From: do...@cristal.intel.com (Doug Carter)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.sysv386
Subject: BSD/386
Date: 30 Oct 91 22:00:26 GMT
Sender: n...@intelhf.hf.intel.com (News User)

Funny, first there was all talk and no action. Now there's some action
and no talk. I got this from a friend who got it off of CompuServe last
week.

You'll be able to license BSD386 from
        Berkeley Software Design
        3110 Fairview Dr. Suite 580
        Falls Church, Va. 22042
        1-800-ITS-UNIX (1-800-487-8649)

It's $995, available in January. Note that the system comes with full source
to *everything* in the Berkeley, X11, NFS, networking and so on. Plan to have
a *big* disk drive.

I called them, they *are* real, I got some info in the mail within 2 days.

Doug Carter.

| Doug Carter          do...@cristal.intel.com           (503) 696-4235  |
| Working at, but not for, Intel Development Tools, Hillsboro, Oregon.   |

> It's $995, available in January. Note that the system comes with full source
> to *everything* in the Berkeley, X11, NFS, networking and so on. Plan to have
> a *big* disk drive.

> I called them, they *are* real, I got some info in the mail within 2 days.

You need to read between the lines.

Berkeley isn't releasing the first version of BSD UNIX v4.4 until at least
the middle of 1992 (and its questionable whether this first release of BSD4.4
will be completely free of all AT&T code).  I know this because I spoke to
one of the individuals that are working on 4.4BSD.

What Berkeley Software Design is releasing in January (I called and talked
to them) is the networking release of 4.3BSD.

The 4.3 BSD kernel, and several other programs still contain AT&T code in
this release.

I believe that the statement "comes with full source to *everything*..." is
a misnomer.  Berkeley Software Design can't give out AT&T source code.
They can only distribute sources that are free of ALL AT&T code, unless they
want a really ugly legal battle on their hands.  Because of this, I seriously
doubt you will get kernel source (maybe pieces of it, but not everything).

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not trying to throw dirt in the face of the people
at Berkeley Software Design.  They are planning on supplying a lot of source
and a lot of executables as well as the networking version of the BSD4.3 kernel.
This is probably well worth the price (if it all really works), but I'd be
amazed if they actually supplied ALL the source. You can't sublicense an
AT&T Unix Source License.  Everyone has to get their own at a cost of something
outrageous, like $50k the last time I checked.  So long as there is even one
line of AT&T code in a file, you need the AT&T source license to legally own
a copy of this file, and you can't give it to anyone else.

I hope that there will eventually be a freely distributable version of UNIX.
Whether this is some BSD version, or the stuff the FSF is working on (laying
a UNIX-compatible file system module on top of the MACH kernel) doesn't really
matter, so long as it looks, smells and tastes like UNIX, and you can legally
get the source code without any costly licensing fees.

--
Gene Yurek				Internet: e...@hrojr.att.com
AT&T Bell Laboratories			    UUCP: ...!att!hrojr!ejy