RE: DSSSL & Interleaf

Brian Behlendorf (brian@organic.com)
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 17:14:22 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 15 Jan 1996, Hakon Lie wrote:
> Brian Behlendorf writes:
> > I can't find it), then what is a browser company to do? While I adore style
> > sheets as a way to separate structure from presentation, I worry that many
> > people see it as a solution to the "tag explosion" problem, when in fact it's
> > just moving the evolution to a different technology.
>
> You're right. With so many authors on the web, it's unlikely that one
> will ever find the definitive set of stylistic effects. But isn't it
> good to move the battlefield out of HTML?

Only if the new battlefield (style sheets) is friendlier to new weapons.
Will there be as much complaint about using a (non-standard,
implemented-in-one-browser-only) BLINK construct in style sheets as there was
complaint about using the BLINK tag in HTML? It seems like style sheets
provide, by nature, more graceful fallbacks - if a style sheet calls for an
unknown font, for example, the browser is free to use something else. So,
I'm hopeful, at least.

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/