Re: Wish List for New Spec

BearHeart / Bill Weinman (BearHeart@bearnet.com)
Thu, 28 Dec 95 01:59 CST

At 07:12 am 12/28/95 +0100, Philippe-Andre Prindeville wrote:
>On Dec 27, 21:16, Michael Seaton wrote:
>> bbreak@mit.edu (Ben Breakstone) wrote:
>> [ snip ]
>> > I believe the absence of typesetter's (or "curly," or "smart") quotation
>> > marks from the english HTML entity set to be a grievous omission.

Perhaps not as grievous, but a noticable omission as well, are
ligatures for "fi", "fl", "ffi", and "ffl", etc.

>> These could be hinted at in the current standard by using <Q> </Q>.
>> However this is still not a full substitute for having entity names,
>> since there will likely be cases in which a solitary quote is desired.
>Yes, indeed. You might have several paragraphs all from the same
>person, with no interruption. In that case, each paragraph would start
>with a left double quote, but no closing quote would be necessary.
>So you could make </q> optional, like </p> is. Note: this is
>highly language dependent. Not all latin scripted languages follow
>this convention. I know French doesn't, for example.

Actually, it's worse than that. Different english-speaking locales
use quotation marks in different hierarchies. Brittish publishers
commonly use single quotes for quotations and double quotes for
quotations-within-quotations, while U.S. publishers use them in the
opposite order.

* BearHeart / Bill Weinman
* BearHeart@bearnet.com * * http://www.bearnet.com/ *
* Author of The CGI Book: * http://www.bearnet.com/cgibook/ *
* "To enjoy life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks."
--Lazarus Long