From: jkant...@paju.oulu.fi (Jussi Kantola)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: State of Linux for various architectures
Date: 11 Jan 1995 11:46:15 GMT

As the subject tells, I'd like to know the current state of
Linux for 68k, Alpha, Sun etc... so, please.
--
email: Jussi.Kant...@Oulu.Fi (Jussi Kantola)   IRC: jute
Nobody passes the test of time

From: torva...@cc.Helsinki.FI (Linus Torvalds)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: State of Linux for various architectures
Date: 11 Jan 1995 19:11:43 +0200

In article <JKANTOLA.95Jan11134...@paju.oulu.fi>,
Jussi Kantola <jkant...@paju.oulu.fi> wrote:

>As the subject tells, I'd like to know the current state of
>Linux for 68k, Alpha, Sun etc... so, please.

I'll just mention the alpha, as that's what I'm personally working on.

State: I've mostly finished the rough portability-cleanups, and my
kernel compiles cleanly on both the alpha and the i486 platform.  The
alpha version doesn't actually link yet, as I haven't implemented all of
the functions required, but it's getting pretty close (28 undefined
functions right now, but some of them are reasonably hairy).  So the
alpha kernel obviously doesn't even boot..

I'll be working on the alpha, and I hope to have a linking and booting
kernel by the end of this week: but I'd like to point out that "boot" is
very much different from "work".  That will take some time yet (+ the
time to get user-level stuff going to any reasonable degree).

Jim Paradis is also working on the alpha port, although I haven't seen
his source tree yet.  He reportedly already has lots of stuff working.
Our ports obviously differ a bit: the 32/64-bit difference has been
mentioned (I am working with a 64-bit port).

The m68k port is working, and has been for some time.  It's a separate
source tree, though.  The PowerPC port may pick up speed soon: watch
this space.

		Linus