From: Chris Tatnall <c.r.tatn...@larc.nasa.gov>
Subject: File Structure
Date: 1996/08/06
sender: owner-linux-ad...@vger.rutgers.edu
x-sender: c.r.tatn...@express.larc.nasa.gov
content-type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
x-hdr-sender: c.r.tatn...@larc.nasa.gov
mime-version: 1.0
x-env-sender: owner-linux-admin-outgo...@vger.rutgers.edu
newsgroups: linux.dev.admin

I was recently talking to an actual UNIX sysadmin about how to determine
which files go into which directories, knowing that these conventions can
be very important with some software, especially general UNIX software that
is not particularly made for Linux. For example, he warned me that leaving
the /var directory in the root partition could produce problems when I set
up printing because overflows could overwrite my root software; additionally
he mentioned that typically apps. should be installed in /opt, not in
/usr/local as per the (RedHat) Linux instructions. I light of all this, I
am wondering if there are any sysadmins that can confirm or deny the
necessity of strictly adhering to UNIX conventions in Linux. The RedHat
distribution tells me to setup five partitions: swap, / , /usr , /usr/local ,
and /home. UNIX typically is setup with swap, / , /usr , /usr/local , /var ,
and /opt at the very minimum (/home is usually a subdir. of
/usr/local/export). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Tatnall
GWU/NASA JIAFS Program
(757) 864-8608
c.r.tatn...@larc.nasa.gov