From: "Dagar" < d...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: The Wine (Windows Emulator) FAQ
Date: 1998/11/14
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.i386unix

                     The Wine (Windows Emulator) FAQ

                               Contents

What's New

General Information

Section 1: An Overview of the Wine Project
      1.1: What is Wine, and what is it supposed to do?
      1.2: Why call it Wine?
      1.3: What is the current version of Wine?
      1.4: When will Wine be ready for general distribution?

Section 2: What Programs Can Wine Run?
      2.1: Which MS Windows programs does Wine currently run?
      2.2: Which MS Windows programs do you expect Wine never to be
           able to run at all, and for what reason(s)?
      2.3: Will MS Windows programs typically run faster or slower under
           UNIX and Wine than they do under DOS and MS Windows? Will
           certain kinds of programs run slower or faster?
      2.4: Are there any advantages or disadvantages to running MS Windows
           applications under Wine that I should be aware of?
      2.5: Will Wine support MS Windows networked applications that use
           winsock.dll?
      2.6: I'm a software developer who wants to use UNIX to develop
           programs rather than DOS, but I need to write DOS and MS
           Windows programs as well. Will I be able to run my favorite
           DOS and/or MS Windows compilers under Wine?

Section 3: What You Need to Use Wine

      3.1: Under what hardware platform(s) and operating system(s) will
           Wine run?
      3.2: What minimum CPU must I have in my computer to be able to run
           Wine and MS Windows applications smoothly?
      3.3: How much disk space will the Wine source code and binaries
           take on my hard drive? What other software do I need to have
           installed to compile and run Wine?
      3.4: How much RAM do I need to have on my UNIX system to be able to
           run Wine and MS Windows applications smoothly?
      3.5: I have a Drivespaced, Doublespaced or Stackered DOS partition.
           Can Wine run MS Windows binaries located in such a partition?
      3.6: Do I need to have a DOS partition on my system to use Wine?
           Does MS Windows need to be loaded into that partition in order
           to run MS Windows programs under Wine?
      3.7: If Wine completely replaces MS Windows, will it duplicate all
           of the functions of MS Windows?
      3.8: Will I be able to install MS Windows applications in any flavor
           of a UNIX filesystem?
      3.9: Will Wine run only under X, or can it run in character mode?
     3.10: Will Wine run under any X window manager?
     3.11: Will 32-bit Windows 95 or Win NT applications run under Wine?

Section 4: How to Find, Install, Configure and Run Wine

      4.1: Where can I get Wine?
      4.2: If I do not have an Internet account, how can I get Wine?
      4.3: How do I install Wine on my hard drive?
      4.4: How do I compile the Wine distribution source code?
      4.5: How do I configure Wine to run on my system?
      4.6: How do I run an MS Windows program under Wine?
      4.7: I have installed and configured Wine, but Wine cannot find MS
           Windows on my drive. Where did I go wrong?
      4.8: I think I've found a bug. How do I report this bug to the Wine
           programming team?
      4.9: I was able to get various MS Windows programs to run, but
           parts of them do not work. What is wrong?
     4.10: I have run various MS Windows programs but since the program
           menus do not work, how can I exit these programs?
     4.11: How do I remove Wine from my computer?

Section 5: How to get help with Wine

      5.1: Is there a Usenet newsgroup for Wine?
      5.2: Is there a World Wide Web site for Wine?

Section 6: How You Can Help with the Wine Project

      6.1: How can I help contribute to the Wine project, and in what
           way(s)?
      6.2: I want to help beta test Wine. How can I do this?
      6.3: I have written some code that I would like to submit to the
           Wine project. How do I go about doing this?

Section 7: Who's responsible for Wine?

      7.1: Who is responsible for writing and maintaining the Wine source
           code?
      7.2: Who is responsible for writing and maintaining the Wine FAQ?
      7.3: Who are the folks and organizations who have contributed money
           and/or equipment to the Wine project?

Copyright Information

                             What's New

The following things have changed since the last issue of the Wine FAQ:

    General Information

[...]

This is the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) for the Wine development
project. It contains both general and technical information about Wine:
project status, what it is and what it does, how to obtain and configure
and run it, and more. Please read this FAQ carefully before you post
questions about Wine to Usenet to see if your question is already answered
here first.

Note that this FAQ will no longer contain any references to the latest
Wine release available at the time of the release of this version of the
Wine FAQ. This is done now because of the longevity of this FAQ, which
confuses some folks when trying to match a version of the FAQ with a
version of the Wine release that they have obtained.

The Standard Disclaimer: Please also note that since Wine is still alpha
code, it may or may not work to varying degrees on your system. Also note
that from release to release, programs may work and then not work, then
work again. Neither the Wine developers nor the Wine FAQ author/maintainer
can be held responsible for any damage that may be caused to your computer
hardware, software or data by your obtaining, installing, configuring,
operating and/or removing Wine. If you use Wine, you use it completely at
your own risk.

The Wine FAQ is posted monthly to these newsgroups:

    comp.emulators.announce
    comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine
    comp.unix.bsd.386bsd.announce
    comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.announce
    comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.announce
    comp.os.linux.answers
    comp.windows.x.i386unix
    comp.answers
    news.answers

The Wine FAQ is reposted mid-month to:

    comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine

The plain text version of the Wine FAQ is available by anonymous ftp from
the following systems:

    ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/ALPHA/Wine/Wine.FAQ
    ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-group/
        comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine/
        WINE_(WINdows_Emulator)_Frequently_Asked_Questions
    ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/ALPHA/wine/Wine.FAQ

and on the World Wide Web at:

    http://pw1.netcom/com/~dagar/winefaq.txt

and quite likely most of the other sites around the globe that mirror the
Wine distribution from the its main distribution site:

    tsx-11.mit.edu

The Wine FAQ is available on the World Wide Web (WWW), reachable with any
web browser that can understand frames, at:

    http://pw1.netcom.com/~dagar/winefaq.html

An unframed version is available at:

    http://pw1.netcom.com/~dagar/winecontent.html

If you have any technical questions about Wine, please post these to the
newsgroup:

    comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine

If you have any suggestions for corrections, changes, expansion or further
clarification of this FAQ, please send them to the Wine FAQ author and
maintainer listed in question 7.2.

                              SECTION 1
                   An Overview of the Wine Project

1.1: What is Wine, and what is it supposed to do?

Wine is both a program loader and an emulation library that will allow
UNIX users to run 16- and 32-bit MS Windows applications on an x86
hardware platform running under some UNIXes. The program loader will load
and execute an MS Windows application binary, while the emulation library
will take calls to MS Windows functions and translate these into calls to
UNIX/X, so that equivalent functionality is achieved.

MS Windows binaries will run directly; there will be no need for machine
level emulation of program instructions. Sun has reported better
performance with their version of WABI than is actually achieved under MS
Windows, so theoretically the same results are possible under Wine.

1.2: Why call it 'Wine'?

The word Wine stands for one of two things: WINdows Emulator, or Wine Is
Not an Emulator. Both are right. Use whichever one you like best.

1.3: What is the current version of Wine?

A new version of Wine is distributed about twice a month. You will be able
to keep up on all the latest releases by reading the newsgroup:

    comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine

where new release announcements are made. When downloading Wine from your
ftp site of choice (see question 4.1 for some of these choices), you can
make sure that you are getting the latest version by watching the version
numbers in the distribution filename.

For instance, the distribution released on June 20, 1994 was called
Wine-940620.tar.gz.

Patch files are also available. If you are current to the previous
version, you can download and apply just the current patch file rather
than the entire new distribution. The patch filenames follow the same
conventions as the monthly distribution.

1.4: When will Wine be ready for general release?

Because Wine is being developed by volunteers, it is difficult to predict
when it will be ready for general release. Between 90-98% of the functions
used by MS Windows applets, and 80-90% of the functions used by major
programs, have been at least partially implemented at this time. However,
the remaining 10% will likely take another 90% of the time, not including
debugging.

                              SECTION 2
                     What Programs Can Wine Run?

2.1: Which MS Windows programs does Wine currently run?

The newsgroup:

    comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine

contains posts that tell of successes, partial successes and failures to
run certain MS Windows programs under Wine. As such successes, partial
successes and failures change rapidly with every release, please read that
newsgroup for details rather than check here in the FAQ.

There are a number of web sites that maintain lists of successes and
failures in attempts to run MS Windows programs under Wine, and these
include:

    http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~wildfire/
    http://www.winehq.com/apps.cgi

Please keep in mind that although work on Wine has come pretty far, it is
still considered a developers'-only release. Programs may 'break' and then
run again from release to release.

Yet many people have reported that some of the larger shareware and
commercial programs are now beginning to run under Wine to varying degrees
of success. Windows colors can vary from system to system, depending on
your video card and monitor, but it's been reported that colors are
generally darker under X and Wine than under native DOS and MS Windows.

Some folks have reported that it is now possible, using dosemu, to run MS
Windows 3.1 in standard mode, and then run major MS Windows software from
within that MS Windows session. Others report that standard mode doesn't
work at all, but that enhanced mode does. Results are thus far
inconsistent and so the results that you may obtain from trying dosemu to
run MS Windows 3.1 in any mode will likely be equally inconsistent.

Keep an eye on the newsgroup:

    comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine

for up-to-date reports of successes.

2.2: Which MS Windows programs do you expect Wine to never be able to run
     at all, and for what reason(s)?

Back when work on Wine was just getting started, it was said that any MS
Windows program that required a special enhanced mode device driver (VxD)
that couldn't be rewritten specifically for Wine, would not run under
Wine. While this is quite likely still a true statement for the most part,
there is preliminary VxD support being added to Wine at this time.

2.3: Will MS Windows programs typically run faster or slower under UNIX
     and Wine than they do under DOS and MS Windows? Will certain kinds of
     programs run slower or faster?

When work on Wine is completed, programs should typically run at about the
same speed under Wine as they do under DOS and MS Windows. Currently,
there are debugging features built into each release, and this slows down
the execution of programs. However, these debugging features will be
removed for any post-development releases.

2.4: Are there any advantages or disadvantages to running MS Windows
     applications under Wine that I should be aware of?

As with OS/2, you will be running MS Windows applications under a UNIX
operating system using emulation techniques, so you will have similar
advantages and disadvantages.

For instance, there will be crash protection. That is, each MS Windows
application running under Wine will be running in its own X window and its
own portion of reserved memory. If one MS Windows application crashes, it
will not crash the other MS Windows or UNIX applications that you may have
running at the same time.

Also, MS Windows programs should run at about the same speed under Wine as
they do under MS Windows.

When Wine is finished, you will be able to run your favorite MS Windows
applications in a UNIX environment. However, be aware that any application
written for MS Windows will run much less efficiently than its native UNIX
cousin.

For Linux, there is a database of such applications at:

    http://www.xnet.com/~blatura/linapps.shtml

2.5: Will Wine support MS Windows networked applications that use
     winsock.dll?

Yes, Wine does support such applications, more so the 16-bit than the
32-bit version of winsock. Working applications include Agent (a Usenet
newsreader), mIRC, ws-FTP and Internet Explorer.

2.6: I'm a software developer who wants to use UNIX to develop programs
     rather than DOS, but I need to write DOS and MS Windows programs as
     well. Will I be able to run my favorite DOS and/or MS Windows
     compilers under Wine?

dosemu, the DOS emulator for Linux, supports DPMI (DOS Protected Mode
Interface), which allows folks to run MS Windows in standard mode. Some
have reported success in running (to varying degrees of success) various
C++ compilers, and the Borland Dephi and Turbo Pascal for Windows
compilers. Others have reported success in running the Borland C++ 5.0
command line compiler (bcc) as well as some of the debugging tools in the
MS SDK, but these compilers' IDEs generally do not run.

Keep in mind that Wine is being designed to run existing MS Windows
applications. A custom MS Windows program specifically written to be
compatible with Wine may not work the same as when it is run under DOS and
MS Windows.

                             SECTION 3
                     What You Need to Run Wine

3.1: Under what hardware platform(s) and operating system(s) will Wine
     run?

Wine is being developed specifically to run on the Intel x86 class of CPUs
under certain UNIXes that run on the x86 platform.  UNIXes currently being
tested for Wine compatibility include Linux, NetBSD, FreeBSD and Unixware,
and there is now support for SCO OpenServer 5. The Wine development team
hopes to attract the interest of other commercial UNIX and UNIX clone
vendors as well.

There are side efforts underway to port Wine to the Alpha and OS/2
platforms. You can find out more information about the OS/2 port at:

    http://www.winehq.com/wine/documentation/wine_os2

3.2: What minimum CPU must I have in my computer to be able to run Wine
     and MS Windows applications smoothly?

Wine won't run on any x86 CPU less than an 80386. It is known to also work
in the 80486 and Pentium CPUs. Beyond that, the basic test is, if you can
run X11 now, you should be able to run Wine and MS Windows applications
under it.

As always, the faster your CPU, the better. Having a math coprocessor is
unimportant. However, having a graphics accelerated video card supported
by X will help greatly.

3.3: How much disk space will the Wine source code and binaries take on my
     hard drive? What other software do I need to have installed to
     compile and run Wine?

You need approximately 125 megabytes of free hard drive space to store and
compile the source code. Wine also needs about 18 megs in your /tmp
directory.

As far as other software, you will need the following to compile Wine:

    - gcc
    - Xlibpm

To run Wine, you will need the following:

    - The compiled Wine binary
    - A properly configured wine.conf and wine.sym
    - An installed and working X Window system
    - Some MS Windows programs to test

3.4: How much RAM do I need to have on my UNIX system to be able to run
     Wine and MS Windows applications smoothly?

If you can run X smoothly on your UNIX system now, you should be able to
run Wine and MS Windows applications just fine too.

A typical Wine workstation should realistically have at least 16 megabytes
of RAM and a 16 megabyte swap partition. More is better, of course. You
can run Wine with 8/8, but it is not recommended.

If you wish to be part of the development team and program Wine itself, be
aware that the new debugger is rather memory intensive. Some have
suggested that 64 megabytes is the minimum RAM needed for Wine
development, although some are able to work (albeit slowly) with 24
megabytes of physical RAM and lots of swap space.

3.5: I have a Drivespaced, Doublespaced or Stackered DOS partition. Can
     Wine run MS Windows binaries located in such a partition?

Yes, but only if the operating system supports mounting those types of
drives. Currently, NetBSD and FreeBSD do not.

There is a Linux filesystem driver that will allow read/write access
through Doublespaced and Drivespace 1.0 drives. More specifically, it
supports mounting DOS 6.0 and 6.2 Doublespaced, DOS 6.22 Drivespaced, and
Windows 95 Doublespaced compressed partitions (read and write access works
fine, but write access is slow). It can be found at:

    ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/filesystems/dosfs/

3.6: Do I need to have a DOS partition on my system to use Wine? Does MS
     Windows need to be loaded into that partition in order to run MS
     Windows programs under Wine?

Unlike WABI, you do not need a licensed and installed copy of DOS or MS
Windows to install, configure and run Wine. However, Wine has to be able
to 'see' an MS Windows binary if it is to run it.

Some folks have successfully installed and run some small programs in
their UNIX filesystem without having a DOS partition or MS Windows.
However, not all programs will work this way yet. Some applications'
installation programs want to distribute some of the package's files into
the /windows and /windows/system directories in order to run, and unless
these exist on your UNIX filesystem, those programs will not install
correctly and probably will not run well, if at all.

If you have a DOS partition with MS Windows installed in it, make sure
that your UNIX system can 'see' this partition (check your /etc/fstab file
or mount the partition manually) so that Wine can run the MS Windows
binaries located in the DOS partition.

When it is finished, Wine will not require that you have a DOS partition
on your system at all, meaning that you will not need to have MS Windows
installed either. Wine programmers will provide an application setup
program to allow you to install your MS Windows programs straight from
your distribution diskettes or CDs onto your UNIX filesystem, or from
within your UNIX filesystem if you ftp an MS Windows program over the
Internet.

To run without a DOS partition, you need to set a UNIX path to be your
drive C:, and make sure that the /windows and /windows/system directories
point to some place that actually exist. Here's an example, copied from a
machine which has no DOS partition but successfully runs Wine:

    [Drive C]
    Path=/var/lib/wine
    Type=hd
    Label=MS-DOS
    Filesystem=unix

    [wine]
    Windows=c:\windows
    System=c:\windows\system
    Temp=e:\ Path=c:\windows;c:\windows\system;c:\

In /var/lib/wine/windows, you will need to install a win.ini config file
that you might find on a typical MS Windows 3.1 machine. The directory
/var/lib/wine/windows/system should exist, but doesn't need to contain
anything. However, to use MS DLLs, you can copy them into that directory.

If you have DOS/MS Windows installed on your system, you can mount that
partition at bootup by modifying the file /etc/fstab in your UNIX
partition. If you edit this file by hand, it should contain something
similar to the following:

    /dev/hda1 /dosc msdos uid=0,gid=100,umask=007 0 0

This will allow you to read and write to the DOS partition without being
root.

3.7: If Wine completely replaces MS Windows, will it duplicate all of the
     functions of MS Windows?

Most of them, yes. However, some applications and applets that come with
MS Windows, such as File Manager and Calculator, can be considered by some
to be redundant, since 32-bit UNIX programs that duplicate these applets'
functions already exist.

3.8: Will I be able to install MS Windows applications in any flavor of a
     UNIX filesystem?

Wine is written to be filesystem independent, so MS Windows applications
will install and run under any filesystem supported by your brand of UNIX.

3.9: Will Wine run only under X, or can it run in character mode?

Being a GUI (graphical user interface), MS Windows does not have a
character mode, so there will be no character mode for Wine. So yes, you
must run Wine under X.

On the other hand, Win32 does have a character mode. Currently, Wine must
have a display even to run console-only Win32 apps.

3.10: Will Wine run under any X window manager?

Wine is window manager independent, so the X window manager you choose to
run has no bearing on your ability to run MS Windows programs under Wine.
Wine uses standard X libraries, so no additional ones are needed. Wine has
its own window management, which acts like MS Windows. It can be turned
off to use the native window manager with the -managed command-line
switch.

3.11: Will 32-bit Windows 95 or Win NT applications run under Wine?

Wine developers have already incorporated some Win32 code into Wine, and
improvements appear with every new release of Wine.

                              SECTION 4
            How to Find, Install, Configure and Run Wine

4.1: Where can I get Wine?

Because of lags created by using mirror, word of this newest release may
reach you before the release is actually available at the ftp sites listed
here. The sources are available from the following locations:

    ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/ALPHA/wine/development/
    ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/ALPHA/Wine/development/

ftp://ftp.infomagic.com/pub/mirrors/linux/sunsite/ALPHA/wine/development/
    ftp://ftp.progsoc.uts.edu.au/pub/Wine/development/

It should also be available from any site that mirrors tsx-11 or sunsite.

Some of these ftp sites may archive previous versions of Wine as well as
the current one. To determine which is the latest one, look at the
distribution filename, which will take the form Wine-[yymmdd].tar.gz.
Simply replace [yymmdd] in the distribution filename with the numbers for
year, month and date, respectively. The latest one is the one to get.

Wine is also available in RedHats and Debian packaged versions, but the
packaging delays the release in these formats for about a week after the
tar.gz file is released.

You can obtain these packages from the following systems:

    ftp://ftp.rwii.com/pub/linux/Redhat/contrib/
    http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/otherosfs/wine.html

Patch files are also available, so that you don't have to download,
install and configure the entire distribution each week if you are current
to the previous release. Patch file release names follow the same
numbering convention as do the general releases, and take the form:

    Wine-[yymmdd].diff.gz

Patch files are available from the same sites that distribute the full
release.

Note that any mirror of tsx-11 will likely carry the Wine distribution and
diff files, but may not be listed here in this FAQ.

If you are mirroring the Wine distribution from the tsx-11 site and wish
to be listed here in this FAQ, please send email to the FAQ
author/maintainer listed in question 7.2.

4.2: If I do not have an Internet account, how can I get Wine?

Some CD-ROM archives of Internet sites, notably those from Walnut Creek
that archive ftp.cdrom.com and sunsite.unc.edu, may include some versions
of Wine on their CD releases. However, the age of these distributions
should always be questioned, as the 'snapshot' of the ftp site may have
been taken anywhere from 1-4 months (or more) prior to the CD's pressing
date.

Your best bet to get the very latest distribution of Wine, if you do not
have your own Internet account, is to find a friend who does have an
Internet account, and have him/her ftp the necessary file(s) for you.

If you have an email account on a BBS that can reach the Internet through
a gateway, you may be able to use 'email ftp' to get the Wine release sent
to you; check with your BBS system operator for details.

If you are running a BBS that is not connected to the Internet but does
offer the Wine distribution for download, and would like to be listed in
this FAQ, please forward such information to the FAQ author/maintainer as
listed in question 7.2.

4.3: How do I install Wine on my hard drive?

Just un-gzip and un-tar the file, and follow the instructions contained in
the README file that will be located in the base Wine directory.

4.4: How do I compile the Wine distribution source code?
4.5: How do I configure Wine to run on my system?

All of the directions to perform these two steps are located in the README
file that will be located in the base Wine directory after you ungzip and
untar the distribution file. Additionally, you may want to set the TMPDIR
environment variable, as in:

   TMPDIR=~/tmp

      or

   TMPDIR=/tmp (if you are root)

4.6: How do I run an MS Windows program under Wine?

Assuming you are running X already, call up an xterm window.  Then, at the
shell prompt, type:

    wine [/path/progname]

Another X window will pop up on top of the shell window, and the binary
should begin to execute within that new window.

Let's assume that you want to run MS Windows' Solitaire.  Under DOS, you
had previously installed MS Windows on your C: drive under the
subdirectory /windows. Under UNIX, you have mounted the C: drive under
/dos/c. To run MS Windows Solitaire, you would type:

    wine /dos/c/windows/sol.exe

4.7: I have installed and configured Wine, but Wine cannot find MS Windows
     on my drive. Where did I go wrong?

If you have a DOS partition, first make sure that you have mounted it,
either by putting the entry into /etc/fstab, or by manually mounting it.
Remember too that unless your version of UNIX can see through it, or you
are running a utility that can see through it, your DOS partition must not
be located on a Drivespaced, Doublespaced or Stackered partition, as
neither Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD or Wine can natively 'see' files located in
these compressed DOS partitions.

Check your path statements in the wine.conf file. No capital letters may
be used in paths, as they are automatically converted to lowercase.

4.8: I think I've found a bug.  How do I report this bug to the Wine
     programming team?

Bug reports should be posted to the newsgroup:

    comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine

Be sure to include, in your report, the following information:

    - The Wine version tested
    - The MS Windows program name and, if possible, the version number of
      the software tested
    - A brief description of the bug
    - The relevant part(s) of the output of the Wine debugger

4.9: I was able to get various MS Windows programs to run, but parts of
     them do not work. What is wrong?

Wine is not complete at this time, so some of each programs' features may
not work. They will in time as more of the MS Windows API calls are
included in Wine.

4.10: I have run various MS Windows programs, but since the program menus
      do not work, how can I exit these programs?

Kill the xterm shell window that you called up to run your MS Windows
program, and the X window that appeared with the program will be killed
too.

4.11: How do I remove Wine from my computer?

All you have to do is to type:

    rm -fR [/path/]Wine*

Make sure that you specify the exact path when using the powerful 'rm -fR'
command. If you are afraid that you might delete something important, or
might otherwise delete other files within your filesystem, cd into each
Wine subdirectory singly and delete the files found there manually, one
file or directory at a time.  Neither the Wine developers and programmers,
nor the Wine FAQ author/maintainer, can be held responsible for your
deleting any files in your own filesystem.

                               SECTION 5
                       How to Get Help with Wine

5.1: Is there a Usenet newsgroup for Wine?

Yes, and it's called:

    comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine

The newsgroup serves as a place for developers to discuss Wine, and for
minor announcements for the general public. Major announcements will be
crossposted to other appropriate newsgroups, such as the following:

    comp.os.linux.announce
    comp.windows.x.announce
    comp.emulators.announce

If your Usenet site does not carry these newsgroups, please urge your
ISP's sysadmin and/or uplink to add them.

5.2: Is there a World Wide Web site for Wine?

Here are a few sites:

    http://www.qbc.clic.net/~krynos/wine_en.html
    http://www.winehq.com/

If you are installing or maintain a WWW page pertaining to Wine that you
feel would be useful for others to read, please inform the FAQ
author/maintainer detailed in question 7.2 for inclusion in the next
edition of the Wine FAQ.

                             SECTION 6
               How You Can Help with the Wine Project

6.1: How can I help contribute to the Wine project, and in what way(s)?

You can contribute programming skills, or monetary or equipment donations,
to aid the Wine developers in reaching their goals. To find out who, what,
where, when and why, please post your desire to contribute to the
newsgroup:

    comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine

6.2: I want to help beta test Wine. How can I do this?

Beta testers are currently not needed, as Wine is still Alpha code at this
time. However, anyone is welcome to download the latest version and try it
out at any time.

6.3: I have written some code that I would like to submit to the Wine
     project. How do I go about doing this?

Send your weekly code contributions to Alexandre Julliard at
julli...@lrc.epfl.ch.

You should verify that your code was included in the subsequent release of
Wine, as project managers cannot guarantee that the mail server will not
suffer some failure that will cause the loss of your message and code
after it is received.

                              SECTION 7
                    Who's Responsible for Wine?

7.1: Who is responsible for writing and maintaining the Wine source code?

Wine is available thanks to the work of many people. Please see the file
AUTHORS in the distribution for the complete list.

7.2: Who is responsible for writing and maintaining the Wine FAQ?

This FAQ was written and is being maintained by Dave Gardner at
d...@ix.netcom.com, who is not otherwise involved in Wine. Please do not
email technical questions about the Wine project to the FAQ maintainer,
but rather post them to the newsgroup:

    comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine

7.3: Who are the folks and organizations who have contributed money or
     equipment to the Wine project?

People and organizations who have given generous contributions of money
and/or equipment include:

    - David L. Harper
    - Bob Hepple
    - Mark A. Horton
    - Kevin P. Lawton
    - the Syntropy Institute
    - James Woulfe

                          Copyright Notice

The Wine FAQ is Copyright © 1995-1998 by P. David Gardner at
d...@ix.netcom.com and at http://pw1.netcom.com/~dagar/index.html.
Permission is hereby granted to freely link to, copy, archive and
republish this FAQ in its entirety without remuneration to the
author/maintainer, provided that all information contained herein is kept
intact and that no portion is altered in any way without prior written
permission of the author/maintainer. If you have any questions concerning
these permissions, please email or write the FAQ author/maintainer at one
of the addresses contained herein for clarification.