From: tig...@sco.COM (Tigran Aivazian)
Subject: Linux, UDI and SCO.
Date: 1998/09/18
Sender: muc.de!l-linux-kernel-owner
Newsgroups: muc.lists.linux-kernel

Hello guys,

The stuff below is no longer a secret so I think I can share it with you.
It does mention Linux quite a few times and may even answer someone's question
as to whether SCO is interested at all in Linux.

Regards,
------ -------- --------- -------- --  - -- ---- --
Tigran A. Aivazian           | http://www.sco.com
Escalations Research Group   | tel: +44-(0)1923-813796
Santa Cruz Operation Ltd     | Email: tig...@sco.com

SCO TEAMS WITH INTEL TO ACCELERATE UNIX SYSTEM GROWTH AND ADOPTION

Companies Use Uniform Driver Interface to Deliver Common Device Support
Across Multiple UNIX Operating Systems

INTEL DEVELOPER FORUM, Palm Springs, CA (September 16, 1998) - In a move
aimed at accelerating the growth of UNIX systems on Intel processor-based
servers, SCO (NASDAQ:SCOC) today announced its support of Intel
Corporation's adoption of the Uniform Driver Interface (UDI) as a standard
device interface. In addition, Intel will work with SCO and Project UDI, to
port UDI to the Linux operating system and distribute as freeware.

UDI allows device drivers to be portable across both hardware platforms and
operating systems without any changes to the driver source. This
significantly lowers the cost of driver development, speeds time-to-market
of new devices, and allows manufacturers to allocate development resource
on improving device performance, features and functionality. SCO held the
first public demonstration of this technology at SCO Forum98 last month,
running the same driver under the SCO OpenServer, SCO UnixWare 2, UnixWare
7, and the Hewlett-Packard HP-UX operating systems.

UDI is a specification backed by multiple UNIX system providers, including
Compaq, HP, IBM, NCR, SCO, and Sun Microsystems, as well as leading
companies such as Adaptec, Interphase Corporation and Lockheed Martin. SCO
was instrumental in proving the UDI concept and driving the formation of a
multi-company, joint development effort to produce a prototype UDI
environment implementation and sample drivers. This project, based on core
code provided by SCO, resulted in working UDI implementations on seven
different operating systems.

"Standardization in this industry is what drives up the performance and
innovation curves," said Ray Anderson, SCO's senior vice president,
Marketing. "Intel's support of UDI as a standard means that all UNIX OS
vendors can use a common device driver on all Intel platforms. SCO and
Intel will strongly support the movement to standardize the use of UDI for
all UNIX platforms on Intel, which we believe will generate even more
momentum for the already exploding UNIX on Intel market."

"Accelerating the deployment of UNIX on Intel-based servers is an important
element in the growth of the standard high volume server model and in
bringing price/performance advantages to the reliable, available and
scalable benefits of UNIX," said John Miner, Intel vice president and
general manager, Enterprise Server Group. "SCO and Project UDI have already
made a great deal of progress in defining a common framework and Intel is
doing its part to deliver it to the industry."

Cost savings is among the many benefits of UDI by reducing a company's time
and resources in developing and testing of drivers. Independent research
firm, International Data Corporation (IDC), recognizes this as a
substantial benefit for developers and end-users.

"Having a standard device driver infrastructure may result in significant
savings to end-user organizations and developers alike," said Dan
Kusnetzky, program director for International Data Corporation's operating
environments and serverware programs. "If an end-user organization could
reduce the staffing required to install and maintain its server software by
only one person, that could result in a three quarter of a million dollars
savings over five years. If a developer was able to support a broad number
of systems with less system testing and fewer engineers doing testing, the
savings could stack up to be even more."

UDI for Open Source Community
SCO strongly supports the growth of standards-based computing and
encouragement of open systems development. SCO, with Intel and Project UDI,
will support the open source community by working to ensure that UDI works
on the Linux operating system.

Anderson continued, "The Linux and open source movements are powerful
forces in the industry that are creating a huge resurgence in the interest
in the UNIX System. It helps to bring the community together again and with
UDI available on the Linux system, their developers can use the latest UNIX
devices and peripherals on the market."

About UDI
UDI isolates drivers from operating system policies, as well as platform
and I/O bus dependencies. This allows driver development to be totally
independent of OS development. In addition, the UDI architecture insulates
drivers from platform specifics such as byte-ordering, DMA implications,
multi-processing, interrupt implementations and I/O bus topologies. More
information on Project UDI is available at http://www.sco.com/UDI

About SCO
SCO is the world's number one provider of UNIX server operating systems,
and the leading provider of network computing software that enables clients
of all kinds - including, PCs, graphical terminals, NCs, and other devices
- to have Webtop access to business-critical applications running on
servers of all kinds. SCO designed Tarantella software, the world's first
application broker for network computing. SCO sells and supports its
products through a worldwide network of distributors, resellers, systems
integrators, and OEMs. For more information, see SCO's WWW home page at:
http://www.sco.com .
# # #
SCO, The Santa Cruz Operation, the SCO logo, SCO OpenServer, Tarantella,
the Tarantella logo, and UnixWare are trademarks or registered trademarks
of The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc. in the US and other countries. UNIX is a
registered trademark of The Open Group in the US and other countries. All
other brand and product names are or may be trademarks of, and are used to
identify products or services of, their respective owners.

Brian Ziel
Manager, Product PR
Tel: 831-427-7252
Fax: 831-427-5418