Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development
Subject: Streams on Linux ?
From: anand...@sfov1.verifone.com
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 95 12:17:43 +700

All,

	Is there Streams programming support for Linux? If so what version
& up of Linux kernel has this support & what is the package name in the ftp
site?

Thanks for all help
Anand

From: Glen S. Rosen <74736....@CompuServe.COM>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development
Subject: Re: Streams on Linux ?
Date: 11 Mar 1995 06:06:12 GMT

Anand,

Actually, this is the dicussion in a thread in this group now.
No, there is no STREAMS support in Linux.  I proposed to write
it, but, I am forced to reconsider my position based upon the
negative responses I received.  The major concern here appears
to be performance.  While this is truely a valid concern, I was
looking at it from more of a SYS V compatability issue.

Hmmmm,  perhaps it would be a waste of time if it wasn't well
excepted and more importantly, USED!

Glen

   Actually, this is the dicussion in a thread in this group now.
   No, there is no STREAMS support in Linux.  I proposed to write
   it, but, I am forced to reconsider my position based upon the
   negative responses I received.  The major concern here appears
   to be performance.  While this is truely a valid concern, I was
   looking at it from more of a SYS V compatability issue.

Well, if the issue is Sys V compatibility, putting together a library
which implemented the Sys V streams API would certainly be welcome.
Since it's a user level library, the performance issues wouldn't be an
issue for most programs --- only those that insisted on using Streams.
(And those programs are probably used to the performance hit anyway.
:-)

Actually, I've seen very few programs that actually use Streams; most of
the use the BSD socket interface, and use the socket emulation library
on System V machines.

						- Ted