From: Theo de Raadt < dera...@cvs.openbsd.org>
Subject: OpenBSD 2.5 Release Announcement
Date: 1999/05/19
Sender: owner-m...@openbsd.org
To: annou...@openbsd.org, m...@openbsd.org, t...@openbsd.org
Newsgroups: fa.openbsd.misc

	      ___                 ___  ___  ___      ___      ___
	     | . | ___  ___ ._ _ | . >/ __>| . \    /_, >    | __|
	     `___'|  _/\___.|_|_||___/<___/|___/    /___|<_> |___/
	          |_|

- OpenBSD 2.5 RELEASED -------------------------------------------------

May 19, 1999.

We are quite pleased to announce the official release of OpenBSD 2.5.
This marks another milestone along the path our developers started on
more than three years ago by providing significant new improvements in
nearly all areas of the system:

- Hardware support is improved		(http://www.OpenBSD.org/plat.html)
  - particularily in the i386 and sparc ports.

- Security is strengthened even more	(http://www.OpenBSD.org/security.html)
  - a bunch more security problems have been solved since 2.4
  - and some other proactive measures have been taken
  - new filtered network bridging support

- Even more cryptography is integrated	(http://www.OpenBSD.org/crypto.html)
  - A shared SSL library is now integrated into 2.5, and httpd automatically
    uses it to supply HTTPS services.  (By default only DSA support, but RSA
    support is trivially added by installing the RSA-capable libssl shared
    library package).
  - ARLA client-side AFS is integrated and improved
  - IPSEC support has improved significantly, and includes an IKE daemon.

- Many other bugs fixed			(http://www.OpenBSD.org/plus25.html)

- The "ports" tree is greatly improved	(http://www.OpenBSD.org/ports.html)
  - The 2.5 CD ships with many more pre-built packages for the common
    architectures

- Many new features
  - nearly complete pthread support
  - significant improvements to IPSEC and AFS

If you'd like to see a list of what has changed between OpenBSD 2.4 and
2.5, look at
	http://www.OpenBSD.org/plus25.html

Even though the list is a summary of the most important changes
made to OpenBSD, it still is a very very long list -- almost 500 major
changes.

This is our sixth OpenBSD release, and the fifth release which is
available on our own CDROM.  Our releases have been spaced six months
apart, and we plan to continue this timing.

- SECURITY -------------------------------------------------------------

Once again, because of our continual search for security problems,
between the creation of the OpenBSD 2.5 FTP/CDROM binaries and the
actual 2.5 release date, our team found and fixed some new security
and reliability problems (note: most are minor, and in subsystems that
are not enabled by default).  Our continued research into security
means we will find new security problems -- we always provide patches
as soon as possible.  Therefore, we advise regular visits to
	http://www.OpenBSD.org/security.html

- CDROM SALES ----------------------------------------------------------

OpenBSD 2.5 is also available on CDROM.  A 2-CD set which costs $30USD
is available via mail order and from a number of contacts around the
world.  The set includes a colourful booklet which carefully explains
the installation of OpenBSD.  Four cute little stickers are also
included (sorry, but our FTP mirror sites do not support STP, the
Sticker Transfer Protocol).  Profits from these sales are the primary
income source for the OpenBSD project -- in essence selling these
CDROM units ensures that OpenBSD will continue to make another release
six months from now.

For more information on ordering CDROMs, see
	http://www.OpenBSD.org/orders.html
The above web page lists a number of places where OpenBSD CDROMs can
be purchased from.  For our default mail order, go directly to
	https://https.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/order

The Canadian SSL ordering system has been improved so that shipping
into the USA will now take much less time, due to a distribution point
in the USA.

All of our developers strongly urge you to buy a CDROM and support our
future efforts.  As well, donations to the project are highly
appreciated, as described in more detail at
	http://www.OpenBSD.org/goals.html#funding

- T-SHIRT SALES --------------------------------------------------------

The project has also expanded it's funding base by selling t-shirts.
We have a variety of designs available, with the new and old designs,
from our web ordering system at
	https://https.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/order

- FTP/HTTP INSTALLS ----------------------------------------------------

If you choose not to buy an OpenBSD CDROM, OpenBSD can be easily
installed via either the FTP or HTTP protocols.  Typically you need a
single small piece of boot media (eg. a boot floppy) and then the rest
of the files can be installed from a number of locations, including
directly off the Internet.  The following list is a simple set of
instructions to ensure that those who install via FTP or HTTP find all
the documentation they need while doing an install (with the CDROMs,
the necessary documentation is easier to find).

1) Read either of the following two files for a list of ftp/http
   mirrors which provide OpenBSD, then choose one near you:
	http://www.OpenBSD.org/ftp.html
	ftp://ftp.OpenBSD.org/pub/OpenBSD/2.5/ftplist

2) Connect to that ftp/http mirror site and go into the
   directory pub/OpenBSD/2.5/, which contains these files and
   directories.  This is a list of what you will see:

	Changelogs/       X11.tar.gz        log25             powerpc/
	HARDWARE          alpha/            mac68k/           root.mail
	PACKAGES          amiga/            mvme88k/          sparc/
	PORTS             ftplist           packages/         src.tar.gz
	README            hp300/            pmax/             srcsys.tar.gz
	SIZES             i386/             ports.tar.gz      tools/

   It is quite likely that you will want at LEAST the following files which
   apply to all the architectures OpenBSD supports.

	README		- generic README
	HARDWARE	- list of hardware we support
	SIZES		- recommended partition sizes
	PORTS	        - description of our "ports" tree
	PACKAGES	- description of pre-compiled packages
	root.mail	- a copy of root's mail at initial login

3) Read the file README.  It is short, and a quick read will make sure you
   understand what else you need to fetch.

4) Next, go into the directory that applies to your architecture, say it
   is i386.  This is a list of what you will see:

	INSTALL.ata       INSTALL.pt        etc25.tar.gz      xfont25.tar.gz
	INSTALL.chs       MD5               floppy25.fs       xlink25.tar.gz
	INSTALL.dbr       base25.tar.gz     game25.tar.gz     xserv25.tar.gz
	INSTALL.i386      boot.catalog*     index.txt         xshare25.tar.gz
	INSTALL.linux     bsd*              man25.tar.gz
	INSTALL.mbr       bsd.rd*           misc25.tar.gz

   If you are new to OpenBSD, fetch _at least_ the file INSTALL.i386 and
   floppy25.fs; the README file lists both as required for installation.

5) If you are an expert, follow the instructions in the file called README;
   otherwise, use the more complete instructions in the file called
   INSTALL.i386.  INSTALL.i386 may tell you that you need to fetch other
   files.

6) Just in case, take a peek at:
	http://www.OpenBSD.org/errata.html
   This is the page where we talk about the mistakes we made while
   creating the 2.5 release, or the significant bugs we fixed
   post-release which we think our users should have fixes for.  Patches
   and workarounds are clearly described there.

Note: If you end up needing to write a raw floppy using MSDOS, look in
      pub/OpenBSD/2.5/tools for the "rawrite.*" files.

- XFree86 FOR MOST ARCHITECTURES ---------------------------------------

XFree86 has been integrated more closely into the system.  This
release contains XFree86 3.3.3 patch 1.  Most of our architectures
ship with XFree86, even the sparc and alpha.  During installation, you
can install XFree86 quite easily.  Be sure to try out xdm(1) and see
how we have customized it for OpenBSD.

- PORTS TREE -----------------------------------------------------------

The OpenBSD ports tree contains automated instructions for building
third party software.  The software has been verified to build and run
on the various OpenBSD architectures.  The 2.5 ports collection,
including many of the distribution files, is included on the 2-CD set.
Please see PORTS file for more information.

Note: some of the most popular ports, e.g. the apache web server and
several X applications, are now a standard part of OpenBSD.  Also,
other popular ports have been pre-compiled for those who do not desire
to build their own binaries (see PACKAGES, below).

RSA support can be added to the shared ssl libraries by installing
the libssl package.

- BINARY PACKAGES WE PROVIDE -------------------------------------------

A number of binary packages are provided.  Please see PACKAGES file
(ftp://ftp.OpenBSD.org/pub/OpenBSD/PACKAGES) for more details.
We especially recommend the use of the ssh package.

- SYSTEM SOURCE CODE ---------------------------------------------------

The CDROMs contain source code for all the subsystems explained above,
and the README (ftp://ftp.OpenBSD.org/pub/OpenBSD/README) file
explains how to deal with these source files.  For those who are doing
an FTP/HTTP install, the source code for all four subsystems can be
found in the pub/OpenBSD/2.5/ directory:

	X11.tar.gz     ports.tar.gz   src.tar.gz     srcsys.tar.gz

- THANKS ---------------------------------------------------------------

OpenBSD 2.5 introduces the new Cop daemon image done by cartoonist
Ty Semeka.  CDROM artistic layout was done by Fred Holliss with
further help from Ty.  Ports tree and package building by Marco S
Hyman, Marc Espie, and Brad Smith. System builds by Theo de Raadt,
Niklas Hallqvist, Todd Fries, Dale Rahn, Steve Murphree, Mats O
Jansson, and Bob Beck.  ISO-9660 filesystem layout by Theo de Raadt.

We would like to thank all of the people who sent in bug reports, bug
fixes, donation cheques, hardware that we use.  We would also like to
thank those who bought our previous CDROMs.  Those who did not support
us financially have still helped us with our goal of improving the
quality of the software.

- LIST OF FTP SITES ----------------------------------------------------

The following list should be helpful for those who want to install
OpenBSD via FTP.

ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD			Edmonton, Canada
ftp://ftp1.usa.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD			Michigan, USA
ftp://ftp.op.net/pub/OpenBSD				Pennsylvania, USA
ftp://ftp.de.openbsd.org/pub/unix/OpenBSD		Germany
ftp://ftp.jp.openbsd.org/OpenBSD			Japan
ftp://ftp.dti.ad.jp/pub/OpenBSD				Japan
ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/OpenBSD				France
ftp://ftp.msoe.edu/pub/OpenBSD				Milwaukee, USA
ftp://ftp.univ-evry.fr/pub/OpenBSD			France
ftp://ftp.eu.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD			Switzerland
ftp://lager.ucs.ualberta.ca/pub/OpenBSD			Edmonton, Canada
ftp://ftp.eecs.umich.edu/pub/OpenBSD			Michigan, USA
ftp://obsd.compmore.net/pub/OpenBSD			Kanata, Canada
ftp://ftp.geek-girl.com/pub/OpenBSD			Illinois, USA
ftp://ftp.stacken.kth.se/pub/OpenBSD			Stockholm, Sweden
ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/OpenBSD			London, UK
ftp://ftp.th.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD			Thailand
ftp://ftp.au.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD			Australia
ftp://sunsite.kren.ne.kr/pub/OS/OpenBSD			South Korea
ftp://ftp.calyx.nl/pub/OpenBSD				The Netherlands
ftp://openbsd.rug.ac.be/pub/OpenBSD			Belgium
ftp://ftp.it.net.au/mirrors/OpenBSD			Australia
ftp://ftp.radio-msu.net/pub/OpenBSD			Moscow, Russia
ftp://ftp.sunet.se:/pub/OpenBSD				Uppsala, Sweden
ftp://ftp3.usa.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD			Colorado, USA
ftp://ftp.netlab.is.tsukuba.ac.jp/pub/os/OpenBSD	Ibaraki, Japan
ftp://ftp.tut.ac.jp/pub/OpenBSD				Japan
ftp://ftp.plig.org/pub/OpenBSD				London, UK
ftp://ftp.it.net.au/pub/OpenBSD				Australia
ftp://vs.itam.nsc.ru/pub/OpenBSD			Novosibirsk, Russia
ftp://ftp.task.gda.pl/pub/OpenBSD			Poland
ftp://openbsd.csie.nctu.edu.tw/pub/OpenBSD		Taiwan
ftp://ftp.netasset.com/pub/OpenBSD			Fresno, CA, USA
ftp://ftp.chg.ru/pub/OpenBSD				Chernogolovka, Russia
ftp://mirror.nucba.ac.jp/mirror/OpenBSD			Aichi, Japan
ftp://uiarchive.uiuc.edu/pub/systems/OpenBSD		Urbana, IL, USA
ftp://quasar.uvt.ro/pub/OpenBSD				Timisoara, Romania
ftp://ftp.nz.openbsd.org				New Zealand

The following list should be helpful for those who want to install
OpenBSD via HTTP.

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/ftp/pub/OpenBSD		Colorado, USA
http://www.ualberta.ca/FTP/OpenBSD			Edmonton, Canada
http://ftp6.usa.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD			Illinois, USA