From: d...@asgardpro.com (Dave)
Subject: WINE (WINdows Emulator) Frequently Asked Questions
Date: 1997/04/16
Sender: d...@asgardpro.com (Dave Gardner)
Newsgroups: comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine

Archive-name: windows-emulation/wine-faq
Posting-Frequency: monthly
Last-modified: 29 Mar 1997 14:56 PDT
Version: 5.5a

		    The WINE (Windows Emulator) FAQ
		     version 5.5a (mid April 1997)
		Copyright (c) 1997, All Rights Reserved
		by P. David Gardner (d...@asgardpro.com)

	      The current version of Wine is: WINE-970415
		       Released: April 15, 1979

			  Table of Contents

What's new with the Wine Project

Section 0: General Information

Section 1: Overview
	 1.1 -- What is Wine, and what is it supposed to do?
	 1.2 -- What does the word Wine stand for?
	 1.3 -- What is the current version of Wine?
	 1.4 -- When will Wine be ready for general distribution?

Section 2: What programs can Wine run?
	 2.1 --	Which MS Windows programs does Wine currently run?
	 2.2 --	Which MS Windows programs do you expect Wine never to be
		able to run at all, and for what reason(s)?
	 2.3 --	Will MS Windows programs typically run faster or slower
		under UNIX and Wine than they do under MS-DOS and MS
		Windows? Will certain kinds of programs run slower or
		faster?
	 2.4 -- Are there any advantages or disadvantages to running MS
		Windows applications under Wine that I should be aware
		of?
	 2.5 -- Will Wine support MS Windows networked applications that
		use WINSOCK.DLL?
	 2.6 -- I'm a software developer who wants to use UNIX to develop
		programs rather than MS-DOS, but I need to write MS-DOS
		and MS Windows programs as well. Will I be able to run
		my favorite DOS and/or MS Windows compilers under Wine?

Section 3: What do I need to run Wine?
	 3.1 -- Under what hardware platform(s) and operating system(s)
		will Wine run?
	 3.2 -- What minimum CPU must I have in my computer to be able to
		run Wine and MS Windows applications smoothly?
	 3.3 -- How much disk space will the Wine source code and binaries
		take on my hard drive?
	 3.4 -- How much RAM do I need to have on my UNIX system to be
		able to run Wine and MS Windows applications smoothly?
	 3.5 -- I have a Drivespaced, Doublespaced or Stackered DOS
		partition. Can Wine run MS Windows binaries located in such
		a partition?
	 3.6 -- Do I need to have a DOS partition on my system to use Wine?
		Does MS Windows need to be loaded into that partition in
		order to run MS Windows programs under Wine?
	 3.7 -- If Wine completely replaces MS Windows, will it duplicate
		all of the functions of MS Windows?
	 3.8 -- Will I be able to install MS Windows applications in any
		UNIX filesystem?
	 3.9 -- Will Wine run only under X, or can it run in character mode?
	3.10 -- Will Wine run under any X window manager?
	3.11 -- Will 32-bit Windows 95 or Win NT applications run under Wine?

Section 4 - How to find, install, configure &amp; run Wine
	 4.1 -- Where can I get Wine?
	 4.2 -- If I do not have an Internet account, how can I get Wine?
	 4.3 -- How do I install Wine on my hard drive?
	 4.4 -- How do I compile the Wine distribution source code?
	 4.5 -- How do I configure Wine to run on my system?
	 4.6 -- How do I run an MS Windows program under Wine?
	 4.7 -- I have installed and configured Wine, but Wine cannot find
		MS Windows on my drive. Where did I go wrong?
	 4.8 -- I think I've found a bug. How do I report this bug to the
		Wine programming team?
	 4.9 -- I was able to get various MS Windows programs to run, but
		their menus do not work. What is wrong?
	4.10 -- I have run various MS Windows programs but since the program
		menus do not work, how can I exit these programs?
	4.11 -- How do I remove Wine from my computer?

Section 5: How to get help with Wine
	 5.1 -- Is there a Usenet newsgroup for Wine?
	 5.2 -- Is there a WWW site for Wine?

Section : How can you help the Wine Project?
	 6.1 -- How can I help contribute to the Wine project, and in what
		way(s)?
	 6.2 -- I want to help beta test Wine. How can I do this?
	 6.3 -- I have written some code that I would like to submit to the
		Wine project. How do I go about doing this?

Section 7: Who is responsible for the Wine Project?
	 7.1 -- Who is responsible for writing and maintaining the Wine
		source code?
	 7.2 -- Who is responsible for writing and maintaining the Wine
		FAQ?
	 7.3 -- Who are the folks and organizations who have contributed
		money or equipment to the Wine project?

		     What's New with the Wine Project

The following things have changed since the last issue of the Wine FAQ:

	4.1 -- Where can I get Wine?
	7.1 -- Who is responsible for writing and maintaining the Wine
	       source code?

                     SECTION 0: General Information

This is the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) for the Wine development
project. It contains both general and technical information about Wine:
project status, what it is and what it does, how to obtain and configure
and run it, and more. Please read this FAQ carefully before you post
questions about Wine to Usenet to see if your question is already answered
here first.

NOTE:	If you are reading this FAQ and it is April 30, 1997 or later,
	this document is out of date. Please get a new one from one of
	the sites mentioned below.

Please also note that since Wine is still alpha code, it may or may not
work to varying degrees on your system. Also note that from release to
release, programs may work and then not work, then work again. Neither the
Wine developers nor the Wine FAQ author/maintainer can be held responsible
for any damage that may be caused to your computer hardware, software or
data by your obtaining, installing, configuring, operating and/or removing
Wine. If you use Wine, you use it completely at your own risk.

The Wine FAQ is posted monthly to these newsgroups:

	comp.emulators.announce
	comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine
	comp.unix.bsd.386bsd.announce
	comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.announce
	comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.announce
	comp.os.linux.answers
	comp.windows.x.i386unix
	comp.answers
	news.answers

The Wine FAQ is reposted mid-month to the following newsgroup:

	comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine

The plaintext version of the Wine FAQ is available by anonymous ftp from
the following systems:

	ftp://ftp.asgardpro.com/wine/Wine.FAQ
	ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/ALPHA/Wine/Wine.FAQ
	ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-group/comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine/WINE_(WINdows_Emulator)_Frequently_Asked_Questions
	ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/ALPHA/wine/Wine.FAQ

and quite likely most of the other sites around the globe that mirror the
Wine distribution from the Wine project's main distribution site,
tsx-11.mit.edu.

The Wine FAQ is available on the World Wide Web (WWW), reachable with any
web browser such as Mosaic or Netscape, or the ASCII browser lynx, at the
following URL:

	http://www.asgardpro.com/wine/index.html

If you have any technical questions about Wine, please post these to the
newsgroup comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine.

If you have any suggestions for corrections, changes, expansion or further
clarification of this FAQ, please send them to the Wine FAQ author and
maintainer listed in Question 7.2.

		SECTION 1: An Overview of the Wine Project

1.1	What is Wine, and what is it supposed to do?

	Wine is both a program loader and an emulation library that will
	allow UNIX users to run MS Windows applications on an x86 hardware
	platform running under some UNIXes. The program loader will load
	and execute an MS Windows application binary, while the emulation
	library will take calls to MS Windows functions and translate these
	into calls to UNIX/X, so that equivalent functionality is achieved.

	MS Windows binaries will run directly; there will be no need for
	machine level emulation of program instructions. Sun has reported
	better performance with their version of WABI than is actually
	achieved under MS Windows, so theoretically the same result is
	possible under Wine.

1.2	What does the word Wine stand for?

	The word Wine stands for one of two things: WINdows Emulator, or
	Wine Is Not an Emulator. Both are right. Use whichever one you
	like best.

1.3	What is the current version of Wine?

	A new version of Wine is distributed about twice a month. You will
	be able to keep up on all the latest releases by reading the
	newsgroup comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine, where new release
	announcements are made.

	When downloading Wine from your ftp site of choice (see question
	4.1 for some of these choices), you can make sure you are getting
	the latest version by watching the version numbers in the
	distribution filename. For instance, the distribution released on
	June 20, 1994 was called Wine-940620.tar.gz.

	Patch files are also available. If you are current to the previous
	version, you can download and apply just the current patch file
	rather than the entire new distribution. The patch filenames follow
	the same conventions as the monthly distribution.

1.4	When will Wine be ready for general distribution?

	Because Wine is being developed by volunteers, it is difficult to
	predict when it will be ready for general distribution. Between
	90-98% of the functions used by MS Windows applets, and 80-90% of
	the functions used by major programs, have been at least partially
	implemented at this time. However, the remaining 10% will likely
	take another 90% of the time, not including debugging.

		   SECTION 2: What programs can Wine run?

2.1	Which MS Windows programs does Wine currently run?

	The newsgroup comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine contains posts that
	tell of successes, partial successes and failures to run certain
	MS Windows programs under Wine. Also, there are a few web sites
	that maintain lists of successes and failures in attempts to run
	MS Windows programs under Wine, and these are:

		http://dutifp.twi.tudelft.nl:8000/wine/
		http://www.linpro.no/wine/working-apps.html
		http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~wildfire/

	Please keep in mind that although work on Wine has come pretty far,
	it is still considered a developers'-only release. Programs may
	'break' and then run again from release to release. But many people
	have reported that some of the larger shareware and commercial
	programs are now beginning to run under Wine to varying degrees of
	success.

	Windows colors can vary from system to system, depending on your
	video card and monitor, but it's been reported that colors are
	generally darker under X and Wine than under native DOS and MS
	Windows.

	Some folks have reported that it is now possible, using dosemu,
	to run MS Windows 3.1 in standard mode and run major MS Windows
	software. Others report that standard mode doesn't work at all,
	but that enhanced mode does. Results are inconsistent and thus the
	results you get from trying dosemu to run MS Windows 3.1 in any mode
	will be equally inconsistent.

	Keep an eye on the newsgroup comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine for
	up-to-date reports of successes.

2.2	Which MS Windows programs do you expect Wine never to be able to
	run at all, and for what reason(s)?

	Back when work on Wine was just getting started, it was said that
	any MS Windows program that requires a special enhanced mode device
	driver (VxD) that cannot be rewritten specifically for Wine, will
	not run under Wine. While this is quite likely still a true
	statement for the most part, there is preliminary VxD support being
	added to Wine at this time.

2.3	Will MS Windows programs typically run faster or slower under UNIX
	and Wine than they do under DOS and MS Windows? Will certain kinds
	of programs run slower or faster?

	Programs should typically run at about the same speed under Wine as
	they do under DOS and MS Windows.

2.4	Are there any advantages or disadvantages to running MS Windows
	applications under Wine that I should be aware of?

	As with OS/2, you will be running 16-bit MS Windows applications in
	a 32-bit operating system using emulation techniques, so you will
	have similar advantages and disadvantages.

	There will be crash protection. That is, each MS Windows application
	running under Wine will be running in its own X window and its own
	portion of reserved memory, so that if one MS Windows application
	crashes, it will not crash the other MS Windows or UNIX applications
	that you may have running at the same time.

	Also, MS Windows programs should run at about the same speed under
	Wine as they do under MS Windows. When Wine is finished, you will be
	able to run your favorite MS Windows applications in a UNIX
	environment.

	However, be aware that any application written for a 16-bit operating
	system will run much less efficiently than its 32-bit cousin, so if
	you find a 32-bit application that fits your needs, you will be much
	better off switching.

2.5	Will Wine support MS Windows networked applications that use
	WINSOCK.DLL?

	Yes, Wine will support such applications. You will be able to run MS
	Windows applications such as Netscape and Mosaic, WS-FTP and TrumpTel
	and the like (though there are 32-bit native UNIX versions or
	analogs of most of these programs available now).

2.6	I'm a software developer who wants to use UNIX to develop programs
	rather than DOS, but I need to write DOS and MS Windows programs as
	well. Will I be able to run my favorite DOS and/or MS Windows
	compilers under Wine?

	Wine testers report that dosemu, the DOS emulator for Linux, supports
	DPMI (DOS Protected Mode Interface). This means that folks can run
	MS Windows in standard mode under dosemu, and can also run (with
	varying degrees of success) the Microsoft and Borland C++ compilers.

	However, at last report, Wine itself cannot run these compilers, nor
	is it able to run any MS Windows debuggers, and may not be able to
	for some time.

	Keep in mind that Wine is being designed to run existing MS Windows
	applications. A custom MS Windows program specifically written to be
	compatible with Wine may not work the same as when it is run under
	DOS and MS Windows.

		     SECTION 3: What you need to run Wine

3.1	Under what hardware platform(s) and operating system(s) will Wine
	run?

	Wine is being developed specifically to run on the Intel x86 class
	of CPUs under certain UNIXes that run on the x86 platform. UNIXes
	currently being tested for Wine compatibility include Linux, NetBSD,
	FreeBSD and Unixware, and there is now support for SCO OpenServer 5.
	The Wine development team hopes to attract the interest of other
	commercial UNIX and UNIX clone vendors as well.

3.2	What minimum CPU must I have in my computer to be able to run Wine
	and MS Windows applications smoothly?

	Wine won't run on any ix86 CPU less than an 80386. It is known to
	also work in the 80486 and Pentium CPUs. Beyond that, the basic test
	is, if you can run X11 now, you should be able to run Wine and MS
	Windows applications under it. As always, the faster your CPU, the
	better. Having a math coprocessor is unimportant. However, having a
	graphics accelerated video card supported by X will help greatly.

3.3	How much disk space will the Wine source code and binaries take on
	my hard drive?

	It is anticipated that when Wine is completed, you will need
	approximately 50 megabytes of hard drive space to store and
	compile the source code.

3.4	How much RAM do I need to have on my UNIX system to be able to run
	Wine and MS Windows applications smoothly?

	If you can run X smoothly on your UNIX system now, you should be
	able to run Wine and MS Windows applications just fine too. A Wine
	workstation should realistically have at least 16 megabytes of RAM
	and a 16 megabyte swap partition. More is better, of course.

3.5	I have a Drivespaced, Doublespaced or Stackered DOS partition. Can
	Wine run MS Windows binaries located in such a partition?

	Only if the operating system supports mounting those types of drives.
	Currently, NetBSD and FreeBSD do not. There is a Linux filesystem
	driver that will allow read/write access through Doublespaced and
	Drivespace 1.0 drives. More specifically, it supports mounting DOS
	6.0 and 6.2 Doublespaced, DOS 6.22 Drivespaced, and Windows 95
	Doublespaced compressed partitions (read and write access works fine,
	but write access is slow). It can be found at:

		ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Filesystems/dosfs/dmsdosfs-0.5.8.tgz

3.6	Do I need to have a DOS partition on my system to use Wine? Does MS
	Windows need to be loaded into that partition in order to run MS
	Windows programs under Wine?

	You do not need DOS or MS Windows to install, configure and run
	Wine. However, Wine has to be able to 'see' an MS Windows binary if
	it is to run it.

	Some folks have successfully installed and run some small programs
	in their UNIX filesystem without having a DOS partition or MS Windows.
	However, not all programs will work this way yet. Some applications'
	installation programs want to distribute some of the package's files
	into the /windows and /windows/system directories in order to run,
	and unless these exist on your system, those programs will not
	install correctly and probably will not run right or run at all.

	If you have a DOS partition with MS Windows installed in it, make
	sure that your UNIX system can 'see' this partition (check your
	/etc/fstab file or mount the partition manually) so that Wine can
	run the MS Windows binaries located in the DOS partition.

	When it is finished, Wine will not require that you have a DOS
	partition on your system at all, meaning that you will not need to
	have MS Windows installed either. Wine programmers will provide an
	application setup program to allow you to install your MS Windows
	programs straight from your distribution diskettes into your UNIX
	filesystem, or from within your UNIX filesystem if you ftp an MS
	Windows program over the Internet.

3.7	If Wine completely replaces MS Windows, will it duplicate all of the
	functions of MS Windows?

	Most of them, yes. However, some applications and applets that come
	with MS Windows, such as File Manager and Calculator, can be
	considered by some to be redundant, since 32-bit UNIX programs that
	duplicate these applet's functions already exist.

3.8	Will I be able to install MS Windows applications in any UNIX
	filesystem?

	Wine is written to be filesystem independent, so MS Windows
	applications will install and run under any filesystem supported by
	your brand of UNIX.

3.9	Will Wine run only under X, or can it run in character mode?

	Being a GUI (graphical user interface), MS Windows does not have a
	character mode, so there will be no character mode for Wine. So yes,
	you must run Wine under X.

3.10	Will Wine run under any X window manager?

	Wine is window manager independent, so the X window manager you
	choose to run has no bearing on your ability to run MS Windows
	programs under Wine. Wine uses the standard X libraries, so no
	additional ones are needed.

3.11	Will 32-bit Windows 95 or Win NT applications run under Wine?

	Wine developers have already incorporated some Win32 code into Wine,
	and improvements appear with every new release of Wine.

	    SECTION 4: How to find, install, configure & run Wine

4.1	Where can I get Wine?

	Wine can now be found on quite a few systems throughout the Internet.
	Here is a list of the official distribution sites where you will find
	it:

	ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/ALPHA/wine/development/Wine-970415.tar.gz
	ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/ALPHA/Wine/development/Wine-970415.tar.gz
	ftp://ftp.infomagic.com/pub/mirrors/linux/wine/development/Wine-970415.tar.gz
	ftp://ftp.progsoc.uts.edu.au/pub/wine/Wine-970415.tar.gz

	It should also be available from any site that mirrors tsx-11 or
	sunsite.

	Notes from the latest release:

			------ [ begin included text ] ------

	This is release 970415 of Wine, the MS Windows emulator. This is
	still a developer's only release.  There are many bugs and many
	unimplemented API features. Most applications still do not work
	correctly.

	Patches should be submitted to julli...@lrc.epfl.ch. Please don't
	forget to include a ChangeLog entry.

	WHAT'S NEW with Wine-970415: (see ChangeLog for details)

		-- Edit control improvements.
		-- Some files moved around.
		-- Lots of bug fixes.

	See the README file in the distribution for installation
	instructions.

	If you submitted a patch, please check to make sure it has been
	included in the new release.

	If you want to get the new releases faster, you can subscribe to
	the wine-patches mailing list by sending a mail containing 'subscribe
	wine-patches your_address' to majord...@tiger.informatik.hu-berlin.de.

			------ [ end included text ] ------

	Some of these ftp sites may archive previous versions of Wine as well
	as the current one. To determine which is the latest one, look at the
	distribution filename, which will take the form:

		Wine-[yymmdd].tar.gz

	Simply replace [yymmdd] in the distribution filename with the numbers
	for year, month and date respectively. The latest one is the one to
	get.

	Patch files are also available, so you don't have to download,
	install and configure the entire distribution each week if you are
	current to the previous release. Patch file release names follow the
	same numbering convention as do the general releases, and take the
	form:

		Wine-[yymmdd].diff.gz

	Patch files are available from the following sites:

	ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/ALPHA/wine/development/Wine-970415.diff.gz
	ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/ALPHA/Wine/development/Wine-970415.diff.gz
	ftp://ftp.infomagic.com/pub/mirrors/linux/wine/development/Wine-970415.diff.gz
	ftp://ftp.progsoc.uts.edu.au/pub/wine/Wine-970415.diff.gz

	Note that any mirror of tsx-11 will likely carry the Wine distribution
	and diff files, but may not be listed here in this FAQ. If you are
	mirroring the Wine distribution from the tsx-11 site and wish to be
	listed here in this FAQ, please send email to the FAQ
	author/maintainer listed in Question 7.2.

4.2	If I do not have an Internet account, how can I get Wine?

	Some CD-ROM archives of Internet sites, notably those from Walnut
	Creek that archive ftp.cdrom.com and sunsite.unc.edu, do include
	some versions of Wine on their CD releases. However, the age of these
	distributions should always be questioned, as the 'snapshot' of the
	ftp site may have been taken anywhere from 1-4 months (or more)
	prior to the CD's pressing date.

	Your best bet to get the very latest distribution of Wine, if you do
	not have your own Internet account, is to find a friend who does have
	an Internet account and have him/her ftp the necessary files for you.
	If you have an email account on a BBS that can reach the Internet
	through a gateway, you may be able to use 'email ftp' to get the Wine
	release sent to you; check with your BBS system operator for details.

	If you are running a BBS that is not connected to the Internet but
	does offer the Wine distribution for download, and would like to be
	listed in this FAQ, please forward such information to the FAQ
	author/maintainer as listed in Question 7.2.

4.3	How do I install Wine on my hard drive?

	Just un-gzip and un-tar the file, and follow the instructions
	contained in the README file that will be located in the base Wine
	directory.

4.4	How do I compile the Wine distribution source code?
4.5	How do I configure Wine to run on my system?

	All of the directions to perform these two steps are located in the
	README file that will be located in the base Wine directory after you
	ungzip and untar the distribution file.

4.6	How do I run an MS Windows program under Wine?

	Assuming you are running X already, call up an xterm window. Then, at
	the shell prompt, type:

		wine [/path/progname]

	Another X window will pop up on top of the shell window and the
	binary should begin to execute.

	Let's assume that you want to run MS Windows' Solitaire. Under DOS,
	you had previously installed MS Windows on your C: drive under the
	subdirectory /WINDOWS. Under UNIX, you have mounted the C: drive
	under /dos/c. To run MS Windows Solitaire, you would type:

		wine /dos/c/windows/sol.exe

4.7	I have installed and configured Wine, but Wine cannot find MS Windows
	on my drive. Where did I go wrong?

	First, make sure you have mounted your DOS partition into your UNIX
	filesystem, either by putting the entry into /etc/fstab, or by
	manually mounting it. Remember too that unless your version of UNIX
	can see through it, or you are running a utility that can see through
	it, your DOS partition must not be located on a Drivespaced,
	Doublespaced or Stackered partition, as neither Linux, FreeBSD,
	NetBSD or Wine can (without add-ons) currently 'see' files located
	in these compressed DOS partitions.

	Next, check your path statements in the wine.conf file. No capital
	letters may be used in paths, as they are automatically converted to
	lowercase.

4.8	I think I've found a bug. How do I report this bug to the Wine
	programming team?

	Bug reports should be posted to the following newsgroup:

		comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine

4.9	I was able to get various MS Windows programs to run, but their
	menus do not work. What is wrong?

	Wine is not complete at this time, so the menus may not work. They
	will in time as more of the MS Windows API calls are included in
	Wine.

4.10	I have run various MS Windows programs but since the program menus
	do not work, how can I exit these programs?

	Kill the xterm shell window that you called up to run your MS
	Windows program, and the X window that appeared with the program
	will be killed too.

4.11	How do I remove Wine from my computer?

	All you have to do is to type:

		rm -fR [/path/]Wine*

	Make sure you specify the exact path when using the powerful
	rm -fR command. If you are afraid you might delete something
	important, or might otherwise delete other files within your
	filesystem, change into each Wine subdirectory singly and delete the
	files found there manually, one file or directory at a time. Neither
	the Wine developers and programmers, nor the Wine FAQ
	author/maintainer, can be held responsible for your deleting any
	files in your own filesystem.

			SECTION 5: How to get help with Wine

5.1	Is there a Usenet newsgroup for Wine?

	Yes, and it's called:

		comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine

	The newsgroup's charter states that it will consist of announcements
	and discussion about Wine. The newsgroup serves as a place for
	developers to discuss Wine, and for minor announcements for the
	general public. Major announcements will be crossposted to other
	appropriate groups, such as the following newsgroups:

		comp.os.linux.announce
		comp.windows.x.announce
		comp.emulators.announce

	If your Usenet site does not carry these newsgroups, please urge your
	sysadmin and/or uplink to add it.

	There is also an archived version of the newsgroup at the following
		http://www.linpro.no/wine/

5.2	Is there a WWW site for Wine?

	Here are the URLs for a few sites reachable with your favorite web
	browser:

		http://www.thepoint.com/unix/emulate/wine
		http://www.linpro.no/wine/
		http://www.qbc.clic.net/~krynos/wine_en.html

	If you are installing or maintain a WWW page pertaining to Wine that
	would be useful for others to read, please inform the FAQ
	author/maintainer as detailed in Question 7.2 for inclusion in the
	next edition of the Wine FAQ.

	     SECTION 6: How you can help with the Wine Project

6.1	How can I help contribute to the Wine project, and in what way(s)?

	You can contribute programming skills, or monetary or equipment
	donations, to aid the Wine developers in reaching their goal. To
	find out who, what, where, when and why, please post your desire to
	contribute to the following newsgroup:

		comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine

6.2	I want to help beta test Wine. How can I do this?

	Beta testers are currently not needed, as Wine is still Alpha code
	at this time. However, anyone is welcome to download the latest
	version and try it out at any time.

6.3	I have written some code that I would like to submit to the Wine
	project. How do I go about doing this?

	Send your weekly code contributions to the following address:

		julli...@lrc.epfl.ch

	You should verify that your code was included in the subsequent
	release of Wine, as project managers cannot guarantee that the mail
	server will not suffer some computer failure that will cause loss
	of your message and code after it is received.

		    SECTION 7: Who's responsible for Wine?

7.1	Who is responsible for writing and maintaining the Wine source code?

	Wine is available thanks to the work of Bob Amstadt, Dag Asheim,
	Martin Ayotte, Peter Bajusz, Ross Biro, Uwe Bonnes, Erik Bos,
	Fons Botman, John Brezak, Andrew Bulhak, John Burton, Niels de
	Carpentier, Jimen Ching, Huw D. M. Davies, Roman Dolejsi, Frans
	van Dorsselaer, Paul Falstad, David Faure, Olaf Flebbe, Peter
	Galbavy, Ramon Garcia, Matthew Ghio, Hans de Graaff, Charles M.
	Hannum, John Harvey, Cameron Heide, Jochen Hoenicke, Onno Hovers,
	Jeffrey Hsu, Miguel de Icaza, Jukka Iivonen, Lee Jaekil, Alexandre
	Julliard, Bang Jun-Young, Pavel Kankovsky, Jochen Karrer,
	Andreas Kirschbaum, Albrecht Kleine, Jon Konrath, Alex Korobka,
	Greg Kreider, Anand Kumria, Scott A. Laird, Andrew Lewycky,
	Martin von Loewis, Kenneth MacDonald, Peter MacDonald, William
	Magro, Juergen Marquardt, Ricardo Massaro, Marcus Meissner, Graham
	Menhennitt, David Metcalfe, Bruce Milner, Steffen Moeller, Andreas
	Mohr, Philippe De Muyter, Itai Nahshon, Michael Patra, Jim Peterson,
	Robert Pouliot, Keith Reynolds, Slaven Rezic, John Richardson,
	Johannes Ruscheinski, Thomas Sandford, Constantine Sapuntzakis,
	Pablo Saratxaga, Daniel Schepler, Ulrich Schmid, Bernd Schmidt,
	Yngvi Sigurjonsson, Stephen Simmons, Rick Sladkey, William Smith,
	Dominik Strasser, Vadim Strizhevsky, Erik Svendsen, Tristan Tarrant,
	Andrew Taylor, Duncan C Thomson, Goran Thyni, Jimmy Tirtawangsa, Jon
	Tombs, Linus Torvalds, Gregory Trubetskoy, Petri Tuomola, Michael
	Veksler, Sven Verdoolaege, Ronan Waide, Eric Warnke, Manfred
	Weichel, Morten Welinder, Jan Willamowius, Carl Williams, Karl
	Guenter Wuensch, Eric Youngdale, James Youngman, Mikolaj Zalewski,
	and John Zero.

7.2	Who is responsible for writing and maintaining the Wine FAQ?

	This FAQ was written and is being maintained by Dave Gardner
	(d...@asgardpro.com), who is not involved in coding Wine.  Please do
	not email technical questions about the Wine project to the FAQ
	maintainer, but rather post them to the newsgroup.

7.3	Who are the folks and organizations who have contributed money or
	equipment to the Wine project?

	People and organizations who have given generous contributions of
	money and equipment include David L. Harper, Bob Hepple, Mark A.
	Horton, Kevin P. Lawton, the Syntropy Institute, and James Woulfe.

"The Wine FAQ" is Copyright (C) 1995-1997 by P. David Gardner, c/o Asgard
Network Productions, 1107 Fair Oaks Ave., #175, South Pasadena CA 91030
USA. Voicemail/Fax (818) 441-5180. Email: d...@asgardpro.com. URL:
http://www.asgardpro.com/dave/. Permission is hereby is granted to link
to, copy, archive and republish this FAQ, provided all information herein
is kept intact, and is not altered without prior permission of the Author,
including this copyright notice. If you have any questions concerning
these permissions, please email or write me immediately at the addresses
contained herein.

--
Dave Gardner
d...@asgardpro.com