From comp.os.research Thu Apr  5 12:17:33 1990
From: ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum)
Newsgroups: comp.os.research
Subject: Amoeba papers availability
Date: 4 Apr 90 22:07:13 GMT
Sender: usenet@darkstar.ucsc.edu

A little over a week ago I announced the availability of a book of papers
on Amoeba.  Since operating systems are a fairly arcane subject, I had
guessed that maybe 100 people might be interested at most.  To be safe, I
had 200 books printed.  To make a long story short, I have 1200 requests
so far and they are still pouring in.  I have already sent out my 200 books,
but the expense of printing and mailing an additional 1000 or more books is
more than I bargained for.

Nevertheless, I took the remaining 1000 requests and sorted them by
'seriousness' in some sense: well-known university or corporate researchers
are considered serious, lowly undergraduates are considered not.  Others are
in between.  Using this somewhat random metric, I selected out 500 people
and have ordered another 500 books printed which will be sent to them when
they are ready.  To save money, we are going to send these by surface mail.
This can take 2 months.  I have sent mail to everyone who responded to my
posting saying which category they are in:

    1. Book already sent
    2. Book will be sent when the next printing comes in
    3. Book will not be sent

For people in category 3 or people in a hurry, or people who did not
respond but are nevertheless interested in Amoeba, I have arranged FTP access.

Darrell Long of UC Santa Cruz has kindly consented to allow me
to store the papers on his machine for access by anonymous FTP.
You can get them by FTPing from:

	midgard.ucsc.edu

The files are in the directory:

	~ftp/pub/amoeba

The list of files is:

-rw-------  1 ast          4959 Apr  3 13:05 0
-rw-r--r--  1 ast         16722 Mar 27 13:15 1
-rw-r--r--  1 ast         32460 Apr  2 15:26 10
-rw-r--r--  1 ast         39504 Apr  2 13:19 11
-rw-------  1 ast         57596 Mar 29 23:57 12
-rw-------  1 ast         95979 Mar 30 23:23 13
-rw-------  1 ast         84179 Mar 30 16:43 14
-rw-------  1 ast         45462 Mar 30 16:47 15
-rw-------  1 ast         96116 Mar 30 16:43 16
-rw-------  1 ast        107092 Apr  2 16:53 17
-rw-r--r--  1 ast         47466 Mar 29 23:59 18
-rw-r--r--  1 ast         15698 Mar 30 00:02 19
-rw-------  1 ast         63886 Mar 29 16:27 2
-rw-r--r--  1 ast         51049 Mar 29 15:49 20
-rw-------  1 ast         47912 Apr  2 11:49 21
-rw-r--r--  1 ast         43134 Mar 29 12:53 22
-rw-r--r--  1 ast         86696 Mar 31 20:24 3
-rw-------  1 ast         29670 Mar 29 15:43 4
-rw-r--r--  1 ast         33904 Apr  3 12:45 5
-rw-r--r--  1 ast         28868 Apr  2 15:19 6
-rw-------  1 ast         26928 Mar 29 15:43 7
-rw-r--r--  1 ast         47970 Apr  2 15:22 8
-rw-r--r--  1 ast         36531 Apr  2 12:44 9
-rwxr-xr-x  1 ast          1205 Apr  4 12:09 run

To run them off, it is safest to use:

	pic file | tbl | eqn | troff -ms | printer

%
% I have found that some troffs (mine in particular) choke on these files, so
% I have put compressed PostScript versions of each file in the directory as
% well.
%
% To FTP the compressed PostScript, be sure to use binary mode.  And please
% do the FTP during off-hours.
%
% DL
%

Not every file uses every preprocessor, but the above command line should
always work.  You can also use the 'run' shell script, although the page
numbering may vary slightly depending on your printer, and the blank pages
between the sections are not included (make your own!).

Alternatively, you can probably find most of the papers in a computer
science library.  Below is file 0 (the list of papers).

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

\" To run off, use:  troff -ms file | printer
.nr PS 12
.nr VS 14
.nr LL 5.5i
.LP
.tr ~
.de Hd
. .bp 0
.ti -0.5i
.B
. .ce 1
\\$1
.R
.br
..
.ce 1
.ta 6.5iR
\fB TABLE OF CONTENTS\fR
.sp 2
.in +0.5i
.Hd "INTRODUCTION"

.IP \fB\0\02\fR
Tanenbaum, A.S. and Mullender, S.J.:
"An Introduction to Amoeba"

.Hd "OVERVIEW OF AMOEBA"

.IP \fB\010\fR
Mullender, S.J., Rossum, G. van, Tanenbaum, A.S. Renesse, R. van, Staveren,
H. van:
"Amoeba\(emA Distributed Operating System for the 1990s,"
(To be published in \fIIEEE Computer Magazine\fR, May 1990).

.IP \fB\027\fR
Tanenbaum, A.S., Renesse, R. van, Staveren, H. van., Sharp, G.J., Mullender,
S.J., Jansen, A.J., and Rossum, G. van:
"Experiences with the Amoeba Distributed Operating System,"
Report IR-194, Dept of Mathematics and Computer Science, Vrije Universiteit,
July 1989 (accepted for publication).

.IP \fB\053\fR
Mullender, S.J.:
"Distributed Operating Systems: State-of-the-Art and Future Directions"
Proc. of the EUTECO 88 Conf., R. Speth (ed.), North-Holland, Vienna,
Austria, pp. 57\-66, 1988

.Hd "DESIGN ASPECTS"

.IP \fB\062\fR
Tanenbaum, A.S., Mullender, S.J., and van Renesse, R.:
"Using Sparse Capabilities in a Distributed Operating System"
.I "Proc. Sixth International Conf. on Distr. Computer Systems" ,
IEEE, pp. 558-563, 1986.

.IP \fB\072\fR
Renesse, R. van, Tanenbaum, A.S., and Wilschut, A:
"The Design of a High-Performance File Server"
.I "Proc. Ninth Int'l Conf. on Distr. Comp. Systems" ,
IEEE, pp. 22-27, 1989.

.IP \fB\082\fR
Rossum, G. van:
"AIL \- A Class-Oriented Stub Generator for Amoeba"
Proceedings of the Workshop on Experience with Distributed Systems,
Springer Verlag, 1989

.Hd "PERFORMANCE"

.IP \fB\092\fR
Renesse, R. van, Staveren, H. van, and Tanenbaum, A.S.:
"Performance of the Amoeba Distributed Operating System,"
.I "Software\(emPractice and Experience" ,
vol. 19, pp. 223-234, March 1989.

.Hd "AMOEBA OVER WIDE-AREA NETWORKS"

.IP \fB104\fR
Renesse, R. van, Tanenbaum, A.S., Staveren, H., and Hall, J.:
"Connecting RPC-Based Distributed Systems using Wide-Area Networks,"
.I "Proc. Seventh Int'l Conf. on Distr. Comp. Systems" ,
IEEE, pp. 28-34, 1987.

.IP \fB114\fR
Renesse, R. van, and Staveren:
"Wide-Area Communication under Amoeba,"
Report IR-117, Dept. of Mathematics and Computer Science,
Vrije Universiteit, Dec. 1986.

.Hd "MULTIPROCESSOR AMOEBA"

.IP \fB128\fR
Moergestel, L.J. van, Bal, H.E., Kaashoek, M.F., Renesse, R. van, Sharp, G.J.,
Staveren, H. van, Tanenbaum, A.S.:
"Amoeba on a Multiprocessor,"
Report IR-206, Dept of Mathematics and Computer Science, Vrije Universiteit,
Dec. 1989 (accepted for publication in \fIForce File\fR).

.Hd "BROADCASTING"

.IP \fB140\fR
Kaashoek, M.F., Tanenbaum, A.S., Flynn Hummel, S., and Bal, H.E.:
"An Efficient Reliable Broadcast Protocol,"
.I "Operating Systems Review" ,
vol. 23, pp. 5-19, Oct. 1989.

.Hd "DISTRIBUTED PROGRAMMING"

.IP \fB154\fR
Bal, H.E., and Tanenbaum, A.S.:
"Distributed Programming with Shared Data"
.I "IEEE Conf. on Computer Languages" ,
IEEE, pp. 82-91, 1988.

.IP \fB176\fR
Bal, H.E., Kaashoek, M.F., Tanenbaum, A.S., Jansen, J.:
"Replication Techniques for Speeding up Parallel Applications on Distributed
Systems,"
Report IR-202, Dept of Mathematics and Computer Science, Vrije Universiteit,
Oct. 1989
(submitted for publication).

.IP \fB192\fR
Bal, H.E., Tanenbaum, A.S., Kaashoek, M.F.:
"Orca: A Language for Distributed Programming,"
Report IR-140, Dept of Mathematics and Computer Science, Vrije Universiteit,
Dec. 1987
(submitted for publication).

.IP \fB200\fR
Bal, H.E., Kaashoek, M.F., and Tanenbaum A.S.:
"A Distributed Implementation of the Shared Data-object Model,"
.I "Proc. First USENIX/SERC  Workshop on Experiences with Building Distributed
and Multiprocessor Systems" ,
IEEE, pp. 1-19,  Oct.

.IP \fB218\fR
Bal, H.E., Kaashoek, M.F., and Tanenbaum, A.S.:
"Experience with Distributed Programming in Orca,"
.I "Proc. Int'l Conf. on Comp. Languages '90" ,
IEEE, 1990.

.Hd APPLICATIONS

.IP \fB242\fR
Baalbergen, E.H., Verstoep, K., and Tanenbaum, A.S.:
"On the Design of the Amoeba Configuration Manager,"
.I "ACM SIGSOFT Software Engineering Notes" ,
vol. 17, Nov. 1989
(\fIProc. 2nd Int'l Workshop on Software Configuration Management\fR)
ACM, 1989.

.IP \fB253\fR
Baalbergen, E.H.:
"Parallel and Distributed Compilations in Loosely-Coupled Systems: A Case Study,"
.I "Proc. Workshop on Large Grain Parallelism" ,
1986.

.IP \fB258\fR
Baalbergen, E.H.:
"Design and Implementation of Parallel Make,"
.I " Computing Systems"
vol. 1, pp. 135-158, Spring 1988.

.IP \fB273\fR
Bal, H.E., Renesse, R. van, and Tanenbaum, A.S.:
"Implementing Distributed Algorithms using Remote Procedure Call,"
.I "Proc. National Computer Conference" ,
AFIPS, pp. 499-505, 1987.\fR

.Hd THEORY
.IP \fB284\fR
Renesse, R. van, and Tanenbaum, A.S.:
"Voting with Ghosts,"
.I "Proc. Eighth International Conf. on Distr. Computer Systems" ,
IEEE, pp. 456-461, 1988.