Re: LANG: Object Sharing

Kevin Goldsmith (kmg@monk.colossal.com)
Fri, 17 Jun 1994 12:29:56 -0700

On Jun 16, 11:50am, Ian McFarland wrote:
> Subject: Re: LANG: Object Sharing
> >

> Hmm. Seems to me like if we start with some base classes ($ROOM, for
> example, which has the basic properties of a Room: 8 corners, default
> surfaces...) we can rely on inheritance and overloading to let people
> design things simply. (Like <ROOM>, which doesn't sound too tough.)

whoah! Room is not a base class. SHAPE is a base class. ROOM could
be a subclass of a CUBE, but I would argue against having a class even being
called ROOM. We should restrict VRML to things like polygon, sphere, etc...
That is the most extensible. Your idea of what a room is, senator, is not my
idea of what a room is, but if you could say, "my room is made up of four
square polygons" and I could say "my room is made of 50 triangular polygons" we
could both be happy.

Kevin