From: kols...@BSDI.COM (Rob Kolstad)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd
Subject: BSDI BSD/386 Update
Date: 12 Aug 1992 13:45:26 -0400

This is a quick progress report on things at BSDI.

The first Gamma tapes have been shipped to our engineers.  First customer
Gamma tapes will be shipped later this week.  We'll be doing new Gamma
releases about every two weeks until all the functionality works and the
release is considered solid.  We're running about a week behind the latest
publicly-announced schedule, and are still hoping to make first production
shipment around September 30th or so (it could be a week or two later).

8514 support (e.g., ATI Graphic Ultra) is working -- and it's incredibly
fast.  The DOS execution mode has only one known bug; it boots in less
than three seconds our 486/25.  Autoconfiguration and expanded device
support are in -- and they comprise the main focus of the first Gamma
release.  They seem to be OK so far.  DOS Co-residency is slated for the
next Gamma cut (*sigh*).

We'll be announcing new pricing soon, but I wanted to share one highlight
since school is getting ready to start:

	Educational Site License:	$2,000/year

An educational site is typified by the University of Oklahoma's Norman
campus, not the entire State of Oklahoma higher education system.  The
license includes telephone support with a single point of contact and
complete ugprades.  The license authorizes an unlimited number of source
and binary copies (including at students' and faculty homes), as long as
the software is returned when the student/faculty are no longer affiliated
with the University.

I can't discuss our legal situation here but wish to extend thanks to all
of our supporters.  My mailbox has been quite lively the last few
months.

We are continuing on our release schedule and will be conducting business
as usual.

Please contact me for more information.

							RK

--
         /\      Rob Kolstad           Berkeley Software Design, Inc.
      /\/  \     kols...@bsdi.com      7759 Delmonico Drive