From: torva...@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds)
Subject: Re: pre egcs-1.1 testing and Linux 2.1.x
Date: 1998/08/22
Sender: muc.de!l-linux-kernel-owner
Newsgroups: muc.lists.linux-kernel

I wanted to just clarify the issue of egcs and Linux-2.1.x.

I know that gcc has had problems with "regparm". However, I'm rather
disgusted with some egcs people who say "we have problems and they will
never get fixed". I don't personally believe in that kind of development
behaviour, and if it's true it is really sad.

I will continue to use "regparm" for the specific functions where I think
there's a noticeable win (either in performance or simplicity - when
mixing assembly and C the regparm calling convention can be much nicer to
use). And I hope that not all egcs people consider it impossible to fix
bugs, and that some of them will be instead more motivated to fix the
problems than to ignore them.

There certainly seems to be egcs versions that can't handle it at all, and
those versions won' tbe able to compile the kernel. It seems most egcs
versions are fine, and I'd continue to encourage people to try them out
because they obviously do generate better code for many people. I would
also encourage people that feel interested to help the egcs people to
create a better compiler and look into why egcs seems to have so many
problems with register allocation.

			Linus

-
the body of a message to majord...@vger.rutgers.edu