From: Paul Borman <p...@bsdi.com>
Subject: BSD/OS 4.0
Date: 1998/01/24
To: bsdi-us...@bsdi.com
Newsgroups: cs-monolit.gated.lists.bsdi-users

Two initial comments:

    1)	This is in no way an official announcement from BSDI

    2)	This is not an invitation to ask questions about 4.0
	I don't plan to respond to questions (self preservation)

I am sorry to start out that way, but ...

I don't recall what all was officially said when BSD/OS 3.1
was announced.  However, even at that time BSDI was well on its
way to producing BSD/OS 4.0.  I am very excited about the 4.0
product and think all of you will be as well.

Some of the features we have announced <http://www.bsdi.com/press/19971210>
are:

	IPv6
	IPsec
	ELF and dynamic libraries
	Frame Relay
	MP support
	Packet Filtering

We are still building our binaries with static shared libraries, but
they are now in ELF format, as is the kernel.

The packet filtering code was developed at BSDI and is not based on any
of the other packages out there.  We believe it to be very flexible and
reasonably low overhead.

As I said, please do not ask for more details, I really can't provide
them.  I have heard there has been quite a bit of discussion for a
4.0 wish list.  Unfortunately it is getting bit late for most of that,
but I hope you appreciate being reminded of the above.  A good time to
make requests for the release following 4.0 will be right after 4.0 is
released, that is when we will be planning the next release.  I would
like to suggest you contact BSDI Sales or Support with your suggestions
(we want to hear from you!).  BSDI does not officially read this list,
so posting hear is not a very good channel.  (I only know of this
discussion because someone told me about it.)

Finally, the Internet Server is not our only product!  You may have
heard of the BEST program (BSDI Embedded Systems Technology) out of
which e/BSD is coming.  If you are interested in e/BSD you really need
to talk to BSDI Sales (it is not a shrink wrapped product).  Of course,
wandering around our web pages would help, too.  For more info on the
BEST program go visit <http://www.BSDI.COM/products/eBSD/>.  We have
other projects as well, though you will understand when I say that not
everything we are working on is ready to be announced (or will even be
released).

I wish I could tell you when BSD/OS 4.0 will be released, but even if
I knew, it is not in my place to make such an announcement.  The above
mentioned press announcement had the line:

    "In early 1998, the company plans to deliver the following:"

You may take that for what it is worth.

While I am sure there are many wonderful discussions that I could enter
into on what I have written above, please don't try.  I already have
enough work to do.

We have been working hard since 1991, when we were formed, and continue
to do so.

As I mentioned, this is not an official announcement of any kind.  These
are my own personal views.

			    -Paul Borman
			     BSDI Engineering

PS:  If you have an immediate need for Frame Relay support in 3.1, please
     contact BSDI Support.  I will probably be making a patch kit for 3.1,
     but it will be beta software, not released software, and will be made
     available through our support team.