From: stick...@utrio.helsinki.fi (Patrick Stickler)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd
Subject: Any info on BSDI's BSD/386 port?
Date: 23 Apr 92 06:01:09 GMT
Sender: n...@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Uutis Ankka)

Does anyone have any detailed information about the port of BSD for
386/486 machines to be marketed by the company BSDI? There was a short
blurb in the April issue of Byte. It's NOT the same port as the
currently available pd version of 386BSD. This is supposed to be a
commercially supported port of BSD for supposedly $995, including
source code. If anyone has any further info about it, I'd appreciate
you passing it on to me.

Please respond via email. I'll post a summary of any significant

Thanks,

     Patrick Stickler       Research Unit for Computational Linguistics
  stick...@cc.helsinki.fi       Department of General Linguistics
     (+358 0) 4020366            University of Helsinki, Finland
        The comments contained herein cannot reflect the official
           views of my employer.  (proof left for the reader)

>Does anyone have any detailed information about the port of BSD for
>386/486 machines to be marketed by the company BSDI? There was a short
>blurb in the April issue of Byte. It's NOT the same port as the
>currently available pd version of 386BSD. This is supposed to be a
>commercially supported port of BSD for supposedly $995, including
>source code.

This information is all correct.

>If anyone has any further info about it, I'd appreciate
>you passing it on to me.

BSDI is available from

	Berkeley Software Design International
	3110 Fairview Park Drive
	Suite 580
	Falls Church VA 22042
	Phone: +1-800-800-4BSD (USL didn't like the previous number,
			       +1-800-BSD-UNIX ;-)
        Mail: b...@bsdi.com

in Europe, contact

	Berkeley Software Design International (Europe) Ltd.
	Katallin
	Town Lane
	Chartham Hatch
	Canterbury
	Kent CT4 7NN
	England
	Phone: +44-227-781675
	Mail: b...@hillside.co.uk

As you say, it's a complete implementation, and should come up with no
problems, no compilation, no FP coprocessor. It is, however, strongly
related to 386BSD: Bill Jolitz worked for BSDI until last December,
and the original code base is the same. I have been using the beta
version for about 6 weeks now, and find it extremely reliable (more so
than "production" versions of System V). A general release is planned
for some time this summer. If you have any specific questions, I will
be glad to try to answer them, as would Peter Collinson of BSDI
Europe.
Greg Lehey                       | Public access UNIX available - try BSDI
LEMIS                            | out on our machine! Mail and news
W-6324 Schellnhausen 2           | connections available
Germany                          | Fax: +49-6637-1489
Tel: +49-6637-1488               | Mail: grog%le...@Germany.Eu.net