RE: DSSSL & Interleaf

Hakon Lie (howcome@w3.org)
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 23:41:03 +0100

Brian Behlendorf writes:

> > I still feel that CSS helps avert a large amount of tag explosion; for
> > example, if we had had CSS in place in Internet Explorer 2.0, there would
> > have been no "need" to create a tag for marquees.
>
> Ah, but had a "marquee" functionality not been described in CSS1 (is it?

No. While this may easily be added in the future, we try to keep the
initial threshold for implementors low. If the web decides that it
wants marquees, the style sheet language shouldn't stand in the way.

> I can't find it), then what is a browser company to do? While I adore style
> sheets as a way to separate structure from presentation, I worry that many
> people see it as a solution to the "tag explosion" problem, when in fact it's
> just moving the evolution to a different technology.

You're right. With so many authors on the web, it's unlikely that one
will ever find the definitive set of stylistic effects. But isn't it
good to move the battlefield out of HTML?

> p.s. - I won't even get into it now, but I'd like to eventually see style
> sheets serving as "glue" between structural elements and java rendering
> agents.... so I can distribute my own "h1" renderer for example.

I'm all for it. Work in this area is much welcome.

Regards,

-h&kon

http://www.w3.org/People/howcome howcome@w3.org