From: David Grothe <d...@gcom.com>
Subject: Space in file name Word 97
Date: 1997/04/26
Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.apps.word-proc

I am running Office 97 on Windows 95 version 4.0.  I am using
Hummingbird PC NFS software to access a SCO UNIX server.  I have drive
F: connected to a subdirectory in my user directory on the server and am
attempting to keep my Word and Excel files in that directory because of
automatic nightly backup there.

When I attempt to open a file with spaces in the name from the network
drive in Word via the File menu or clicking on the "open" icon on the
tool bar, I get a series of error messages.  For example, if the file
name is "my document", I get the message

    This file could not be found.
    (F:\subdir\my)
    <OK>

When I click on <OK> I then get the following message

    This file could not be found.
    (document)
    <OK>

If I go the server and change the name of the file to my_document, I
have no problem opening it.  However, Word shows the document name on
the top bar and in the Window menu with the underscore changed to a
space!

Word has no problems with documents containing spaces on the local hard
drive.

Excel can open files with spaces in their names with no problem.

In Explorer, I can select the file name and do "File" -> "Open with
Word" and Word will open the file just fine.

Anybody else see this?  Anybody figure out how to get Word to open the
files with spaces in the names?

No urgency here, as I have a workaround.

Thanks.