From: hlu@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Hongjiu Lu -- Graduate Student)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: gcc 2.0
Date: 10 Mar 92 06:09:30 GMT

Hi,

Please remember gcc 2.0 now at most is just a beta. I think it is just
an alpha. It may change everyday. It MAY NEED 4MB RAM and some swap
space to run. It may run with 2MB RAM and 4+ MB swap space. I won't
guarantee anything about that.

But, I should say it''s much better than 1.40. And you want g++,
it's only thing you get.

H.J.
--
School of EECS				Internet: hlu@eecs.wsu.edu
Washington State University		BITNET:   60935893@WSUVM1.BITNET

ANSWER: It's on dec1.eecs.wsu.edu under /incoming. There are two files,
2lib.tar.Z and 2misc.tar.Z.

QUESTION: What are the contents of them?

ANSWER: 2lib.tar.Z contains cc1, cc1plus and cpp. 2misc.tar.Z contains
gcc 2.0 drivers, header files, libraries, manual pages and installation
instructions.

QUESTION: How do I install it?

ANSWER: You may have to have 4 MB ram to run it and have some swap
space (> 2MB) since cc1 and cc1plus are more than 1 MB. First do

	cd /usr
	tar xvofvz xxxx/2misc.tar.Z

Then read FAQ in /usr/gcc2/install. After

	cd /usr
	tar xvofvz xxxx/2lib.tar.Z

run the shell script "inst2.0" and apply the patches. Make sure
/usr/gcc2/bin is in your path.

QUESTION: What are the main differences with the old release?

ANSWER: Here are the features

1. gcc and g++ are in one.

2. ANSI and BSD 4.4 compatible stdio.

3. iostream for g++. It has

* Full implementation of ANSI C stdio.
* Full implementation of the streambuf layer of AT&T's
  iostream library for C++.
* Full compatibility between stdio and streambufs.

and a beta version of libg++.a 2.00.

4. Libc.a are almost new. Most of glibc.a 1.00 (no network) are here.

	a. ctype
	b. grp
	c. locale
	d. posix
	e. pwd
	f. stdlib
	g. string
	h. time

Some other functions are added.

	b. cvt
	b. drand48
	c. getlogin
	d. getpass
	e. mkfifo (is that supported in kernel?)
	f. regex
	g. ufc
	h. utmp stuffs (poeigl-1.2)

These old functions are not changed very much.

	a. soft math
	b. math (some are new)
	c. termcap
	d. unistd

QUESTION: Is stdio ANSI compatible?

ANSWER: Yes, please test it.

QUESTION: Is g++ in 2.0?

ANSWER: Yes. use g++ to compile the C++ code. A beta version of
libg++.a 2.0 is here. Only thing missing is curses since I don't have
it. One test not passed is tFix24.

QUESTION: Why is size of the executable bigger than 1.40?

ANSWER: The stdio in 2.0 is based on iostream. There are some overhead.
When the shared libraries are out, it will go down. The reason for it
is g++ is part of 2.0.

QUESTION: What options can I use for gcc?

ANSWER: Read manual page, gcc.ps or gcc.man. -O3 and -O4 should work
with 2.0. Some said -O3 is the best. Don't ask me why. Try it yourself.

QUESTION: Where is the source code of the new libc.a?

ANSWER: I will release the source code after the alpha test is
finished. Please test it as much as possible.

QUESTION: Can I use gcc 2.0 to compile the kernel?

ANSWER: Yes. The 0.95 kernel is compiled with gcc 2.0. But if you want
to use gcc 1.40 to compile the kernel, you have to add a flag. I don't
remember which one.

QUESTION: Where do I put sprintk.c?

ANSWER: I have no idea. Since I borrowed it from printk.c in
linux/kernel, I just put it together with printk.c in linux/kernel.

QUESTION: How do I to compile the kernel?

ANSWER: To compile the kernel, you have to use the old gcc and
be sure the header files are compatible with the gcc 2.0. At least you
should use < linux/sys.h> and < unistd.d> from gcc 2.0.

QUESTION: Why does g++ complain?

ANSWER: You need "expr". Grab GNU shell utilities 1.6, compile it with
gcc 2.0 yourself. It is a very good testing. Most functions of in ./lib
are in libc.a, check them out. You have to modify the Makefiles, auto
config doesn't work very well. You may have to modify some files in
../src. Xmalloc.c in ./lib has to be modified to take care of
malloc (0).

QUESTION: Why do I always get "out of memory"?

ANSWER: Change all malloc (n) (calloc (), realloc ()) to

	malloc (n ? n : 1)

QUESTION: Why doesn't gcc -s work?

ANSWER: I am working on it.