Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
From: laut...@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de (Matthias Lautner)
Subject: Re: Location of DOS emulator from CMU
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1992 14:07:49 GMT

From article <1992Sep18.122521.2...@wam.umd.edu>, by j...@wam.umd.edu (Joel M. Hoffman):
> As I mentioned before, Carnagie Mellon Univ. has a fully functional,
> complete DOS emulator for their MACH system.  I think it might be the
> best place to start for our DOS emulator.  If nothing else, it
> contains a lot of code we might use (SVGA re/store, etc.)
>
> If you have afs, you can get it from:
>
> 	/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/mach/public/src/src/mdos
>
> It's also available via FTP:
>
> 	ernst.mach.cs.cmu.edu:src/src/mdos	(I think)
>

> I regret that I do not have the expertese even to begin this project
> if it is to have any hope of succeeding.  I will, of course, be happy
> to help test....
>
> -Joel

Hi!

Before you try to port this emulator to linux take a look at tsx-11.MIT.EDU in
the directory /pub/linux/ALPHA/dosemu. There you can find a dos emulator
for linux which is far away from being perfect but it emulates many dos
programs which are working in text mode eg. TURBO Pascal 5.0. I knew about
this project when I decided to start writing my dosemu. Nevertheless I wrote
it from scratch because the interface between the dos task and the server is
quite different from the MACH interface.
After dosemu is working now, the MACH DOS emulator can help us to implement
missing features. If someone is interested in doing this please join the
MSDOS mailing list at linux-activi...@niksula.hut.fi and mail your fixes or
improvements there.

Matthias
Matthias Lautner	Carl-Vornberger-Str. 21, 8701 Randersacker, Germany
laut...@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de