From: Howard Fried <how...@sco.COM>
Subject: COME 'N' GET IT!  FREE* UNIX STAMPEDE ROLLS ON
Date: 1996/10/09
sender: ed...@xenitec.on.ca (Ed Hew)
organization: XeniTec Consulting Services, Kitchener, ON, Canada
followup-to: comp.unix.sco.misc
newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.announce

[FORWARDED LIVE FROM UNIX EXPO by howard for bri...@sco.com]

=======================

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE	CONTACT:
	Monika Laud
	SCO
	TEL:  408/427-7421
	FAX: 408/427-5448
	moni...@sco.com

COME 'N' GET IT!  FREE* UNIX STAMPEDE ROLLS ON

Free SCO OpenServer Licensed By Thousands, Free* SCO UnixWare on the
Horizon, and Low-Cost Educational Source Code Licenses Planned

SANTA CRUZ, CA (October 8, 1996) -- The mania continues around Free UNIX
licenses as SCO (NASDAQ:SCOC) today announced the quantity of Free SCO
OpenServer licenses are far ahead of expectations since the company's
original announcement during SCO Forum96 in August. The company also
announced two new programs -- the availability of Free SCO UnixWare
licenses in January 1997, and low-cost, source code licenses for the SCO
UnixWare operating system exclusively for universities and other
educational institutions.

In the seven weeks since SCO Forum96, SCO has processed over 8,000 Free
SCO OpenServer licenses, surpassing original expectations. The
demographics of licensees indicate a large number of students and
technical home users are taking advantage of this offer. To gauge the
licensing form that have been filled with gushing remarks, like, "This
is the most fantastic thing 'any' UNIX vendor has ever offered!" and "At
last, REAL UNIX becomes free!"

"We thought this over for quite some time and decided to just move
forward, knowing that this bold move would have a positive impact in the
industry," said Scott McGregor, SCO's senior vice president, Products.
"To say we're pleased is an understatement. We wanted to get SCO
OpenServer into the hands of students and home users who will experiment
with it, develop on it, and bring a new level of interest to UNIX. Well,
it's happening. Now we are solidifying our stewardship of UNIX by
offering educational source code licenses and Free SCO UnixWare
licenses. It's our belief that the thousands who acquire these licenses
will benefit from better understanding the technology that laid the
foundation for the Internet, Business Critical computing, and
heterogeneous computing -- three of the most important computing models
of today."

The sector seeing the most significant benefits from Free SCO OpenServer
is the educational community. Mary Anne Saunders, Ed.D., Associate
Professor and Director of the Center for International Training and
Education at George Washington University sees this offer to students as
being vital to advancing the UNIX program and expanding the interest in
the UNIX system.

"We have been a part of SCOs University Seeding Program for quite some
time and have experienced a great demand for UNIX operators, but have
been limited by class space, time and money," said Saunders. "Now with
Free SCO OpenServer, our students can take the product home, freeing up
lab time and allowing our classes to support more students, while
accelerating their learning, and broadening the appeal and understanding
of UNIX systems. And all of this at a price universities and educational
institutions all over the world can afford. This is fantastic!"

According to Dr. Alexander J. Annala, Ph.D., Senior Research Fellow, at
the University College London, "I applaud SCO's decision to make a
commercial quality UNIX system and set of development tools available
without charge to individuals and academic institutions. Traditionally,
the gift of high technology products to academic institutions tends to
foster creativity and innovation, often leading to new discoveries and
rapid advances in technology. In line with this tradition, I anticipate
Free SCO OpenServer will spark the imagination of our students, support
the emergence of new technologies, and make a lasting contribution to
the information infrastructure of our schools."

Free SCO UnixWare and Low -Cost Educational Source Code Licenses
With the announcement of Free SCO OpenServer licenses at SCO Forum96 in
August, SCO also promised free licenses of SCO's enterprise-class
operating system, SCO UnixWare. The promise will be delivered in January
of 1997 as SCO will make free licenses available from its Web site.
Licenses are available for educational and non-commercial to be used for
evaluation purposes or to set up a Web server.

In addition to the Free UnixWare product, SCO also plans to offer
educational institutions low-cost, source code licenses for the SCO
UnixWare operating system. This will provide a unique opportunity for
computer science faculty and students to explore and better understand
the internal operation and architecture of UNIX technology. The source
code is restricted to educational institutions and is limited to uses
directly related to teaching and degree granting programs. Eligible
educational institutions can license the source product directly from
SCO for $5,000. For more information please contact the SCO University
Seeding Program by sending an email to ca...@sco.com.

How Do I Get Free SCO OpenServer Today?
To register for a Free SCO OpenServer license and to order the media
over the Web, go to: http://www3.sco.com/Products. Free SCO OpenServer
is licensed for educational and non-commercial use for purposes of
evaluating and better understanding the UNIX operating system. The
license is free, and product media, if needed, costs $19.

About SCO
SCO is the world's leading supplier of UNIX server and host systems, and
a leading provider of client-integration software that integrates
Windows PCs and other clients with UNIX servers from all major vendors.
SCO Business Critical Servers run the critical, day-to-day operations of
large branch organizations in retail, finance, telecom, and government,
as well as corporate departments and small to medium-sized businesses of
every kind. SCO sells and supports its products through a worldwide
network of distributors, resellers, systems integrators, and OEMs. For
additional corporate and product information, see SCO's home page on the
World Wide Web: http://www.sco.com.
###

SCO, The Santa Cruz Operation, the SCO logo, SCO OpenServer and UnixWare
are trademarks or registered trademarks of The Santa Cruz Operation,
Inc. in the USA and other countries. UNIX is a registered trademark in
the US and other countries, licensed exclusively through X/Open Company
Limited. All other brand or product names are or may be trademarks of,
and are used to identify products or services of, their respective
owners.