From: ar...@sound.net (Artus)
Subject: Directory Structure
Date: 1996/05/10
organization: Sound Advice Limited's Internet Access for KC
newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup

I have Linux up and running, but feel as though it is not "elegant."
I particular, I don't understand the philosophy of the best locations
for files. The books I have and FAQs don't sem to shed much light.
Are there any "rules of thumb" or "norms" for the file locations?
For, example, there are numerous "bin", "lib", and "etc" locations --
how do you select the most appropriate? Although this problem does
not stop the system, it sure makes it confusing. Thanks.

organization: University of Missouri at Rolla
newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup

~I have Linux up and running, but feel as though it is not "elegant."
~I particular, I don't understand the philosophy of the best locations
~for files. The books I have and FAQs don't sem to shed much light.
~Are there any "rules of thumb" or "norms" for the file locations?
~For, example, there are numerous "bin", "lib", and "etc" locations --
~how do you select the most appropriate? Although this problem does
~not stop the system, it sure makes it confusing. Thanks.

See ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/fsstnd/fsstnd-1.2.txt for
the Linux Filesystem Standard.

--
Peter Abeln p...@umr.edu (573) 341-8653
homepage at the usual address: http://www.umr.edu/~pra

>I have Linux up and running, but feel as though it is not "elegant."
>I particular, I don't understand the philosophy of the best locations
>for files. The books I have and FAQs don't sem to shed much light.
>Are there any "rules of thumb" or "norms" for the file locations?
>For, example, there are numerous "bin", "lib", and "etc" locations --
>how do you select the most appropriate? Although this problem does
>not stop the system, it sure makes it confusing. Thanks.

There is a Linux Filesystem Standard document. Check the mirrors.
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. Life is a fuzzy set
Foundation for Chemistry Multivariant and stochastic