Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
From: h...@netcom.com (Gregory O. Harp)
Subject: 680x0 Linux FAQ
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1993 03:34:24 GMT

[At the suggestion of one of your readers, I am posting our FAQ here.]

The Official...

New and Improved...

Environmentally Friendly...

680x0 Linux FAQ (TM)

[Now legal in 40 states]

ABOUT THIS FAQ

  This FAQ is intended to provide general information on the 680x0 Linux
  port project which is currently underway.  Mainly, it's an attempt to
  cut down on the flow of email that inevitably comes in every time I
  post something about the project. ;)

WHEN WILL 680x0 LINUX BE AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC?

  I don't know.  A couple months, maybe.  We're working hard on it at
  this point, and advancing leaps and bounds (and a few stumbles).
  There's really no point to releasing the current system to the public.
  It's not useful, and only occasionally even mildly entertaining. ;)

WHAT IS THE CURRENT STATUS OF THE PORT?

  We're still working on the basic kernel at this point.  The scheduler,
  memory management code, interrupt code, filesystem code, and handful
  of drivers have been implemented.  There's not much to see right now.
  The system comes up and goes through some of the startup process, then
  sits there and idles at you. ;)

WHAT PLATFORMS WILL IT RUN ON?

  The Amiga port project is the only effort to port Linux to a 680x0
  platform that I'm aware of.  However, we are paying attention to
  portability where possible.  It is our intention to cooperate with
  other groups willing to work with us.

  I expect that once we make our first public release of the system,
  several groups will begin porting our sources to various platforms.
  Interest has been shown by Atari programmers, mostly.  There are also
  a few people hoping to bring Linux up on Sun 3's.  I haven't heard
  from any Macintosh folks.  In all probability only the startup code,
  interrupt code, and drivers will need re-writing to get the system
  running on these systems, or any others with the necessary basic
  hardware.

  I'm aware that the phrase "necessary basic hardware" begs some
  explanation.  Simply put, that would be a machine with a 68020+68851,
  68030 (non-EC model), or 68040 processor, at least a couple megs of
  RAM, a good amount of hard disk space, and obviously some form of text
  i/o device (i.e. you technically don't even need a display and
  keyboard if you can plug a terminal into it).

  There _has_ been talk of a port that could run on non-MMU-equipped
  machines as well, though it would lack the obvious features inherent
  in a memory-managed operating system (e.g. true virtual memory, memory
  protection).  There is currently no effort underway to implement such a
  system that I'm aware of.

HOW COMPATIBLE WILL IT BE WITH OTHER SYSTEMS?

  We, of course, hope that 680x0 Linux will be compatible (at the source
  level) with 80x86 Linux, as well as many other Unix or Unix-like
  systems.  Linux is POSIX.1 compliant, which helps quite a bit with
  porting software to it.

  Binary compatibility with _any_ OS other than 680x0 Linux ports is
  highly unlikely.

WILL X WINDOWS BE AVAILABLE FOR 680x0 LINUX?

  I get this question a lot, so I figured it's worth having its own
  section.  The answer is yes... probably... eventually. ;)

WILL THE AMIGA PORT RUN UNDER OR EMULATE AMIGADOS?

  No.  Actually, the latter is a possibility, I guess.

WHAT ABOUT MACH?

  There is a separate effort to port CMU's Mach kernel to the Amiga and
  other 680x0 platforms.  I'm not really familiar with their work.
  We've only stolen a little code from them. ;) Anyway, our Linux port
  is not intended to run under Mach.  It runs "on the metal".

CAN I BE AN ALPHA/BETA TESTER?

  We're not currently at a stage where we need any testers.  (See above
  under the section CURRENT STATUS OF THE PORT.)

IS THERE A MAILING LIST?

  We have a channel on the Linux Activists Mailing List called '680x0'
  for discussion of the port.  Currently, it's rather quiet.  However,
  it's the "official" source of information on the system.  On the
  other hand, any important announcements will also be posted to the
  newsgroups in which this FAQ appears.

  For help in subscribing to the channel, send an empty message to
  <linux-activists-requ...@joker.cs.hut.fi>.

CONTACTS:

  Greg Harp <h...@netcom.com>

  I'm the main 680x0 Linux contact person.  Please feel free to send
  your questions to me.
--
-----------------Greg-Harp----------------h...@netcom.com------------------
       "Wide mouths with narrow minds can't accept your difference.

[Apologies to any of you who just saw this a few days ago.  Several
people mentioned _not_ receiving it at their sites, so I'm reposting
it.]

[...]

  from many Macintosh folks.  In all probability only the startup code,
[...]

  At this point, we have one volunteer to port the mono server to the
  Amiga version of Linux once the system is stable.

[...]

  "I think I've reached that point / Where every word that you write /
  Of every blood dark sea / And every soul black night / And every dream
  you dream me in / And every perfect free from sin / And burning eyes /
  And hearts on fire / Are just the same old song" -- The Cure

I just found the following article in comp.os.linux, thought that it
might be interesting for the Atari ST world, as well...

===== snip ===== snip ===== snip ===== snip ===== snip ===== snip =====

[...]

Thomas Koenig, i...@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de, i...@dkauni2.bitnet
The joy of engineering is to find a straight line on a double
logarithmic diagram.