From: sadk...@bigbird.cs.ohiou.edu (Scott W. Adkins)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux
Subject: net-0.2 stuff (and presumebly SLS net stuff)
Date: 11 Feb 93 01:33:22 GMT
Sender: use...@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu (Network News Poster)

Ok, I can't hold this in any longer... it has been bugging me for quite
some time now, and I just have to find out...

It seems that there are quite a few problems with the net (or maybe tcpip)
stuff that gets distributed for Linux.  I will start with the software first:

  1) rlogin into the linux box works fine, but when trying to rlogin out,
     the connection is closed before even seeing a login prompt on the remote
     system.  Why is rlogin broken?  I have heard that other people have had
     this problem as well, and I am not the only one.  So, how many people
     out there have this problem?

  2) ftp works find going out of the linux box, but using ftp into the box
     does not work:
       a)  ftp using "anonymous" or "ftp" -->  I can get in using this method,
	   but any ftp command I use brings up a message something to the
	   effect "Could not load "/lib/libc.so.4" and "Permision Denied".
	   I checked this out and do not see why either message is coming
	   up... /lib/libc.so.4 is sym linked to /lib/libc.so.4.2 and the
	   /lib/libc.so.4.2 has 755 permissions set on it.

       b)  ftp using any other account name that exists does not work...
	   it will ask me for a login, I type it in.  It asks me for a
	   password, and I type it in (and it *is* correct!).  It will
	   say "Login incorrect" and then "Login failed".  I thought it
	   would be a problem with shadow passwords, but it turns out
	   that this may not be the case... so what gives?

  3) I haven't tried out rcp and some of the other exotic command, but I
     seem to recall that rsh works fine and telnet seems to do pretty good.

I have even looked at and compiled the source of the files above and get
the same results... I am a bit clueless now.  Help would be appreciated on
these matters.  Also, are there any other versions of this stuff out there
that would work as well?  (Other versions of ftp/rlogin/etc?)

Now the other problem may still lie with the kernel.  I mentioned it before.
When telnetting into the system (or even rlogin in), after awhile, the
display will just freeze... I am learning more and more about what can
trigger this... for instance... If I start compressing or uncompressing a
big tar file and put it in the background, I sometimes do a "df" command
at the same time to watch my disk space change... well, it freezes up and
sometimes when it doesn't freeze up, I just get the "df" program header
and no other output!  (just a linux prompt)  The freezing up seems to be
more prominent when stuff is going to the display (larger quantities), such
as the /etc/motd when you login, or even when "more-ing" a file or even
when editing a file... The odd thing about all of this is that the display
may freeze up, but I still can type commands and do stuff as if the display
was completely active (even though I can't see it)! :-)  The problem is
very definetely display oriented, but only occurs when it is being used in
conjuction with the tcpip stuff.

Ok, now... I am currently using SLS 99p3 (yes it is old, but I am *still*
waiting for SLS to "settle" down and waiting for the next big update).  I
have heard that the problem still existed in 99p4 (from other people) and
that it was even worse in the p4 verson... so I have chosen to stick with
p3 for the time being.  I am hoping that 99p5 will help?  Is this a problem
with the kernel not setting or clearing and interupt flag or something???
I really hope somebody has a clue...

Well, that is it.  (This is a big weight of my chest, since I have been
playing with it for sometime now...)  I hope to hear something good from
all of this!

Catch you later!
Scott Adkins
         Scott W. Adkins           Internet: sadk...@bigbird.cs.ohiou.edu
         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                     ak...@cleveland.freenet.edu
    Ohio University of Athens        Bitnet: adk...@ouaccvma.bitnet

I am the official NET maintainer for LINUX, so here goes:

>   1) rlogin into the linux box works fine, but when trying to rlogin out,
>      the connection is closed before even seeing a login prompt on the remote
>      system.  Why is rlogin broken?  I have heard that other people have had
>      this problem as well, and I am not the only one.  So, how many people
>      out there have this problem?

This is a problem of the kernel not handling TCP Urgent Data correctly.
It has been fixed in 0.99.4 and up.  Just recompile the NET binaries of
telnet[d] and rlogin[d], and you're off.

>   2) ftp works find going out of the linux box, but using ftp into the box
>      does not work:
>        a)  ftp using "anonymous" or "ftp" -->  I can get in using this method,
> 	   but any ftp command I use brings up a message something to the
> 	   effect "Could not load "/lib/libc.so.4" and "Permision Denied".
> 	   I checked this out and do not see why either message is coming
> 	   up... /lib/libc.so.4 is sym linked to /lib/libc.so.4.2 and the
> 	   /lib/libc.so.4.2 has 755 permissions set on it.

They also have to be in the /lib subdirectory of the "home" directory
of user "ftp".  Usually, when you have "ftp"'s home dir pointing to
/public, you get something like:

	/public
	       /bin	# contains "sh" and "ls", mode 0511
	       /etc	# contains "small" copies of "passwd" and "group"
	       /lib	# contains the shared libs, modes 511
	       /pub	# the rest of the "public" tree

This is because "ftpd" does a chroot(2) system call to the home
directory when user "ftp" (== "anonymous") logs in....

>        b)  ftp using any other account name that exists does not work...
> 	   it will ask me for a login, I type it in.  It asks me for a
> 	   password, and I type it in (and it *is* correct!).  It will
> 	   say "Login incorrect" and then "Login failed".  I thought it
> 	   would be a problem with shadow passwords, but it turns out
> 	   that this may not be the case... so what gives?

It works here, and on any other system I have installed.  Are you using
shadow password stuff?

>   3) I haven't tried out rcp and some of the other exotic command, but I
>      seem to recall that rsh works fine and telnet seems to do pretty good.

Work fine.

> I have even looked at and compiled the source of the files above and get
> the same results... I am a bit clueless now.  Help would be appreciated on
> these matters.  Also, are there any other versions of this stuff out there
> that would work as well?  (Other versions of ftp/rlogin/etc?)

I have a complete distribution waiting, but I wanted to wait with its
release until (a) the 4.2 libs came out (still a bit buggy), (b) the
new kernel came out (TCP Urgent Data and such), and (c) some other
kernel-related matters got cleaned up.  We are now at (c), so it won't
be long.

> Now the other problem may still lie with the kernel.  I mentioned it before.
> When telnetting into the system (or even rlogin in), after awhile, the
> display will just freeze... I am learning more and more about what can

TCP lockups or TCP urgent data.  Should be OK with new kernel + new binaries.

> Ok, now... I am currently using SLS 99p3 (yes it is old, but I am *still*
> waiting for SLS to "settle" down and waiting for the next big update).  I
> have heard that the problem still existed in 99p4 (from other people) and
> that it was even worse in the p4 verson... so I have chosen to stick with
> p3 for the time being.  I am hoping that 99p5 will help?  Is this a problem
> with the kernel not setting or clearing and interupt flag or something???
> I really hope somebody has a clue...

Wait for kernel PL6 or PL7, and the new NET distribution.  They will be
OK (I have been working over this LINUX network for over 6 days now,
and no lockups yet...).

> Well, that is it.  (This is a big weight of my chest, since I have been
> playing with it for sometime now...)  I hope to hear something good from
> all of this!

Just mail me next time- better for your health, too :-)

Fred.