From: Hamish.Macdon...@bnr.ca (Hamish Macdonald)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development
Subject: Future development of Linux and affects on other architectures
Date: 15 Mar 1994 21:21:06 GMT

I'd just like to mention here that anyone who is developing new
features in Linux, or is enhancing existing features to add new
functionality should keep in mind that Linux is being ported to other
architectures.

Any time you feel the urge to put inline assembler into code which has
no direct link to either the i386 architecture or the IBM PC clone
architecture, think twice before doing so.

If you absolute must put in inline assembler (speed reasons are the
only possible reason I can see), please abstract it out into an
"inline function" or a preprocessor macro, and keep the definition of
the inline function or macro separate from the main functionality.

If you follow rules like this, then it makes porting of these new
features to Linux on other architectures easier.

An example of the benefits of this is the fact that the "net/unix"
Unix domain socket code ported over to Linux/68k with absolutely no
changes required to the source.  I was very happy when I was able to
do this.

> I'd just like to mention here that anyone who is developing new
> features in Linux, or is enhancing existing features to add new
> functionality should keep in mind that Linux is being ported to other
> architectures.

I agree fully.

> Any time you feel the urge to put inline assembler into code which has
> no direct link to either the i386 architecture or the IBM PC clone
> architecture, think twice before doing so.
> If you absolute must put in inline assembler (speed reasons are the
> only possible reason I can see), please abstract it out into an

Speed concerns are real!  Not everyone has a Pentium, remember.

> "inline function" or a preprocessor macro, and keep the definition of
> the inline function or macro separate from the main functionality.

... When you do, it should take the form:
#ifndef i386
  simple {
    c;
    substitute();
  }
#else
  high
  speed
  assembly
  hack
#endif

A good example is in linux/drivers/sound/audio, except they chose
to use #ifdef NO_INLINE_ASM instead of #ifndef i386.
I would like to see the fast file name compares in the file system
directories pulled out into a construct like this, and since they
all do about the same thing, it can go into a common asm/ include.

> If you follow rules like this, then it makes porting of these new
> features to Linux on other architectures easier.

Personally, I don't have any grand hopes that "Linux" will become
a mainstream OS for anything other than x86 machines.  OTOH, the
code base it has generated (and is continuing to generate) is real,
and will have a lasting effect on *nix for all machines.

> An example of the benefits of this is the fact that the "net/unix"
> Unix domain socket code ported over to Linux/68k with absolutely no
> changes required to the source.  I was very happy when I was able to
> do this.

Yahoo!  I am looking forward to a Linux-ish R4200 laptop.

          - Larry Doolittle   doolit...@cebaf.gov

>> "inline function" or a preprocessor macro, and keep the definition of
>> the inline function or macro separate from the main functionality.
>
>... When you do, it should take the form:
>#ifndef i386
>  simple {
>    c;
>    substitute();
>  }
>#else
>  high
>  speed
>  assembly
>  hack
>#endif

	If we get ports to multiple architectures, this type of coding could be
quite difficult to read.  Instead I would suggest that the macros or inline
functions be stored in the header files in include/asm.  Ultimately there will
need to be separate asm directories for i386 and other machines, so you would
merely set up a link to the right directory and you would get the right
functions.  There could also be some kind of "generic" directory for the C
equivalents.

-Eric

--
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.  But I have promises to keep,
And lines to code before I sleep, And lines to code before I sleep."