From: torvalds@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
Subject: Test-image of 0.96 available at banjo
Date: 8 May 92 22:05:44 GMT

As 0.96 has some changes in harddisk IO handling (interrupts, timings
etc), I'd like for people that have ever had problems with the harddisk
driver under linux to try out the last test-image of the 0.96 kernel
before the official release - I'd rather not have the same types of
problems that we had with 0.95.

The image (no sources - wait till next week) is available at
banjo.concert.net: pub/Linux/Incoming/testimage.Z, and is just my
current bootimage that I'd like some feedback on.

The changes to the harddisk driver (which is the main reason I want to
make sure this version works) are just:

 - interrupts enabled most of the time
 - inb_p / outb_p changes

The first one is to lessen interrupt latency, the second one hopefully
helps people who had problems with the driver at high speeds.  Both
changes work well for me, but then my machine seems to accept almost
anything...  I hope 0.96 will work without any "a" releases.

I'd also be interested to hear if this image removes the problems with
serial lines at high speeds under X, as well as /any/ other problems.  I
can still make minor bug-fixes if something turns up, but I'd want
reports by early next week or so (preferably with "testimage" in the
subject line).

The image is compiled with the us keyboard maps, and with the
floppy-device as root.  It should be binary compatible with all old
versions, as well as the interim X version, so you just plug in the new
kernel and you're (hopefully) off.

Ignore this post if you don't have time to check out the image this
weekend: the image is only meant as a quick test-release to get some
fast feedback.

		Linus