From: j...@sauna.hut.fi (Jyrki Kuoppala)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.nsc.32k
Subject: Programs running on Minix
Date: 12 Aug 90 20:51:50 GMT
Sender: n...@daver.bungi.com

We here at Helsinki University of Technology have Minix on a pc532
working fine.  Currently it's j...@niksula.hut.fi's board attached to a
Sony workstation zelda.hut.fi and uses a HUT's disk.  We have a ten or
so boards working altogether in Finland (might be more now).

Minix seems to work quite well.  The following programs in addition to
Bruce's distribution are running:

- Gcc 1.37.92 (well actually snarfed from MIT a few days before 1.37.92
  pre-release)
- GNU fileutils (ls, rm, mv, cp etc.)
- bash 1.05 (command line editing works fine, haven't tested it that
  much otherwise)
- 4.3 Bsd uudecode (the minix version had some trouble with Sony's
  uuencode)
- GNU diff
- GNU make (I think GNU make puts all make variables into the environment,
  so we're having trouble with minix's arg list limitations; often we
  get 'exec: Arg list too long')

Plans are to get GNU emacs working (it compiles now but has trouble
with keyboard input; SIGIO anyone ?), also ka9q is on the work list,
and gas / GNU binutils.  Other GNU stuff should not be that hard.  I'm
planning to get together a libary to replace the Minix library (any
news about jkh's collection ?).  Kernel stuff which we're planning on
doing / installing is symlinks, fifos, ptys, tty size structure /
SIGWINCH, longer file names.

Oh yes, I shuld warn you: when using the gcc 1.35 which comes with
the Bruce's port, GNU make and fileutils didn't work.  I suspected the
libraries or the old version of gcc; then I got gcc 1.37.92 working
and tried again and both make and fileutils worked just fine.  So
before spending that much time on debugging, you should get a new
version of gcc.

When I have the diffs cleaned up a little, I'll put them for anon. ftp
in nic.funet.fi [128.214.6.100] pub/misc/pc532.

//Jyrki