From owner-linux-activists@joker.cs.hut.fi Mon Jan 18 02:55:38 1993
Sender: owner-linux-activists@joker.cs.hut.fi
From: wirzeniu@cc.helsinki.fi (Lars Wirzenius)
To: linux-activists@joker.cs.hut.fi
Subject: ANNOUNCE: Xenix filesystem for Linux
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1993 02:38:01 +0200

From: dje@sspiff.cygnus.com (Doug Evans)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
Followup-to: comp.os.linux

I have updated my Xenix filesystem to 0.99.2 (yes, I know 0.99.3 is out).

It can be found on tsx-11.mit.edu in pub/linux/patches/xenixfs.99.2.tar.Z.

>From the README:

README for Xenix(tm) filesystem.

This patch provides an implementation of the Xenix filesystem for Linux.
The implementation isn't complete in the sense that the following things
are missing:

- divvy partitions
- badtrk table support
- mkfs
- fsck
- fsdb

To use this code with Linux, you must boot Xenix and run mkfs on a
full partition. EG: mkfs /dev/hd03 ... This code can also be used with
floppies (boot Xenix and do mkdev fd). In fact, I recommend testing
the patch out on floppies first. Note that fsck, mkfs, and fsdb can't
be run under Linux (they might work under the Xenix emulator, but I haven't
tried them yet).

I have added a simple implementation of symbolic links that won't send
fsck into fits. See fs/xenix/symlink.c for more information.

To install this code
1) untar the source
2) apply patch file xenixfs.patch

This patch must be applied to Linux 0.99 Patch Level 2.

Note: This patch makes Xenix partitions the "default" root partition.
      When the system boots, it will first try to mount the root partition
      as a Xenix partition. If that fails it will try the others in
      succession. If your root Linux partition is not a Xenix partition,
      change the search order in linux/fs/filesystems.c.

I have my Linux system running on Xenix partitions as follows:

200 MB IDE	30MB MSDOS
		50MB Xenix root + swap
		60MB Linux root + swap
		65MB /usr/spool (Xenix + Linux)

1 GIG SCSI	100MB MSDOS
		300MB /home (Xenix + Linux)
		300MB /src (Xenix + Linux)
		360MB /u (Xenix + Linux)

Doug Evans, dje@cygnus.com, 93Jan14

(tm) Xenix is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corp.

--
Doug Evans               | And Life, that sets all things in rhyme,
dje@sspiff.cygnus.com    | May make you poet, too, in time -