were a record breaking 200+
attendees and meetings for eight working groups.  Included
in this series are updates on each of the groups within
P1003, with the exception of IEEE P1003.6 and 1003.8.  We
are awaiting further information on those groups.

Please look to the subsequent postings in this series for
all of the reports.  If you have any comments or
suggestions, please contact me at:

          Shane P. McCarron
          NAPS International
          117 Mackubin St.