Re: Wish List for New Spec

Gregory Woodhouse (gjw@best.com)
Fri, 29 Dec 1995 05:25:17 -0800

At 07:12 AM 12/28/95 +0100, Philippe-Andre Prindeville wrote:
d.

>Yes, indeed. You might have several paragraphs all from the same
>person, with no interruption. In that case, each paragraph would start
>with a left double quote, but no closing quote would be necessary.
>So you could make </q> optional, like </p> is. Note: this is
>highly language dependent. Not all latin scripted languages follow
>this convention. I know French doesn't, for example.
>
>-Philip

At least French, German and English all use different symbols for quotation
marks, but the abstract idea is the same -- there is an opening quote and a
close quote. Elsewhere it was pointed out that quotes nest differently in
British and American English. All of these seem to me to be excellent
arguments to use markup instead of entities. With markup, the same
convention would be used across languages, but with entities, different
entitities will be needed in each language.

---
Gregory Woodhouse     gjw@best.com
home page:            http://www.best.com/~gjw/
resource page:        http://www.best.com/~gjw/resource/