From cgd@agate.berkeley.edu Sat May 14 01:50:48 1994
From: cgd@agate.berkeley.edu (Chris G. Demetriou)
Newsgroups: comp.os.386bsd.announce
Subject: Announcing FreeBSD 1.1 RELEASE
Date: 6 May 1994 13:41:32 -0700

The FreeBSD team is very pleased to announce FreeBSD 1.1 Release, our
second full distribution of the FreeBSD Operating System.

FreeBSD 1.1 represents a milestone in our free software efforts, both
technically and legally.  For quite some time, the future of BSD has
been somewhat in doubt due to the UCB/USL lawsuit, and all Net/2
derived distributions have rested on uncertain legal ground.  With the
resolution of the lawsuit, and subsequent clarification and agreements
>from USL on our distribution terms, we can bring you this distribution
without legal ambiguity, and with clear plans for a fully unencumbered
future.

Technically, FreeBSD 1.1 offers much over FreeBSD 1.0.2.  Here are some
of the more significant new features added since 1.0.2:

o	The Virtual Memory system has undergone very significant improvement.
	Performance on "low memory" (4MB) machines should now be quite
	reasonable, and interactive performance on all machine types has
	been vastly improved.

o	"Sun style" shared libraries.

o	Support for QIC-40 and QIC-80 tapes.

o	Much better floppy support (can format floppies, use different
	densities easily, etc).

o	The Mitsumi CD-ROM is now fully supported.

o	More ethernet cards supported (WD8013W, WD8003W, WD8003EB,
	3C509, Toshiba, SMC Ultra).

o	Ability to boot FreeBSD machines diskless from a fileserver.

o	SYSV IPC, messaging, and semaphore support.

o	Support for Yellow Pages.

o	/proc filesystem.

o	New SCSI system.

o	Support for primitive Windows emulation (WINE).

o	Many many user suggested enhancements for improving system
	messages, debugging support, documentation, etc.

o	Too many bug fixes and miscellaneous enhancements to mention.

Much more detail on all of this is provided in the file
`/usr/src/sys/doc/Changes', which you are encouraged to examine.

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
---------------------

Q. WHAT IS THE FUTURE OF FREEBSD?

A. Due to our agreements with USL, and the new legal clarification of Net/2's
   status, FreeBSD 1.1 will be the LAST Net/2 based release of FreeBSD.

   Subsequent releases of FreeBSD will based on the BSD 4.4 LITE code, with
   all future releases of FreeBSD being completely `unencumbered'.  We have
   been allowed to distribute FreeBSD 1.1 as one last `encumbered but legal'
   distribution, and users may continue to use it freely until our next
   release.  Those interested in producing new distributions of FreeBSD,
   commercial or otherwise, should, however, consult with both us and USL
   before taking any such action (this does not include merely making the
   standard release available by ftp or otherwise non-commercially on the net).
   We would nonetheless advise that anyone considering such things
   wait for our next release, since it will be possible to redistribute it
   with no stipulations on redistribution (commercial or otherwise) whatsoever.

   People who are interested in knowing more about (or, even better,
   participating in) the process of moving to 4.4 LITE are encouraged to
   write to us at:

		freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com

   We would also like to take this opportunity to encourage all interested
   parties, both private and corporate, to join us in helping to make FreeBSD
   the kind of robust, standards-driven, highly featureful and (above all)
   freely available operating system we feel the UNIX world needs to make
   UNIX a truly open solution for the future.  The 4.4 LITE integration task
   ahead of us promises great rewards but will also require significant
   effort. Since we are an all-volunteer effort, your assistance is not
   only highly appreciated, but very necessary to the future success of
   FreeBSD.  Please contact us!  Those with code or programmer time to
   offer (especially in the commercial sector) are most strongly encouraged.

Q. HOW DO I UPGRADE FROM 1.0.2?

A. Given that 1.1 represents a MAJOR upgrade over 1.0, we cannot provide
   a binary upgrade strategy (it would be larger than the entire release!)
   and must regrettably make the same stipulation that the "big boys" do,
   namely, `please back up your user files and reinstall.'

   That said, if you've got space for the _source distribution_ then you can
   skip grabbing the 1.1 binary distribution altogether and simply use the
   upgrade script provided to fully upgrade to 1.1 from source.  This is the
   easiest way of going about it if you've got the disk space to spare.

   If you've installed an earlier BETA or GAMMA release of FreeBSD 1.1, it's
   a significantly easier upgrade and source patches are (or will be shortly)
   provided on network sites where FreeBSD 1.1 is distributed.

Q. WHERE CAN I OBTAIN FREEBSD FROM THE NET?

A. As always, you may grab the release from:

	freebsd.cdrom.com:~ftp/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-1.1-RELEASE

   However, I'd like to STRONGLY urge you to look on one of the mirror
   sites first!  Our poor machine is sitting at the end of a T1 line and
   tends to bog down rather badly when too many folks try to ftp to it at
   the same time.

   The FreeBSD release is being mirrored at the following locations, and if
   you don't see the RELEASE bits there yet, please allow some time to elapse
   for the mirror to properly grab it and try again.

FREEBSD MIRROR SITES
--------------------

Country		Site/Directory/Maintainer
=======		=========================================================

Austria		ftp.tu-graz.ac.at:/pub/FreeBSD
		<ftp@ftp.tu-graz.ac.at>

Finland		ftp.funet.fi:/pub/unix/FreeBSD
		<unix-adm@nic.funet.fi>

France		ftp.ibp.fr:/pub/FreeBSD
		<ftp@ftp.ibp.fr>

Germany		ftp.informatik.tu-muenchen.de:/pub/comp/os/bsd/FreeBSD
		<bsd@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>

Germany		ftp.uni-duisburg.de:/pub/unix/FreeBSD
		<ftp@ftp.uni-duisburg.de>

Germany		gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de:/pub/FreeBSD
		<kuku@acds.physik.rwth-aachen.de>

Hong Kong	ftp.cs.cuhk.hk:/pub/FreeBSD
		<unknown>

Israel		orgchem.weizmann.ac.il:/pub/FreeBSD
		<serg@klara.weizmann.ac.il>

Netherlands	ftp.nl.net:/pub/os/FreeBSD
		<archive@nl.net>

Russia		ftp.kiae.su:/FreeBSD
		<arcman@kiae.su>

UK		src.doc.ic.ac.uk:/packages/FreeBSD
		<wizards@doc.ic.ac.uk>

USA		gatekeeper.dec.com:/pub/BSD/FreeBSD
		<jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>

USA		freebsd.uml.edu:/FreeBSD
		<oneill@cs.uml.edu>

USA		wuarchive.wustl.edu:/systems/unix/FreeBSD
		<archives@wugate.wustl.edu>

You will also want to grab a copy of the new FAQ, the most up-to-date
copy of which is always in:

	freebsd.cdrom.com:~ftp/pub/FreeBSD/FAQ

This contains very useful information about our mailing lists, hardware
supported and a host of other things.

As always, we hope you enjoy FreeBSD as much as we have enjoyed
producing it!

				The FreeBSD Team

From jkh@nx.ilo.dec.com Sun Jul  3 20:57:05 1994
From: jkh@nx.ilo.dec.com (Jordan Hubbard)
Newsgroups: comp.os.386bsd.announce
Subject: [FreeBSD]  FreeBSD 1.1.5 RELEASE is now available
Date: 29 Jun 1994 20:43:53 -0700
Sender: cgd@agate.berkeley.edu

The FreeBSD group is pleased to announce their final Net/2 based
release, FreeBSD 1.1.5.  This release represents a substantial
improvement over FreeBSD 1.1R, and we'd like to encourage everyone to
upgrade to this relesae as it will be the last release for awhile
while we devote our full energies to producing FreeBSD 2.0.

FreeBSD 1.1.5R is available in:

	freebsd.cdrom.com:~ftp/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-1.1.5-RELEASE

This will truly be the last 1.x release, and this release heralds the
end of the Net/2 based FreeBSD distribution.  The next release from
this group will be FreeBSD 2.0, and entirely 4.4 LITE based.

This release contains everything but the patch file for upgrading from
1.1R to 1.1.5R, which will have to wait a little longer while I stare
at the output produced by CVS and try to untie all the various
weirdnesses that have no doubt entered the tree (and no doubt with
substantial help from Rod, who's done this before).  I promise to get
both of these out ASAP so that 1.1.5R is quickly usable by all
segments of our user base.

Here's a brief list of what's new in 1.1.5 (from the WHATS_NEW file):

-- KERNEL IMPROVEMENTS SINCE FreeBSD 1.1 --

1) Bounce buffers. This allows systems to use bus master ISA controllers
   in systems with more than 16MB of memory.

2) VM performance improvements. Many new enhancements to the Mach derived
   VM system including page table preloading (dramatically reduces page
   faults); page usage statistics gathering (improves page replacement
   thus reducing thrashing); clustered page-ins and page-outs (reduces
   paging I/O overhead).

3) Overall kernel performance improvements. Some critical functions have
   been inlined; the trap, pmap, and other critical code has been
   optimized, etc.

4) Improved scheduling algorithm. Improves interactive performance on
   busy machines, expecially in cases where lots of software builds are
   occurring.

5) Disk I/O clustering. Improves the I/O speed dramatically on most disk
   drives.

6) Vastly superior optional floating point emulator from Bill Metzenthen.
   Faster and more reliable/accurate/complete emulation and has fewer bugs.
   Provided as an option in the kernel (the original emulator is still
   the default).

7) IP Multicast support. Allows reception of Internet multicast packets.

8) Improved sound support. Version 2.5 of Hannu Savolainen's VoxWare sound
   drivers. Supports SoundBlaster, PAS, GUS, and other common sound boards.

9) New device support for the ST01/ST02 and Future Domain 950 SCSI adapters.

10) X10 device driver from Gene Stark for X-10 style remote power control.
   (such as Radio Shack "Plus 'n Power")

11) PS/2 mouse driver from Erik Forsberg.

12) Busmouse driver from Rick Macklem.

13) IBM/National PCMCIA ethernet driver from Keith Moore.

14) Improved floppy driver support.

15) Much improved syscons driver (now default) with user-editable ascii
    keymaps and many other new features.

16) Many improvements and fixes to nearly every supported device driver.

17) Many improvements and fixes scattered throughout the kernel.

-- USER CODE IMPROVEMENTS SINCE FreeBSD 1.1 --

1)  Man pages now compressed by default, saving quite a bit of space for
    small configurations.

2)  "Secure key" freely distributable encryption support.

3)  Many many bug fixes and miscellaneous enhancements.

4)  Sun math library now available for faster FPU support (see #5).

5)  New /etc/make.conf mechanism allows users to tailor how their systems
    are built (from source) and switch various options on and off.

6)  C++ shared libs are now fully supported (and libg++ shared by default).

Thanks from all in the FreeBSD development group for all the kind help
and good wishes we received during all of our previous 1.x releases!
We couldn't have done it without you, and we hope that our 2.0 future
will be an even brighter one for all concerned!

Regards,

				Jordan
				(FreeBSD core team)

From jkh@whisker.hubbard.ie Fri Jul  8 16:09:47 1994
From: jkh@whisker.hubbard.ie (Jordan Hubbard)
Newsgroups: comp.os.386bsd.announce
Subject: [FreeBSD] FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 is now available on gatekeeper.dec.com
Date: 5 Jul 1994 10:06:53 -0700
Sender: cgd@agate.berkeley.edu

This is a convenience release targeted primarily at people who have
not yet upgraded to FreeBSD 1.1.5R.  It fixes a couple of trivial but
annoying problems in the release process (not the sources themselves).

gatekeeper.dec.com:~ftp/pub/BSD/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-1.1.5.1-RELEASE

Those who have already upgraded to 1.1.5R should read the
`WHATS_NEW-1.1.5.1' file for information on what steps to take to come
up to the level of 1.1.5.1R (they're very simple, don't panic).

Thanks!

					Jordan

--
Jordan K. Hubbard	FreeBSD core team	Friend to mollusks
--

From jkh@whisker.hubbard.ie Sun Jul 10 16:23:15 1994