Newsgroups: fa.freebsd.hackers
From: Robert Watson <rwat...@freebsd.org>
To: develop...@freebsd.org
Cc: hack...@freebsd.org
Subject: FreeBSD Status Report, July 2001
Sender: owner-freebsd-hack...@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 15:54:38 GMT

FreeBSD Monthly Status Report, July 2001
Robert Watson <rwat...@FreeBSD.org>

  Introduction

Last month's status report was apparently a great success: I received
countless e-mails with comments, questions, and suggestions.  I've tried
to incorporate any suggestions and address any problems from these e-mails
in this month's report, which captures a far more extensive snapshot of
FreeBSD activity in the last month.  Unlike last month's report, it does a
better job of reflecting non-development activity, such as on-going
conference planning, documentation, and so on.  This is a trend I hope to
see improve in future months as well.

On the topic of conferences, in the future I'd like to report more on
publication activities relating to FreeBSD, including online journals with
articles relating to FreeBSD, paper journals, conference papers, and so
on.  Likewise, I would be interested in including references to Call for
Papers relating to FreeBSD.  I'll take this opportunity to plug both
registration and paper submission for BSDCon Europe in November, which has
status included in this report, and for the general BSD Conference being
hosted by USENIX in February.  Your attendance and submissions make these
conferences "happen", and promote FreeBSD as a platform for new research,
feature development, and application products.  Work of extremely high
calibre is performed on FreeBSD, and we need to get the word out.

  Submission for Future Editions

Next month, we're maintain much the same submission requirements: reports
should be one or two paragraphs long, sent by e-mail, and approximate the
layout of the entries this month (Project, Contact, URL, and text).  I'll
send out reminders again over the week before the deadline, with more
specific instructions.  An area where I'd like to explore improvement lies
in the coordination of related status reports for larger projects, such as
new architectural work or platform ports.  This might even have the effect
of encouraging communication within these projects :-).  I'd like to
continue to focus on pulling in a broader range of groups and their
activities, including the Security Officer, Release Engineer, and Core
Team.

  Projects

The following projects submitted summaries for the July 2001 report:

   ACPI
   ARM Port
   BIND 9
   binup
   BSDCon Europe
   CAM
   "Close a PR drive"
   Documentation Project
   Fibre Channel Support
   Hardware Watchpoints in the Kernel Debugger
   ifconfig support for IEEE 802.11 wireless devices
   jailNG
   FreeBSD Java Project
   jpman project
   Kernel Summit - Usenix 2001
   KSE threading the kernel
   FreeBSD Monthly Development Status Reports
   NetBSD rc.d port
   Netgraph ATM
   network device cloning
   Next Generation POSIX threads (NGPT)
   OLDCARD upgrade to support PCI cards
   Open Runtime Platform (ORP)
   OpenPackages
   PAM
   PowerPC Port
   PPP IPv6 Support
   Porting ppp to hurd & linux
   pppoed
   PRFW - Hooks within the FreeBSD kernel
   SCSI Tape Support
   SMPng
   SMPng mbuf allocator
   sparc64 port
   FreeBSD/sparc64 kernel loader
   SYN cache implemetation for FreeBSD
   TrustedBSD Project

  Status Reports

Project: ACPI
Contact: Mike Smith <msm...@FreeBSD.org>

  ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) is an industry
  standard which obsoletes APM, Intel MPS, PnPBIOS, and other Intel PC
  firmware interface standards.  It is also used on the IA64 platform.
  More information on ACPI is available at

  http://developer.intel.com/technology/iapc/acpi

  The FreeBSD ACPI subsystem project is based heavily on the Intel
  ACPI Component Architecture.  This status report outlines the current
  state of the project; future updates will focus on changes as they
  occur.

  The Intel ACPI interpreter is fully integrated, although bugs are still
  coming out of the woodwork occasionally.

  - PCI bus detection and interrupt routing are functional, but power
    management interaction will require work on the core PCI subsystem.
  - Non-PCI motherboard peripheral probing is implemented, but believed
    to have problems on some systems.
  - A power policy manager has been implemented.  The initial policy
    manager has two modes, "performance" and "economy".
  - CPU speed throttling is integrated with the platform power policy.
  - System thermal monitoring is implemented, but fan control is
    believed to have problems.
  - Pushbutton suspend and power-off is implemented.
  - System time-keeping using the ACPI timer is supported.
  - Battery status monitoring is implemented.

  Work is ongoing in the following areas:

  - System suspend and resume.
  - Timekeeper accuracy/reliability.
  - Power profiles.
  - User-level management interfaces.
  - PCI power management.
  - Bug-hunting.

Project: ARM Port
Contact: Stephane E. Potvin <sepot...@videotron.ca>

   The ARM port is currently going pretty well. The kernel is compiling
   and is able to boot to the point where it panics trying to initialize
   the network subsystem. The current reference platform is the Netwinder
   but this may change as many people expressed interest in a more broadly
   available platform. Things that need to be done before it can get
   further includes adding footbridge, timer and interrupt supports. The
   pmap module is not completed yet either.

Project: BIND 9
Contact: Doug Barton <do...@freebsd.org>, Jeroen Ruigrok
         <asmo...@freebsd.org>

   Now that BIND 8.2.4 is finally imported the time has come to look at
   getting BIND 9 imported into CURRENT.  The current idea is to have it
   imported alongside BIND 8 so that people can play with either one until
   all import problems have been taken care of and people have tested it a
   bit.

Project: binup
Contact: Eric Melville <e...@FreeBSD.org>

   Although gaining a new name, the project has been at a standstill due to
   both resource availability during the move between BSDi and Wind River,
   and other commitments of the developers. The project should obtain an
   official mailing list, as well as return to an active state after the
   dust settles.

Project: BSDCon Europe
Contact: Paul Richards <p...@freebsd-services.co.uk>,
         Josef Karthauser <j...@tao.org.uk>

   The conference will take place at the Thistle Hotel, Brighton, UK from
   9-11 November 2001.

   The aim of the conference is to provide a focal point for European
   users and developers of all the BSD derived operating systems. The
   format will be similar to other conferences, with 2 days of technical
   sessions over the Saturday and Sunday.

   We'll be finalizing the schedule towards the end of the month and
   anybody who is interested in doing a talk should contact us ASAP. There
   are no restrictions on the use of talks, if it's been done before we
   may still be interested in having it presented to an European audience,
   and we make no claims to the talks so speakers are free to present the
   talks again at other conferences.

   We're also still looking for sponsors.

   We had 80 pre-registrations in the first week so we're expecting a good
   turnout.

Project: CAM
Contact: mja...@freebsd.org, gi...@freebsd.org, k...@freebsd.org

   The new CAM transport code is starting to get supported in more HBAs
   and to get refined so that it does the intended per-protocol support.
   No progress on doing any SMPNG work for CAM has been made yet. This is
   a fairly high priority.

Project: "Close a PR drive"
Contact: p...@FreeBSD.org

   Thanks to various outstanding individual efforts, we are now
   down to just below 2300 open bug-reports.  This means that we
   have fought our way back to the level we had around march 2000.

Project: Documentation Project
Contact: Documentation Project <d...@FreeBSD.org>

   Work continues (in large part sponsored by WRS) on updating the
   Handbook ready for the second print edition.  There has been a flurry
   of activity in this area recently, and the ToDo list can be seen at

   http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/handbook.html

   Dima and others are doing a stellar job of keeping up with the steady
   flow of incoming PRs relating to the documentation project.

   The Developers' Handbook,

   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/index.html

   is a year old; it contains a wealth of useful content for developers
   developing on, or for, FreeBSD.  As ever, more contributions are
   always required, not only for the developers' handbook, but for all of
   the FreeBSD documentation set.

Project: Fibre Channel Support
Contact: mja...@feral.com

   The basic design hasn't changed and this project mainly is in the
   phase of continued hardening and test case development. The next
   major feature will be to fully integrate into the new CAM TRAN
   code and to fully support on the fly device addition and removal.
   The only HBA supported is QLogic at this time. Future support for
   the QLogic line is planned to have 2300 (2Gb) and IP support before
   October.

Project: Hardware Watchpoints in the Kernel Debugger
Contact: Brian Dean <b...@FreeBSD.org>

   Hardware watchpoints are now available for kernel debugging on the
   IA32 (i386) architecture.  One can now set hardware watchpoints
   using the new ddb command 'hwatch', which is analogous to the
   existing 'watch' command.  Alternatively, if greater flexibility is
   required, direct access to the debug registers is available using
   the ddb 'set' command which allows complete control over the
   processor hardware debug facilities.  Hardware watchpoints are very
   useful in tracking down those elusive memory overwrite bugs in the
   kernel.  Hardware watchpoints can even be used to set a code
   breakpoint in ROM, which is commonly found in embedded systems.

Project: ifconfig support for IEEE 802.11 wireless devices
Contact: Brooks Davis <bro...@FreeBSD.org>

   Support for configuring IEEE 802.11 wireless devices via ifconfig
   has been committed to -current and -stable.  It contains most of
   the functionality needed to configure an wireless device.  Some
   missing features are being worked on including integrated support
   for DHCP so a single entry in /etc/rc.conf can be used to fully
   configure a wireless device on a DHCP lan and setting the CTS/RTS
   threshold.  Currently the an(4) and wi(4) drivers are supported
   in -current and -stable with the awi(4) device supported in
   -current.  Further work is needed to support Frequency Hopping
   devices such as ray(4).

Project: jailNG
Contact: Robert Watson <rwat...@FreeBSD.org>

   jailNG is a from-scratch rewrite of the popular jail(8) service,
   focusing on improved management functions, as well as more fine-grained
   configurability.  An initial prototype has been written, based on
   explicitly named and configured jails, and work is proceeding on
   userland integration.  Currently, it's not clear if the timeline for
   this will be 5.0-RELEASE, or 5.1-RELEASE.

Project: FreeBSD Java Project
Contact: gle...@eyesbeyond.com

   The main development in the FreeBSD Java Project over the last month was
   the release of an initial "Developers Only" patch set for the JDK 1.3.1.
   Since that release progress had been made towards a much more usable
   alpha quality patch set which is likely to be turned into a port, as per
   the current JDK 1.2.2 patch set.  This new patch set will feature a number
   of bugfixes, which essentially get the JDK to a working state for early
   adopters, and an initial implementation of "native threads" based on
   FreeBSD's userland pthreads.  Unfortunately this implementation isn't
   fully functional, but is included in the hope of more getting more
   eyeballs on the code (particularly experience pthread programmers).
   We'd also like to welcome Fuyuhiko Maruyama-san as a new committer, the
   usual punishment for too many good patches.

Project: jpman project
Contact: man...@jp.FreeBSD.org

   We have been working to provide Japanese version of FreeBSD online
   manuals, since 1996.  Currently, RELENG_4 manuals are based.
   Translated versions are placed on doc/ja_JP.eucJP/man and provided
   to users using ports/japanese/man-doc.  Also, we discuss about
   related commands (e.g. ports/japanese/man and ports/japanese/groff).

Project: Kernel Summit - Usenix 2001
Contact: John Baldwin <j...@FreeBSD.org>

   The first FreeBSD kernel summit meeting was held June 29-30, 2001 in
   Boston, MA at the Usenix 2001 Annual Technical Conference.  Links
   to a variety of files are posted on the web site.

   Note: I (jhb) am still working on writing up a general summary of the
   meeting.  When that is completed it will be posted here and mailed to the
   -hackers mailing list.

Project: KSE threading the kernel
Contact: jul...@elischer.org

   I'm working on multithreading the kernel. So far I have over 400KB of
   diffs relative to todays -current (I'm keeping my tree updated with
   changes as they occur rather than get hit with a big update at the end).

   I have split the proc structure and am changing most of the kernel to
   pass around a thread identifier instead of a proc structure.

   The following interfaces have been changed so far:
      device devsw entries
      vfs calls
      mutexes
      events
      system calls
      scheduler
      + a lot of code in between.

   I have still a lot of work to go with a lot of "dumb editing" (s/struct
   proc \*p/struct thread \*td/) usually I change a few items and then fix
   everything that breaks when I try compile it. I'd like to check it in
   on a branch so others can help the editing but haven't worked out the
   best way to do it yet.

   I have implemented changes to the scheduler so that kse's are scheduled
   instead of processes, and threads sleep, letting the kse pick up a new
   thread. but it's not anywhere ready yet (heck it doesn't compile yet
   :-)

   Note that I have not yet updated the document listed above.. everywhere
   it mentions "ksec" or "KSE-context", the code uses the word "thread". I
   will update it soon as Jason has sent me the source.

Project: FreeBSD Monthly Development Status Reports
Contact: Robert Watson <rwat...@FreeBSD.org>,
         Chris Costello <ch...@FreeBSD.org>

   The FreeBSD Monthly Development Status Report aims to keep users and
   developers up-to-date on the latest goings-on in the FreeBSD project by
   providing summaries of each project and its status. At the time of this
   writing, the July 2001 status report is being prepared and is very near
   release.  The FreeBSD Web site now has a Status Reports section, which,
   when the July 2001 report is released, will be updated to include a
   link to an HTML-ified version.

Project: NetBSD rc.d port
Contact: do...@FreeBSD.org, sheld...@FreeBSD.org

   The NetBSD rc.d port aims to improve the FreeBSD startup process by
   porting Luke Mewburn's rc.d work from NetBSD to FreeBSD.  This will
   score FreeBSD startup and shutdown dependencies without losing the
   traditional and much loved monolithic configuration file system.

   Luke Mewburn's USENIX paper and slides on the system as implemented in
   NetBSD are available here:

   Interested parties are urged to study this material before joining the
   discussion list.

   The intention at this stage is to decide on an approach that will
   ensure that the differences between the NetBSD rc.d system and the
   system as ported to FreeBSD will be kept to a minimum.  This will
   probably involve discussions with Luke around those areas of the
   system that are identified as areas for potential improvement.

Project: Netgraph ATM
Contact: Hartmut Brandt <bra...@fokus.gmd.de>

   The goal of this project is the implementation of ATM signaling and
   other ATM protocols by means of the netgraph(4) framework. This should
   provide an easily extendible architecture for using ATM on FreeBSD.
   Currently the full UNI4.0 stack (except for the LIJ capability) has
   been implemented, including ILMI and a first version of the ATM Forum
   API for UNI. An implementation of Classical IP over ATM is also
   available. Drivers have been implemented for the Fore PCA200E and Fore
   HE-155 cards.

Project: network device cloning
Contact: Brooks Davis <bro...@FreeBSD.org>

   Network device cloning support has been imported from NetBSD.
   This allows virtual devices to be allocated on demand rather then
   being statically allocated at compile time.  Our implementation
   differs slightly from that of NetBSD's in that we allow both the
   creation of specific devices (i.e. gif0) and arbitrary devices
   instead of just allowing specific devices.  Currently, the only
   device in the tree which has been converted is the gif(4) device
   which has been converted in both -current and -stable.  Work is
   ongoing to convert all other virtual network devices with work
   in progress on faith, stf, and vlan interfaces.  In general this
   conversion is accompanied by appropriate modifications to make
   these devices fully modular.

Project: Next Generation POSIX threads (NGPT)
Contact: a...@sharmas.dhs.org

   Porting NGPT (next generation pthreads) to FreeBSD

   NGPT is an effort led by IBM engineers to implement MxN threads (also
   known as many user threads to one kernel thread mapping) on Linux.  I
   have ported it to FreeBSD to use rfork(2).

   The port is right here:

Project: OLDCARD upgrade to support PCI cards
Contact: i...@village.org
Funded by: Monzoon Networking, LLC

   This month has been a month of concentration and consolidation.  Much   of
   the changes from current have been migrating into stable. I've improved
   power support, suspend/resume interactions, interrupt handling, and
   ability to work after windows/NEWCARD has run.  Interrupt routing
   continues to be a locking issue for a complete MFC.  Current patches
   are available at the above website.  I'm racing to get this done before
   4.4 is released.

Project: Open Runtime Platform (ORP)
Contact: a...@sharmas.dhs.org, o...@egroups.com

   Information on Intel ORP - a BSD licensed Java VM is right here:

   http://www.intel.com/research/mrl/orp/

   A FreeBSD patch has been tested to work with NGPT and submitted to
   the ORP project. The patch is available here:

   http://www.sharma-home.net/~adsharma/projects/orp/orp-freebsd-1.0.5.patch.txt.gz

   There are some issues to be ironed out to make it work with FreeBSD's
   default (user level) pthread implementation.

Project: OpenPackages

   OpenPackages intends to create a software packaging system that will
   allow third-party programs to be installed, without operating system
   dependent changes, on as many platforms as are feasible.  OpenPackages
   was originally based on code from the BSD ports systems, and has been
   improved and extended by developers of many heritages.

   The OpenPackages Project is pleased to release the Milestone 2
   codebase. This release contains a working package building system and a
   single test package.  OP currently is known to build on certain
   instances of the following operating systems: FreeBSD, HP/UX, IRIX,
   Linux (Debian, Red Hat, Suse, Mandrake, TurboLinux, Caldera, etc.),
   NetBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris

Project: PAM
Contact: Mark R V Murray <m...@grondar.za>

  (First report)
  Large cleanup and extension of FreeBSD PAM modules. All modules
  are to be documented, consistent in style (style(9) used) and
  as complete as possible WRT functionality. Mostly done.

Project: PowerPC Port
Contact: be...@FreeBSD.org

  We now have the rudiments of device support.  We have a nexus driver for
  OpenFirmware machines, along with support for the Apple UniNorth PCI/AGP
  host bridge.  I'm currently trying to get the USB hardware working so that
  I can get closer to having a console driver independent of OpenFirmware,
  then I'll be trying to get the system to get to single-user mode using
  NFS.

Project: PPP IPv6 Support
Contact: br...@freebsd-services.com

  Work has begun, but nothing has yet been committed.  The NCP
  addresses used by ppp have been abstracted and initial support has
  been added to the filter set for ipv6 addresses.  NCP negotiation
  hasn't yet been started.

Project: Porting ppp to hurd & linux
Contact: br...@Awfulhak.org

  Patches have been submitted to get ppp working under HURD, and
  mostly under Linux.  There are GPL copyright problems that need to
  be addressed.

Project: pppoed
Contact: br...@freebsd-services.com

  Making pppoed function in a production environment.  Most of the
  work is complete and committed.  Additional work includes adding a
  -l option where ``-l label'' is shorthand for ``-e exec ppp -direct
  label'' and discovering why rogue child processes are being left
  around.

Project: PRFW - Hooks within the FreeBSD kernel
Contact: Evan Sarmiento <e...@open-root.org>

  PRFW is a set of hooks which I have integrated into the FreeBSD kernel.
  This allows modules to easily intercept system calls with less overhead.
  It also supports per-pid restrictions, which means, one process may not
  be able to use X function in Y manner, but another process may.

  Progress: I was working on this in 4.3-RELEASE, but now I'm merging it
  into current. I will be submitting a patch to the mailing lists in about
  a week.

Project: SCSI Tape Support
Contact: mja...@feral.com

   This driver is currently not working well under -current and is
   undergoing some work at this time. No major design or feature
   changes are planned. There was some notion of adding TapeAlert
   support, but HP supports that as a binary product via a user
   library and it was felt that it'd be more politically prudent
   to leave it alone.

Project: SMPng
Contact: Peter Wemm <pe...@FreeBSD.org>, John Baldwin <j...@FreeBSD.org>

   Development:

   In the 'smpng' p4 branch there is code to make the ast() function loop to
   close the race when an AST is triggered while we are handling previously
   triggered AST's.
   In the 'jhb_preemption' p4 branch work is being done to make the kernel
   fully preemptive.  It is reportedly stable on UP x86, but SMP x86 locks up,
   UP alpha has problems during shutdown and can recurse indefinitely until it
   exhausts its stack.

   Management:

   We are using a perforce repository for live development work, which
   can track multiple separate long-lived works-in-progress and collaborate
   between multiple developers at the same time on the same change set.

   FreeBSD-current is being imported into p4 hourly, for easy tracking
   of the moving -current tree.

   I haven't written up a good primer yet, but we're able to open this
   up to the general developer community.  NEWCARD work looks like it will
   be done here too.  Perforce is ideal for tracking this sort of long-lived
   project without having to resort to passing patches around.

   KSE work is now being checked into a kse p4 branch - thanks Julian!

   KSE work is focusing on getting the main API changes into the base
   tree well before 5.0.

Project: SMPng mbuf allocator
Contact: Bosko Milekic <bmile...@FreeBSD.org>

   mb_alloc is a specialized allocator for mbufs and mbuf clusters. It
   offers various important advantages over the old mbuf allocator,
   particularly for MP machines. Additionally, it is designed with the
   possibility of important future enhancements in mind.

   The mb_alloc code has been committed to -CURRENT a month ago and
   appears to be holding up well. Prior to committing it, preliminary
   performance measurements were done merely to ensure that it is not
   significantly worse than the old allocator, even with Giant still in
   place. Results were promising
   [http://people.freebsd.org/~bmilekic/code/mb_alloc/results.html] - also
   see jlemon's results (link at the bottom of accompanying text).  Since
   the commit, Matt Jacob has provided useful feedback and bugfixes.  Work
   is now being done to re-enable mbtypes statistics and make appropriate
   changes to netstat(1) and systat(1).

Project: sparc64 port
Contact: Jake Burkholder <j...@freebsd.org>

   The sparc64 port has been committed to the FreeBSD repository.  As such
   further development will occur in cvs, rather than as a separately
   maintained patch set.  Significant progress has been made since the
   last status report, including; support for kernel debugging with ddb,
   much more complete pmap support, support for context switching and
   process creation, and filling out of important machine dependent data
   structures.  Thomas Moestl has shown a strong interest in working on
   the port and is in the process of implementing support for saving and
   restoring a process's floating point context.  I look forward to
   working with him and any other developers that happen to fall out of
   the wood works.

Project: FreeBSD/sparc64 kernel loader
Contact: Robert Drehmel <rob...@ferrari.de>

  The sparc64 loader is functional enough to boot an ELF binary from an
  UFS filesystem using the existent openfirmware library, which has been
  revised to work flawlessly on 32-bit and 64-bit architectures.  Support
  for netbooting and modules will be implemented next, followed by a
  better openfirmware mapping strategy.

Project: SYN cache implemetation for FreeBSD
Contact: Jonathan Lemon <jle...@freebsd.org>

   This project brings a SYN cache implementation to FreeBSD, in
   order to make it more robust to DoS attacks.  A SYN cookie approach
   was considered, but ultimately rejected because it does not conform
   to the TCP protocol.  The SYN cache will work with T/TCP, IPV6 and
   IPSEC, and the size of each cache element is currently is less than
   1/5th the size of a normal TCP control block.

Project: TrustedBSD Project
Contact: Robert Watson <rwat...@FreeBSD.org>

   It's been a busy month, with a number of relevant news items.  Not
   least important is that NAI Labs was awarded a $1.2M contract from
   the US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) to work
   on a variety of components relevant to the TrustedBSD Project,
   including support for pluggable security models, and supporting
   features such as improving the extended attributes implementation,
   simple crypto support for swap and file systems, documentation, and
   much more.

   On the features side, progress continues on Mandatory Access Control,
   object labeling, and improving the consistency of kernel access
   control mechanisms--in particular, with regard to inter-process
   authorization and credential management.  Work has begun on porting
   LOMAC, NAI Labs' Low-Watermark Mandatory Access Control scheme, from
   Linux to FreeBSD, and it has been re-licensed under a BSD license.
   We hope to have an initial port complete in time for 5.0-RELEASE
   later this year.