From: j...@zippy.osd.bsdi.com ("Jordan K. Hubbard")
Subject: SMPng effort with BSD/OS - the overall story
Date: 2000/06/26
Newsgroups: mailing.freebsd.smp

First, as the guy who set up the recent "SMP seminar", let me just
apologise right now for dropping the ball on one very significant
item: I didn't have someone appointed "scribe" from the list of
full-time employee types who went there and this resulted in an
unfortunate delay in briefing those people who weren't in attendance.
Greg Lehey did do some video taping of the event, but that was just
something he did on his own and it will take him some time to figure
out how to get it into a format which everyone else can use.  Again,
in retrospect, we should have arranged this more formally and I'll
take full responsibility for blowing it there.  Sorry.  Jason Evans has
just posted a fuller synopsis of the event to the freebsd-smp mailing
list and will be issuing periodic updates as things progress.

Speaking of Jason, I should also point out that the "SMP working
group" who convened for this meeting did have the wisdom to appoint an
overall manager for this effort (sorry for clapping the pointy-hair
helmet on you, Jason) since it's a BIG JOB we're talking about here.
Having a full-time person of Jason's caliber driving and organizing
things for this effort is exactly what we need if we actually want to
finish it and NOT do things like break -current for extended periods
of time, something there has been a lot of fear expressed over in the
last couple of days.  Please rest assured that nobody has been issued
a flame thrower and told to direct it at -current.  The situation is
quite the contrary and by appointing Jason "ringmaster" of the SMP
effort, we hope to avoid a lot of that kind of pain.  What he says
goes with regard to this integration effort and NO SMP RELATED CODE
ENTERS -CURRENT WITHOUT HIS APPROVAL!

This will not be an ad-hack effort, it will be an organized project
with some very big goals on its plate and Jason Evans has core's full
support as its ring master.  As far as we're concerned, it's up to
Jason to make sure things proceed smoothly with the SMP merger process
and up to him to take any corrective actions which may be necessary
along the way.  It's also up to him to make sure timely bulletins are
issued to the rest of committers so that everyone is kept well
up-to-date on its progress and given full opportunity to contribute to
the effort.  The group which met at Yahoo last week were not "the
chosen few" who will dictate all aspects of how things go, they were
simply the people who put their hands up when I called for volunteers
to attend the event in the freebsd-smp list and SOME of the people who
will be driving the effort.  The only person to come out of that
meeting with a funny hat was Jason, and he kind of had that forced
on him anyway. :-)

- Jordan
  [Speaking for core]

On Sunday, 25 June 2000 at  9:20:14 -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> First, as the guy who set up the recent "SMP seminar", let me just
> apologise right now for dropping the ball on one very significant
> item: I didn't have someone appointed "scribe" from the list of
> full-time employee types who went there and this resulted in an
> unfortunate delay in briefing those people who weren't in attendance.
> Greg Lehey did do some video taping of the event, but that was just
> something he did on his own and it will take him some time to figure
> out how to get it into a format which everyone else can use.

Note also that, as Jordan says, I "just did this".  The results are
*very* unprofessional, since I didn't have time to play cameraman.
Still, there may be something of value in there.

Greg
--
Finger g...@lemis.com for PGP public key