From: David Grothe <d...@gcom.com>
Subject: iBCS and STREAMS
Date: 1998/10/01
Sender: owner-linux-ib...@vger.rutgers.edu
Newsgroups: fa.linux.ibcs2

Hello iBCS:

I am the keeper  of Linux STREAMS (LiS).  I am in the process of making
it compatible with 2.1 kernels in anticipation of the 2.2 release
someday.  There are a few things that need to be re-implemented and/or
reviewed for the 2.1 kernel environment.

This effort is helped by the fact that Linus has now inserted a tiny
"hooks" patch into the kernel that reserves the system call slots for
getpmsg and putpmsg needed by STREAMS.

Like iBCS, LiS exists _outside_  the kernel source tree (now) and loads
as a module.

The items that need revisiting are the following:

  1. Clone driver.  Currently LiS has its own implementation.  I am
     proposing to the kernel group that I implement a general clone
     driver mechanism that would allow any driver, STREAMS or
     non-STREAMS, to  have the capability.
  2. Poll.  Linux 2.1.xx has an implementation of poll.  The poll bits
     are scattered all over the map for different architectures.  Some
     rationalization might be in order.

I noticed in the iBCS README that there were notes to the effect that
there was no support for STREAMS based applications.  Are you folks
interested in some combining of technology between iBCS and LiS to allow
iBCS to handle STREAMS applications?

Let me know what you think.  I do not subscribe to the group, so please
respond directly (as well as to the group if you like).

Thanks,
Dave