From: jmacl...@fox.nstn.ns.ca (James MacLean)
Subject: [linux.dev.msdos] Announce: Official Release of DOSEMU0.60
references: < m0rxm50-0000WAC@dosemu.nstn.ns.ca>
x-original-date: Sat, 8 Apr 1995 22:46:21 -0400 (ADT)
organization: Yggdrasil Computing, Inc.
The DOSEMU team is proud to announce DOSEMU 0.60, the PC Emulator for Linux!
WHAT IS DOSEMU?
DOSEMU is a PC Emulator application that allows Linux to run a DOS
operating system in a virtual x86 machine. This allows you to run
many DOS applications. These are capabilities of DOSEMU worth noting:
- Color text and full keyboard emulation (via hotkeys) via terminal
- Built-in X-Windows support, includes IBM character set font!
- Graphics capability at the console with most compatible video cards.
- Much-improved DPMI support.
- Runs Borland BCC.EXE / TCC.EXE version 3.x command line compilers!
- Borlandc C++ 3.x IDE (with emumodule.o or kernel patch)
- Runs several 32-bit DPMI-compilant video games, including DOS/4GW,
at the Linux console. A partial list of successfully tested games
includes DOOM2, Heretic, Descent, MK2, OMF2097, ROTT, and WarCraft!
- Games runs *MUCH* faster in dosemu due to improved timer emulation
- FreeBSD verison of DOSEMU under development, contact j...@atria.com
- CDROM support
- Linux 1.1.31+ (with IPC support, IPX support optional)
- GCC 2.6.3 and LIBC 4.6.27 are recommended for best results.
- Plenty of swap, since DOSEMU requires between 12 and 25 megabytes
of total memory to compile, depending on Makefile configuration.
This release could not have gotten out the door without the work of
the our relentless development team and friends, currently consisting
of at least:
Jon Tombs Aaron Karl Kiniger
Daniel R. Barrlow Christoph Niemann Theadore Tso
Derek Fawcus Linus Torvalds Alan Cox
Alessandro Rubini Corey Sweeney James Maclean
Hans Lermen Andrew.Tridgell Jochen Hein
Jason E Gorden Lam Lai Yin, Savio Alistair MacDonald
Lawrence K Mao Ronnie Mark Rejhon
Michael E. Deisher Larry Stephan Lutz Molgedey
Amit Margalt Marty Leisner Dong Liu
Scott Buchholz Tim Van der Linden John Davis
Kang-Jin Lee Matthew Grant David Hansen
John Kohl Kevin P Lawton Rod May
Wayne P Meissner Vinod G Kulkarni
WHERE TO GET IT:
The DOSEMU PC Emulator can be downloaded from the following FTP sites
when version 0.60.0 arrives on April the 1st:
We expect to see DOSEMU being included as an extra with many Linux
If you haven't used DOSEMU in several months (Especially if the last
version you used was DOSEMU 0.52 or earlier), please go to great
caution to read the "QuickStart" file included with DOSEMU since
the location and format of files (including the configuration file) has
changed since the DOSEMU 0.50pl1.
While DOSEMU may be more stable than many of the previous releases, it
must be noted that it is still possible to crash the Linux video and
keyboard, if you don't follow instructions properly. In this case, it
becomes necessary to use a remote terminal or even the RESET button,
to reboot the system.
The main risks of DOSEMU are the 'graphics' capability and 'rawkeyboard'.
These can be disabled in the DOSEMU configuration file, to make DOSEMU
become bullet-proof, at the cost of some convenience.
Many thanks to all who have helped with this release, by sending bug
reports, patches, comments and/or ideas for DOSEMU! My apologies for
not having answered every letter, and possibly missing some important
information. If you know something you think we should know,
contact us, PLEASE! We can be reached at:
linux-ms...@vger.rutgers.edu (The DOSEMU team)