Newsgroups: comp.unix.sysv386
From: kols...@uunet.uu.net (Rob Kolstad)
Subject: BSDI Information
Sender: use...@uunet.uu.net (UseNet News)
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1992 21:45:46 GMT

INTRODUCTION

	My name is Rob Kolstad and I am the Program Manager at Berkeley
Software Design, Inc. (BSDI), the folks who are marketing a Berkeley UNIX
system for the 386/486.  I am currently the company spokesperson and will
be dealing with customers (individuals and OEMs).

	This note may appear to have somewhat of a commercial flavor -- but
numerous requests for information have come through this particular forum in
the last few months (along with much speculation about what's going on).
This note answers the following questions:

	* Who can I talk to at BSDI?
	* Why BSDI?  Why now?
	* What are BSDI's products? What are the prices?  What services
	  are offered?  What guarantees?
	* When is all this software available?  What is the delivery schedule?

WHY BSDI

	PC hardware, with the 486 and high clock speeds, now competes
favorably with low-end workstations for performance (and thus competes very
favorably on price-performance).

	Many users want a running, full-functioned UNIX system and its
source but aren't getting it due to trade secrets and pricing policies.
Many people want Berkeley's UNIX release (for its ease of use and ease of
administration) but can't get it for their hardware for a variety of
reasons.

	These facts combine to motivate BSDI's product.

	BSDI's first offering is a full-featured operating system for
PC's.  It participates in the revolution in PC software which has brought
full networking facilities and POSIX compatibility to the user and starts
to make PCs almost indistinguishable from their more expensive cousins,
the workstations.  The offering includes not only a complete set of Base
System Software but also complete sources from which you can build all
components of the system.

WHAT'S IN BSDI'S FIRST PRODUCT

	BSDI's first product is called BSD/386 and includes a kernel and
associated utilities.  BSD/386 is based on the Networking Software Release
2 of "Berkeley UNIX", developed by the Computer Systems Research Group at
the University of California, Berkeley.  As there is no USL licensed code
in BSDI's product, there is no royalty fee to USL.  This significantly
reduces the cost of the system and enables BSDI to provide a complete
source distribution at less than 1% of the USL source license prices.

	BSDI has invested several man years in the creation of the missing
pieces from the CSRG Net 2 distribution so that it runs on the 386/486
architecture.  Of course, device drivers, booting schemes, and
documentation also have required significant effort.

	BSD/386 also inclues a many other, non-CSRG utilities including
the complete X11R5 window system (with many display drivers).  Here's a
quick summary of the highest level features of BSD/386:

	. Full TCP/IP and OSI networking
	. NFS (including optional tcp-nfs)
	. X11R5
	. Text processing software (groff, TEX, etc.)
	. POSIX functionality
	. ANSI C and C++
	. Fast filesystem, in-core filesystem

The distribution includes complete source -- source for all binaries
included.  The distribution also includes all the online manual pages.
Those users who require printed manuals will be able to purchase them as
well.

	Many people have asked:  What binary-compatibility standards are
followed?  Can I run third-party binaries?  It is the intention of BSD/386
to run Sys V Rel 3.2 (including SCO UNIX) binaries by the third quarter of
1992, thus enabling access to a wealth of third party software.  By the
end of the year, we intend to supply a DOS emulation package, thus opening
the world of thousands of PC software packages in a windowed, networked
environment.  Of course, BSD/386 uses ANSI-compliant compilers and include
files.  The utilities comply with POSIX 1003.1 and 1003.2 to the best of
our ability, given the state of the standards.

	Many have asked ``When will BSDI release kernels on other
architectures?''  We are currently focusing all our efforts on the 386/486
software and will make further announcements only when we are committed
with product in hand and firm dates.

	A common question revolves around the future availability of
software from Berkeley's CSRG group.  CSRG supplies free software, lately
unencumbered of USL license.  I spoke with a CSRG representative who
explained the situation:

  While there is contributed 386/486 code, it is not by any means the
  reference port that some have claimed it to be.  CSRG will distribute
  that code which is sent to them by the time any future release is made.
  There is no commitment to make any future release.  The most recent
  release is the ``Networking-2'' release [upon which BSDI has based its
  implementation].  The 386/486 code does not currently support SCSI
  devices and will not support SCSI unless someone contributes said
  support.

In short, if someone writes the appropriate software, CSRG will distribute it
with any potential future release they may perform.  They are not formally
committed to make any future releases.  They are not committed to distribute
the code in binary form.

	BSDI provides complete support for its products.  We are extremely
sensitive to the support problems of the past.  BSDI supplies both phone
support and e-mail support.  Upgrades (1 or 2 each year) are provided
free-of-charge to those who purchase support contracts.

CURRENT STATUS

	An alpha version of BSD/386 running on a Gateway 2000 33Mhz 486
system was demonstrated at the Sun Users Group Exhibition at the San Jose
Convention Center (Dec. 9-11, 1991).  Many conference attendees had an
opportunity to explore it.  The system will soon be exhibited at the
upcoming UniForum conference in San Francisco (1/21-1/23/92).

	BSD/386 is running (in alpha test) at several sites.  The US$2,945
Gateway 2000 486/33 system that I have runs my personal RBK benchmarks at
17.5 RBKMIPS -- about the same number as a SparcStation 1+.  Some utilities
are not quite ready yet but I can get real work done.  I routinely achieve
uptimes of longer than one week (and this is the 0.2 alpha release).  I
config'd the kernel and compiled it from scratch in less than 8 minutes.
Booting takes only 4 seconds to get to the point of running fsck.  When
I login, it takes only a fraction a second from the time I finish typing my
password until the time I am sitting at a csh prompt.

	My roommate ported tcsh in less than an hour; he learned the ANSI
include file layout and built his working environment (X, .login, and so on)
on the system in the process.  He ported the `less' program in less than five
minutes.  Likewise CVS, the Concurrent Version System (a release control
system available from GNU), ported in approximately the amount of time it
took to compile it.

SCHEDULES

	It is unprofessional to ship a product until its quality will meet
users' expectations.  BSDI currently has scheduled the production release
date for BSD/386 for late June, 1992.  Alpha and beta shipments, however, are
progressing on a schedule that includes a beta release around February 1 for
SCSI support, enhancements, and bug fixes (and subsequent releases later in
the months before Production Shipment).  If you are interested in being a
paying Beta customer, please contact me, Rob Kolstad, at kols...@bsdi.com.

HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS

	The requirements below display the minimum and recommended
hardware for our 0.2 release.  Things may change a bit as time goes on:

       Minimum      At least 4 MB RAM and 40 MB Hard Disk.
                    3.5" Floppy
                    Cartridge Tape (QIC-150) [or network access to one]
                    Any BSDI Supported Display Adapter
       Recommended  8 MB RAM and 100 MB Hard Disk
                    Numeric Coprocessor (80387) or integrated 80486
		    [Next releases include software emulation for F.P.]
                    VGA or SVGA monitor
		    [Ethernet, if you need it]
       For Source   At least 200MB Hard Disk (300 MB preferred)
		    [or NFS access to this much storage]

    Current Hardware supported [Alpha 0.2 Release]:
	[Note that this also grows as release proceeds]
	. ISA and EISA (no MCA)
	. Most 387 (and 287) co-procs
        . Any of 386SX, 386DX, 486SX, 486DX
        . 80287 or 80387, CYRIX EMC
	. ESDI, ST506, RLL or IDE
	. QIC02 interfaces to QIC150 drives
	. 3.5" and 5.25" floppies
	. COM and [LPT in next release] ports
	. Many color and mono displays (VGA, SVGA, EGA, CGA, MDA, HGC)
	  [Of course there are a zillion displays; write for details
	   if this is an issue]
	. Ethernet ([Novell NE2000 in next release], WD8003 & WD8013)
	. SCSI support [starting in release 0.3]
	. Ever more device drivers [in each release]

GUARANTEE

	BSD/386 includes 60 days of support (which begins when a production
version is shipped to the customer).  If a customer is dissatisfied with the
product, BSDI unconditionally refunds the purchase price.

PRICING

	One of BSDI's goals is the provision of high quality software at an
affordable price.  Where USL might charge over US$100,000 for a source license,
BSDI charges US$995.  There are no hidden charges or options.  The product
includes an entire operating system with utilities -- in both source and
object form.  Note that the BSDI product -- with source -- costs about
twice as much as Borland's C++ compiler.  The introductory period may end
this summer -- prices may change then.

	The introductory price list also includes distributions on floppies
and support charges (US$500-US$1,500/year).  Please write me for details.

LICENSING

	BSDI is in the business of creating and supporting valuable software.
Purchasing BSD/386 involves purchasing the license to run BSD/386 on a CPU.
If you wish to run BSD/386 on more than one CPU, you must purchase more than
one license.  While BSD/386 is not freely redistributable as a whole, many
sections of it are redistributable.  Copyright notices will mark those
sections which BSDI has modified extensively or created from scratch.  Other
sections are freely redistributable under the terms of our acquisition of those
sections.

	While BSDI currently offers only source licenses, please contact me
if you wish to purchase a binary license (or set of licenses) in the late
summer 1992 timeframe (or if you wish to distribute the sources or objects).

	Some have asked about the Regents of California and their
relationship to BSDI's code.  Just like other companies that use Berkeley
code, we continue to display the Regents' copyright in our code.

	BSD/386 has both domestic and international distribution (see our
distributors' names below).   Our international distribution conforms to all
USA export restrictions.  International pricing usually directly follows the
US price converted to local currency.

BSDI CONTACTS:

	Here are the places to contact for general information or to place
orders:

	USA	Berkeley Software Design, Inc.
		3110 Fairview Park Drive, Suite 580
		Falls Church, VA 22042 USA
		Phone: +1 800 ITS UNIX
		Fax: +1 703 876 5059
		email: bsdi-i...@bsdi.com

	UK	Berkeley Software Design, Int. (Europe)
	Europe	Katallin, Town Lane
		Chartham Hatch, Kent CT4 7NN
		United Kingdom
		Phone: +44 227 781 675
       		Fax: +44 227 762 554
		Email: b...@hillside.co.uk

	Aus	Berkeley Software Design, Int. (Australia)
	& NZ	1st Floor, 2 King Street
		Newtown NSW 2042
		Australia
		Phone: +61 2 550 5014
       		Fax: +61 2 519 2551
		Email: enqu...@bsdi.oz.au

	I am currently acting as company spokesperson.  Feel free to contact
me (Rob Kolstad) via e-mail at kols...@bsdi.com.

         /\      Rob Kolstad           Berkeley Software Design, Inc.
      /\/  \     kols...@bsdi.com      7759 Delmonico Drive
     /  \   \    719-593-9445          Colorado Springs, CO  80919