From: "Eric Beyer" <eibe...@usa.net>
Subject: which SCO to try?
Date: 1998/09/28
Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc

Hi, I have been wanting to give SCO a try for the last month or two but I
can't see to decide on which one to try out. I normally use Debian Linux 2.0
and as of lately received Solaris 2.6 x86 media. So should I try UnixWare or
OpenServer? I don't do a whole lot of stuff, just network a couple of
computers in my house and surf the net off a ppp connection. Anyway if
someone would care to give me their opinion on which one I should try I
would appreciate it. Thanks for you time!

Eb

[comp.unix.unixware.misc added to get a balanced opinion.]

Eric Beyer wrote:

> Hi, I have been wanting to give SCO a try for the last month or two but I
> can't see to decide on which one to try out. I normally use Debian Linux 2.0
> and as of lately received Solaris 2.6 x86 media. So should I try UnixWare or
> OpenServer? I don't do a whole lot of stuff, just network a couple of
> computers in my house and surf the net off a ppp connection. Anyway if
> someone would care to give me their opinion on which one I should try I
> would appreciate it. Thanks for you time!

I can't make up your mind for you.  OpenServer is more polished overall
than UnixWare, but UnixWare is the future, whereas OpenServer only
really has couple of years left in it.  If you're familiar with neither,
then personally I'd go with UnixWare and save having to make the
conversion later.  Also being SVR4 compatible should make porting
software slightly easier.  (OpenServer, being neither BSD, Linux or SVR4
based, is to _some_ extent undersupported in terms of
download-the-source software.)

--
Andrew Smallshaw
small...@cs.man.ac.uk

> [comp.unix.unixware.misc added to get a balanced opinion.]
>
> Eric Beyer wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I have been wanting to give SCO a try for the last month or two but I
> > can't see to decide on which one to try out.

> I can't make up your mind for you.  OpenServer is more polished overall
> than UnixWare, but UnixWare is the future, whereas OpenServer only
> really has couple of years left in it.

I'll agree with this and only add two things:

One: UW7 isn't all that unpolished.  UW 2.x was awful (personal opinion,
of course), but there really isn't anything to hate in UW7, even
for die-hard OSR5 folk.   See http://www.aplawrence.com/UW/intro.html
for my impressions of it.

Two: Most Linux folk (the original poster was) don't like
OSR5 or Unixware, though I expect they'd have an easier time
with Unixware.  It's not that Linux is "better" (though
of course many Linuxoids would disagree), but that so much of what
they are used to doing doesn't work, but enough of it does to
really tick them off about the rest.  I have the same feelings
about Linux, so I can understand their frustration.  Something
completely foreign is sometimes easier to like than something
that's just annoyingly different here and there..

--
Tony Lawrence (t...@aplawrence.com)
SCO ACE

>> [comp.unix.unixware.misc added to get a balanced opinion.]
>>
>> Eric Beyer wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi, I have been wanting to give SCO a try for the last month or two but I
>> > can't see to decide on which one to try out.
>
>> I can't make up your mind for you.  OpenServer is more polished overall
>> than UnixWare, but UnixWare is the future, whereas OpenServer only
>> really has couple of years left in it.
>
>I'll agree with this and only add two things:
>
>One: UW7 isn't all that unpolished.  UW 2.x was awful (personal opinion,
>of course), but there really isn't anything to hate in UW7, even
>for die-hard OSR5 folk.   See http://www.aplawrence.com/UW/intro.html
>for my impressions of it.
>
>Two: Most Linux folk (the original poster was) don't like
>OSR5 or Unixware, though I expect they'd have an easier time
>with Unixware.  It's not that Linux is "better" (though
>of course many Linuxoids would disagree), but that so much of what
>they are used to doing doesn't work, but enough of it does to
>really tick them off about the rest.  I have the same feelings
>about Linux, so I can understand their frustration.  Something
>completely foreign is sometimes easier to like than something
>that's just annoyingly different here and there..

Yeah, I agree, although it's even more true for BSD users than Linux
users.  When they go to one of the commercial System V UNIXes (whether it
be Solaris, IRIX, UnixWare, or whatever), they immediately don't like it
usually because things don't work the way they're used to.  But I do think
Linux is "better", in that it's much more stable and has many more
features overall.  About the only thing I've run across that UW has that
Linux doesn't is production-quality SMP (and Linux will have that soon
enough).  But there's a lot of stuff Linux has that UW doesn't...  Let's
start with source code, so you can fix any minor bugs you might find,
instead of waiting a year for SCO to do so...

--
Bob Farmer                                     ucs_...@shsu.edu
Computer Services, Sam Houston State University; Huntsville, TX