From: gt81...@prism.gatech.edu (Howlin' Bob)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] dosemu 0.49 released
Date: 23 May 1993 14:31:38 -0400
Sender: m...@TC.Cornell.EDU

Greetings!

I hereby announce the release of the Linux DOS emulator version 0.49.
Rejoice and be merry!

This release fixes umpteen bugs and adds a feature or two, including...
wait for it... VGA graphics!  Also included are such neat things as:

  * did I already say VGA graphics?
  * a new disk redirector
  * serial ports (which also work with mscmouse.com to give you mouse access)
  * better printer handling
  * better raw-disk partition handling
  * better int10h screen handling, fixing all those Turbo Pascal programs
    that screwed up before
  * much less CPU hungry keyboard anti-polling routines
  * almost compile-less configuration with run-time configuration file
  * bug-swatting like you wouldn't believe.  but you know bugs, there are
    still a multitude hiding under the metaphorical sink... sigh.
  * and much, much more!

Be the envy of your friends, be the talk of the town!  Run fractint and
EMACS *at* *the* *same* *time*!

You'll need the Linux kernel version 0.99pl7 or later to run dosemu.
You'll also need the excellent SYSV IPC kernel patches, which can be found
in these places:

  sunsite.unc.edu: /pub/Linux/kernel/misc-patches/ipcdelta.tar.z
  tsx-11.mit.edu : /pub/linux/patches/ipcdelta.tar.z

Apply these patches to your kernel sources, recompile the kernel, reboot,
and you should have a dosemu-ready kernel.  By the way, ipcdelta doesn't
patch cleanly into 0.99pl9, at least, so you'll have to do a little editing
on linux/kernel/sys.c and linux/kernel/fork.c.  Hopefully ipcgamma
patches are due out soon.

I have but one more thing to say: READ THE MANUAL!  God will strike
you down if you don't.  I promise.  Details about getting the manual are
below.  I put a PostScript version on tsx-11, as well as an Info
version.  The original manual (included in the dosemu source
tar file) is a TeXinfo file.  I know I'm going to get a lot of
complaints about not using plain ASCII, but Info format is about
as close to ASCII as you can get.  If your editor/file viewer can't handle
an infrequent ^_ character, it's time to get a new one.

For your entertainment, the README.first file included in the distribution:
This is release 0.49 of the Linux MS-DOS emulator.  You will need
to read the documentation before you use the DOS emulator.  If you
have TeX and the macro file texinfo.tex installed and wish to generate
printable output, do this:

   cd doc
   make dvi

then run whatever program you use to print .dvi files, such as dvips.
You may also preview dvi files under X11 with xdvi.

If you have the makeinfo program, you may generate EMACS Info-mode
browsable output with these commands:

   cd doc
   make info

The dosemu.info* files are fairly close to plain ASCII, so you can
simply read those if no other viewing methods are convenient.

If you would like pre-generated PostScript and Info documents, ftp to
tsx-11.mit.edu.  Within the directory /pub/linux/ALPHA/dosemu there
are two files:

   emuman.ps.z
   emuman.info.tgz

These are tar'ed and GNU gzip'ed files.  emuman.ps.z is the
pre-generated PostScript form of the manual, and emuman.info.tgz is
the Info form of the manual.

You may also get the dosemu distribution itself from that directory.
The file is:

   dosemu0.49.tgz

The dos.1 man page in the doc directory is obsolete.

If you have any problems, please send them to the Linux MSDOS mailing
list.  You may find out more about the mailing list by sending mail
with a subject heading of HELP to:

   linux-activists-requ...@niksula.hut.fi

Good luck,

Robert Sanders
gt81...@prism.gatech.edu

--
Robert Sanders
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt8134b

--
Matt Welsh, m...@tc.cornell.edu
"That kernel's got a mean streak A MILE WIDE!!" --Chip Salzenberg