From: kols...@BSDI.COM (Rob Kolstad)
Subject: Re: What is "BSD"?
Date: 1995/08/21
sender: Rob Kolstad <kols...@bsdi.com>
references: <CGD.95Aug20032937@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU> <4199pv$skk@cnn.nas.nasa.gov>
organization: Berkeley Software Design, Inc.
newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.misc
summary: BSDI owns `BSD' trademark but shares it at no charge

BSDI does, in fact, own the trademark on BSD.

Why?

Because otherwise any random person could create a product, e.g.,
a news-server for Windows/NT, and call it the `BSD news server'.
Or worse, they could sell the BSD Internet Server (or any other
product that causes confusion with our company's products).

So how do we deflect criticism that we are appropriating all these
wonderful assets from the community of freely-redistributable
programmers?

We let people (like FreeBSD) use the trademark for free and have
a simple legal document that effectively says, ``We understand
FreeBSD is FreeBSD and BSDI's BSD is BSDI's BSD''.

I don't understand why cgd has stirred this pot -- I think we're
probably doing the right thing both for us and for the BSD community.

If your project needs to use the BSD trademark, please send e-mail
to me at kols...@bsdi.com, I'm sure we can come to an easy
accomodation.

RK

         /\      Rob Kolstad           Berkeley Software Design, Inc.
      /\/  \     kols...@bsdi.com      5575 Tech Center Dr. #110
     /  \   \    719-593-9445          Colorado Springs, CO  80918