Re: draft-ietf-html-style-00.txt & class as a general selector

lilley (lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk)
Fri, 8 Dec 1995 18:22:17 +0000 (GMT)

Chris Wilson said:

> Chris Lilley wrote:
> >If it is affected for no reason .... then why on earth should HTML be
> extended
> >to cope with formatting changes that occur for no reason?
>
> I believe he meant content- or document structure-based reason. Obviously,
> there is a reason - you want the style to change at that point.

Yes. Why do you want the style to change at this point? In other words,
I have been arguing that style changes for a reason.

> >Lets be clear here: a change to HTML hs been proposed so it can
> >do *ransom notes* ? Given the goals of HTML this is clearly nonsense.
>
> Where did "ransom notes" come from?

Since everyone else had failed to meet my request for a situation where
style changes are made for no reason, I supplied one myself. The only case
I could think of was those ransom notes made by cutting letters out of
a nespaper. Each letter has a different font, size, and weight, for no
reason at all.

I do not consider this an important enough application that HTML should
offer special support, though ;-)

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author and JISC representative to W3C
|  Manchester and North Training & Education Centre   ( MAN T&EC )  |