Newsgroups: fa.freebsd.hackers
From: Robert Watson <rwat...@freebsd.org>
To: develop...@freebsd.org, hack...@freebsd.org
Subject: FreeBSD Developer Status Report: July 2002 - August 2002
Sender: owner-freebsd-hack...@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 19:39:40 GMT

                        July - August 2002 Status Report

                                  Introduction

   Throughout July and August, the FreeBSD Project has been working on
   pulling together the last few major pieces of new functionality for
   FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE. At this point, the release appears to be on track for
   late November or early December. Work on fine-grained locking continues,
   especially in the VFS, as with improved support for threading through the
   KSE work; features such as GEOM, UFS2, and TrustedBSD MAC are maturing,
   and the new ia64 and sparc64 hardware ports are approaching production
   quality. In the next two months, we have a lot to look forward to:
   additional 5.0 developer preview snapshots, additional locking and
   threading improvements, and many cleanups on the new supported
   architectures. Firewire support has been imported into the main tree, and
   substantial cleanup of the ACPI/legacy PCI code is also in the works.
   Also, expect the import of new IPsec hardware acceleration support in the
   near future.

   When new developer previews are posted, please give them a try! While we
   know that 5.0-RELEASE will be for "early adopters", the more testing we
   get out of the way now, the less we have to tidy up later. The new
   features are extremely exciting, and understanding when and how to deploy
   them properly will be important. In the next two months, among other
   things, the release engineering team will post updated release schedules,
   as well as guidance for FreeBSD consumers as to how to decide what
   releases of FreeBSD will be right for them. Keep an eye out for this, and
   provide us with feedback.

   Also, for those of you in Europe -- we look forward to seeing you at
   BSDCon Europe in a couple of months!

   Scott Long, Robert Watson

     * Bluetooth stack for FreeBSD (Netgraph implementation)
     * ATAPI/CAM Status Report
     * BSDCon 2003
     * Fast IPsec Status
     * FreeBSD C99 & POSIX Conformance Project
     * FreeBSD Donations Team
     * FreeBSD GNOME Project
     * FreeBSD Security Officer Team
     * French FreeBSD Documentation Project
     * GEOM - generalized block storage manipulation
     * Hardware Crypto Support Status
     * jp.FreeBSD.org daily SNAPSHOTs project
     * jpman project
     * KSE
     * Libh Status Report
     * Lottery Scheduler for FreeBSD -STABLE
     * Netgraph ATM
     * Network interface cloning and modularity
     * New SCSI Target Emulator
     * RAIDFrame for FreeBSD
     * Release Engineering
     * The FreeBSD Brazilian Portuguese Documentation Project
     * TrustedBSD Mandatory Access Control (MAC)
     * UFS2 - 64bit UFS with native extended attributes
     * VM issues in -stable

Bluetooth stack for FreeBSD (Netgraph implementation)

   Contact: Maksim Yevmenkin < m_evmen...@yahoo.com >

   I'm very pleased to announce that another engineering release is available
   for download at
   http://www.geocities.com/m_evmenkin/ngbt-fbsd-20020909.tar.gz

   This release features several major changes and includes support for H4
   UART and H2 USB transport layers, Host Controller Interface (HCI), Link
   Layer Control and Adaptation Protocol (L2CAP) and Bluetooth sockets layer.
   It also comes with several user space utilities that can be used to
   configure and test Bluetooth devices. Also there are several man pages.

   Service Discovery Protocol (SDP) is now supported. This release includes
   SDP daemon, configuration tool and user space library (ported from
   BlueZ-sdp-0.7).

   RFCOMM is now supported. This release includes rfcommd daemon that
   provides RFCOMM service via pseudo ttys. Not very useful for legacy
   application, but it is possible to run PPP over Bluetooth now. This was
   ported from old BlueZ-rfcommd-1.1 (no longer supported by BlueZ) and still
   has some bugs in it.

   Next step is to fix current RFCOMM support and work on new in-kernel
   RFCOMM and BNEP (Bluetooth Network Encapsulation Protocol) implementation.
   Also user space need more work (better tools, libraries, documentation
   etc.).

ATAPI/CAM Status Report

   Contact: Thomas Quinot <tho...@FreeBSD.org>

   The ATAPI/CAM module allows ATAPI devices (CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD drives,
   floppy drives such as Iomega Zip, tape drives) to be accessed through the
   SCSI subsystem (CAM). ATAPI/CAM has been integrated in -CURRENT. The code
   should be fairly functional (it has been used by many testers as patches
   against -STABLE and -CURRENT over the past eight months), but there are
   pending issues on SMP machines. Testers most welcome.

   A MFC of this feature will probably happen after the end of the 4.7 code
   freeze.

BSDCon 2003

   Contact: Gregory Shapiro <gshap...@FreeBSD.org>

   The BSDCon 2003 Program Committee invites you to contribute original and
   innovative papers on topics related to BSD-derived systems and the Open
   Source world. Topics of interest include but are not limited to:

     * Embedded BSD application development and deployment
     * Real world experiences using BSD systems
     * Using BSD in a mixed OS environment
     * Comparison with non-BSD operating systems; technical, practical,
       licensing (GPL vs. BSD)
     * Tracking open source development on non-BSD systems
     * BSD on the desktop
     * I/O subsystem and device driver development
     * SMP and kernel threads
     * Kernel enhancements
     * Internet and networking services
     * Security
     * Performance analysis and tuning
     * System administration
     * Future of BSD

   Submissions in the form of extended abstracts are due by April 1, 2003. Be
   sure to review the extended abstract expectations before submitting.
   Selection will be based on the quality of the written submission and
   whether the work is of interest to the community.

   We look forward to receiving your submissions!

Fast IPsec Status

   Contact: Sam Leffler <s...@FreeBSD.org>

   The main goal of this project is to modify the IPsec protocols to use the
   kernel-level crypto subsystem imported from OpenBSD (see elsewhere). A
   secondary goal is to do general performance tuning of the IPsec protocols.

   Recent work focused on increasing performance. Support is still limited to
   IPv4 protocols, with IPv6 support coded but not yet tested.

   Import of this work into the -current tree has started. A publicly
   available patch against 4.7 will be released once 4.7 ships.

   On the API front, fmtmsg(3) was implemented, glob(3) was given support for
   new flags, ulimit(3) was implemented, and wide character/string support
   was significantly improved with the addition of 30 new functions (see the
   project status board for details). Work is progressing on adding the C99
   restrict type-qualifier to functions throughout the system. This allows
   the compiler to make additional optimizations based on the knowledge that
   a restrict-qualified argument is the only reference to a given object (ie.
   it doesn't overlap with another argument).

   Several headers have been brought up to conformance with POSIX.1-2001,
   they include: <fmtmsg.h>, <poll.h>, <sys/mman.h>, and <ulimit.h>. The
   header <cpio.h> was implemented. The headers <machine/ansi.h> and
   <machine/types.h> were merged into a single header to help simplify the
   way variable types are created.

   The sh(1) built-in, command(1), was reimplemented to conform with POSIX.
   Additionally, several utilities which were previously brought up to
   conformance were merged into the 4-STABLE banch.

FreeBSD Donations Team

   Contact: Michael Lucas <donati...@FreeBSD.org>

   The Donations team started rolling in the last couple of months. Offers of
   equipment are coming in, and we are allocating them to FreeBSD committers
   as quickly as possible. We now have a "Committer Want List" available in
   our section of the Web site. Several small items, such as network cards,
   have been routed to people who are willing to write the code to support
   them. We have a few larger donations (i.e., actual servers) ready to go to
   developers, once shipping information is straightened out.

FreeBSD GNOME Project

   Contact: Joe Marcus <mar...@FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Maxim Sobolev <sobo...@FreeBSD.org>

   The GNOME 2 desktop port has reach version 2.0.2rc1 with an expected 2.0.2
   release before 4.7-RELEASE. Mozilla 1.1 has been ported, and is resident
   in the tree with Mozilla 1.0.1. The GNOMENG porting effort is going well.
   A good deal of ports have been moved to the new infrastructure with the
   help of Edwin Groothuis. We are now working on smoothing out some of the
   rough edges, then, once all the work is done, make GNOMENG the default.

   A long-standing annoyance in Nautilus has also been recently corrected.
   The desktop is no longer clutered with volume icons, and removable media
   (such as CDs) should now be handled correctly.

FreeBSD Security Officer Team

   Contact: Jacques Vidrine <nec...@FreeBSD.org>

   The Security Team continues to be very busy. The security-officer mailing
   list traffic for the months of June, July, and August consisted of 1,230
   messages (over 13 messages a day). This is well over 50% of the
   freebsd-hackers traffic volume in the same period!

   Since June (the time of our last report), 9 new Security Advisories were
   published, and one Security Notice was published covering 25 Ports
   Collection issues.

   FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE was released on August 15th. This marked the first
   time a point release was created from the security branch. The process
   went smoothly from the Security Team perspective, despite a schedule
   slippage due to newly discovered bugs, and a snafu which resulted in
   4.6.1-RELEASE being skipped.

   In September, the FreeBSD Security Officer published a new PGP key (ID
   0xCA6CDFB2, found on the FTP site and in the Handbook). This aligned the
   set of those who possess the corresponding private key with the membership
   of the security-officer alias published on the FreeBSD Security web site.
   It also worked around an issue with the deprecated PGP key being found
   corrupted on some public key servers.

French FreeBSD Documentation Project

   Contact: Sebastien Gioria <gio...@FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Marc Fonvieille <black...@FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Stephane Legrand <steph...@FreeBSD-fr.ORG>

   We've got actually almost 50% of the new handbook translated (all the
   installation part is translate). Most of the articles are translated too.

   The web site in on the way, see the Web Server. We need now to integrate
   it on the US CVS tree.

   One of the big job now, is to translate the latest FAQ and the very big
   project will be the manual pages

GEOM - generalized block storage manipulation

   Contact: Poul-Henning Kamp <p...@FreeBSD.org>

   The GEOM code has gotten so far that it beats our current code in some
   areas while stil lacking in others. The goal is for GEOM to be the default
   in 5.0-RELEASE.

   Currently work on a cryptographic module which should be able to protect a
   diskpartition from practically any sort of attack is progressing.

Hardware Crypto Support Status

   Contact: Sam Leffler <s...@FreeBSD.org>

   The goal of this project is to import the OpenBSD kernel-level crypto
   subsystem. This facility provides kernel- and user-level access to
   hardware crypto devices for the calculation of cryptographic hashes,
   ciphers, and public key operations. The main clients of this facility are
   the kernel RNG (/dev/random), network protocols (e.g. IPSEC), and OpenSSL
   (through the /dev/crypto device).

   OpenSSL 0.9.7 beta 3 was imported and patched with fixes from OpenBSD's
   source tree. This permits any user-level application that use -lcrypto to
   automatically get hardware crypto acceleration. Otherwse the core crypto
   support is stable and has been in production use on -stable machines for
   several months.

   Import of this work into the -current tree has started. A publicly
   available patch against 4.7 will be released once 4.7 ships. Integration
   of this work into the -stable source tree is planned for 4.8.

jp.FreeBSD.org daily SNAPSHOTs project

   Contact: Makoto Matsushita <matus...@jp.FreeBSD.org>

   The project runs as it should be. New security-branch snapshots are
   available for both 4.5 and 4.6(.2). I've update buildboxes OS to the
   latest 5-current/4-stable without any errors. Also current problem, less
   CPU power for the future, is not solved yet -- but situation is not so
   bad, I hope I'll show a good news in the next report.

jpman project

   Contact: Kazuo Horikawa <horik...@FreeBSD.org>

   We have been updating RELENG_4 targeting for 4.7-RELEASE. When port
   ja-man-1.1j_5 was broken around the end of July, Kumano-san and Mori-san
   tried to update the port to be based on a newer FreeBSD base system's man
   commands. But, we decided only to fix the port ja-man-1.1j_5 to be
   buildable, as the new one was not complete at that time.

KSE

   Contact: Julian Elischer <jul...@freebsd.org>
   Contact: Jonathon Mini <m...@freebsd.org>
   Contact: Dan Eischen <deisc...@freebsd.org>

   David Xu and I have been working on cleaning up some of the work done in
   KSE-III and Jonathon and Dan have been working on the userland interface.
   The userland libray will be committed soon in a prototypical state and a
   working test program using that interface will hopefully accompany it. I
   have just committed a rework of the run states for kernel threads that
   simplifies or solves some problems that were being seen recently.

   Hopefully in the next few weeks we will be able to run threads on separate
   processors. The basics of Signal support are presently evolving. Archie
   Cobbs will also be assisting with some of this work. I have a mail alias
   for all the developers at k...@elischer.org. It is managed by hand at the
   moment.

Libh Status Report

   Contact: Antoine Beaupre <anar...@anarcat.ath.cx>
   Contact: Alexander Langer <a...@freebsd.org>

   The primary libh development box, where the CVS repo and development
   webpage was living, is dead. The server has crashed after a system upgrade
   and has never came back to life. We had to pull the drives out of it to
   make proper backups. We will setup another box in place of this one and
   hope for the best. So right now, the port is broken because the CVS is
   unaccessible, as the development web page. We're working on it, please
   bear with us.

   On a brighter note, Max started implementing the changes he proposed to
   the build system and the TCL API; LibH is switching to SWIG for its TCL
   bindings, which should simplify the system a lot, and shorten build times.
   The Hui subsystem is therefore being completely re-written. On my side, I
   made a few tests in building and running LibH under rhtvision, and it
   didn't fulfill the promises I thought it would, so I just put aside that
   idea. Work on libh stalled during July because I completely lost network
   access for the whole month. So right now, LibH is in a bit of a mess, but
   we have high hopes of settling everything down to a new release pretty
   soon, which will make full use of the new SWIG bindings.

Lottery Scheduler for FreeBSD -STABLE

   Contact: Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <li...@FreeBSD.org>

   Yet another implementation of Lottery Scheduling devised by Carl
   Waldspurger et. al. is being developed against FreeBSD -STABLE branch. It
   is being developed as part of a graduation project in Computer Science at
   Universidade de Brasilia in Brazil. Therefore, other implementations have
   not yet been verified to avoid plagiarization but will be checked in a
   later stage of this project searching for better implementation ideas.
   Currently, part of the necessary scheduling kernel structure has been
   mapped and work has progressed despite the general lack of kernel
   documentation. Further outcomes of this project will be a simple
   documentation of the kernel scheduler structure of -STABLE branch, a port
   of the Lottery Scheduler to -CURRENT branch and additional implementations
   of other scheduling disciplines from Carl Waldspurger et. al. Members of
   the FreeBSD community have been and will continue to be instrumental in
   both testing and providing feedback for ideas implemented here.

Netgraph ATM

   Contact: Harti Brandt <bra...@fokus.fhg.de>

   Version 1.2 has been released recently. It should compile and work an any
   recent FreeBSD-current. Support to manipulate SUNI registers has been
   added to the ATM drivers (to switch between SONET and SDH modes, for
   example). The ngatmsig package now includes a small and simple call
   control module that mayh be used to build a simple ATM switch. The
   netgraph stuff has been patched to use the official netgraph locking.

Network interface cloning and modularity

   Contact: Brooks Davis <bro...@FreeBSD.org>

   Cloning support for ppp(4) and disc(4) interfaces has been committed. A
   man page for disc has been created and the disc devices now appear as
   disc# instead of ds#. Some work is still needed on pppd to make it
   understand cloning though it should work as long as the devices are
   created beforehand.

   On the API front, management of mandatory interfaces (i.e. lo0) is handled
   by the generic cloning code so if_clone_destroy has the same API as NetBSD
   again and <if>_modevent doesn't need to create the necessary devices
   manually.

   At this point, all pseudo interfaces have been converted to the cloning
   API or already did their own cloning (sl(4) for example uses it's own
   mechanism). Some devices such as tun(4) and tap/vmware should probably be
   converted to use the cloning API instead of their current ad-hoc, devfs
   based cloning system. This would be a good junior kernel hacker task.
   Also, the handbook and FAQ could use some general cloning documentation
   prior to 5.0 release.

New SCSI Target Emulator

   Contact: Nate Lawson <n...@root.org>

   The existing SCSI target code has been rewritten. The kernel driver is
   much simpler, deferring all functionality to usermode and simply passing
   CCBs to and from the SIM. The supplied usermode emulates a disk (RBC) with
   IO going to a backing file. It replaces /sys/cam/scsi/scsi_target* and
   /usr/share/examples/scsi_target.

   The code is definitely alpha quality and has known problems on -current
   although it appears to work ok on -stable. See the included README for how
   to install and test. Feedback is welcome!

RAIDFrame for FreeBSD

   Contact: Scott Long <sco...@freebsd.org>

   Work on RAIDFrame stalled for quite a bit, then it picked up in early
   summer, then it stalled, and now it's going again. A significant amount of
   work has been done to make the locking SMPng-friendly and to cut down on
   kernel stack abuse. I'm happy to say that it's starting to work reliably
   when used with file- backed 'md' disks. Even more exciting is that it's
   finally starting to work on real disks, too. A lot of cleanup is still
   needed, and a few gross hacks still exist, but it might actually be ready
   for the FreeBSD 5.0 release. Patches for FreeBSD 5-current and 4-stable
   are available from the website. The 4-stable patches are a year old but
   still apply and perform well.

Release Engineering

   Contact: <r...@FreeBSD.org>

   The Release Engineering (RE) Team completed and released FreeBSD 4.6.2.
   This ``point release'' fixes several important bugs in the ATA subsystem,
   as well as addressing a number of security issues in the base system that
   surfaced shortly after FreeBSD 4.6 was released. The release documentation
   distributed with FreeBSD 4.6.2 contains more details. (Note: Some earlier
   documents and reports referred to this release as version 4.6.1.) The next
   release in the 4.X series will be FreeBSD 4.7, which has a scheduled
   release date of 1 October 2002.

   Concurrently, work is continuing on the 5.0-DP2 developer preview
   snapshot, an important milestone along the release path of FreeBSD 5.0,
   which is scheduled for release on 20 November. As 5.0 draws closer, we are
   focusing more on getting the system stabilized, as opposed to adding new
   functionality. To help us with this effort, developers should discuss with
   us any new features planned for -CURRENT, beginning 1 October.

The FreeBSD Brazilian Portuguese Documentation Project

   Contact: Edson Brandi <ebrandi.h...@FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <li...@FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Ricardo Nascimento Ferreira <nightw...@techemail.com>
   Contact: Diego Linke <g...@gamk.com.br>
   Contact: Jean Milanez Melo <jm...@freebsdbrasil.com.br>
   Contact: Patrick Tracanelli <eks...@freebsdbrasil.com.br>
   Contact: Alexandre Vasconcelos <alexan...@sspj.go.gov.br>

   The FreeBSD Brazilian Portuguese Documentation Project is merging with a
   translation group formed by members of the FUG-BR FreeBSD Brazilian user
   group. The Brazilian Project decided to become an official group under
   FUG-BR after receiving continued excellent contributions from them. They
   have managed to complete the translation of the FreeBSD FAQ which is
   currently undergoing both proofing and SGML"fication" stages. Work is
   progressing fast: the Handbook has been half translated and articles are
   under way. The previous Brazilian Project is proud to become part of such
   a dedicate group. The contacts above represent the current official
   contacts for the new translation group. We hope to have at least part of
   this work ready for the FreeBSD 4.7 Release.

   It's been a busy few months, with a variety of development, documentation,
   and public relations activities. The MAC Framework, our pluggable kernel
   access control mechanism for FreeBSD, has matured substantially, and large
   parts of it were merged to the main FreeBSD tree over July and August.

   A variety of entry point changes were made, including: component names are
   now passed to VFS namespace VOPs; agressive caching of MAC labels in
   vnodes; mmap memory access downgrades on subject relabel; check for
   access()/eaccess(); checks for vnode read, write, ioctl, pool, permitting
   revocation post-open() by aware policies; labeling and access control
   checks for pipe IPC objects, clean up of socket/visibility checks; checks
   for socket bind, connect, listen, ....; many locking improvements and
   assertions, especially for vnodes, processes; framework now supports
   partial label updates on subjects and objects; credential management in
   'struct file' improved so that active_cred and file_cred are more
   carefully distinguished and passed to MAC framework explicitly; accounting
   system uses cached credentials for write operations now; socreate() can
   use cached credential to label sockets fixing deferred nfs socket
   connections and reconnections with TCP; kse interactions with proc1 fixed;
   IO_NOMACCHECK flag to vn_rdwr() for internal use to avoid redundant or
   incorrect MAC checks on aio vnode operations; mac_syscall() policy
   function demux; su no longer changes MAC labels by default; mac_get_pid()
   to support ps and getpmac -p pid; mmap revocation defaults to "fail stop";
   MAC_DEBUG wraps atomic label counters; UFS2 extended attributes supported;
   initial port of LOMAC to the MAC framework; update all policies for all
   these changes; merge of KSE III; merge of nmount(); upgrade of ugidfw to
   speak user and group names; libugidfw; many namespace and naming
   consistency improvements; module dependencies on MAC framework; large
   scale merging of MAC functionality to the main FreeBSD tree. KDE
   interfaces to common management activities.

   Wrote and taught full-day MAC framework tutorial at STOS BSD and Darwin
   Security Symposium; first draft of MAC fraemwork architecture and API
   guide. This is now in the Developer's Handbook.

   Next couple of months will bring continued maturity improvements, labeling
   and protection of more objects; VFS performance improvements; better
   support for UFS2 EAs and seperate EA entries for each policy; improved
   support for LOMAC; MLS compartments; IPsec security association labeling;
   improved SEBSD FLASK/TE port; and much more.

UFS2 - 64bit UFS with native extended attributes

   Contact: Poul-Henning Kamp <p...@FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Kirk McKusick <mckus...@FreeBSD.org>

   The UFS2 filesystem approaches feature completion: Extended attribute
   functionality have been added, including a new compound modification API
   and basic testing has been passed.

VM issues in -stable

   Contact: Matthew Dillon <dil...@FreeBSD.org>

   Work is in progress to MFC a number of bug fixes related to vm_map
   corruption into -stable. This work is probably too involved to make it
   into the 4.7 release but is expected to be comitted just after the freeze
   is lifted. The corruption in question typically occurs in large-memory
   systems under heavy loads and typically panics or KPFs
   (kernel-page-fault's) the machine in a vm_map related function.

    Copyright (c) 1995-2002 the FreeBSD Project. All rights reserved.