Re: Lists and 2.0

Jack Armstrong (Jack.Armstrong@ssf-sys.dhl.com)
Fri, 26 Aug 94 09:23:02 -0700

On Aug 26, 4:29pm, Torgeir Veimo wrote:

> > ... does anyone know of a nicely parameterized HTML-to- Postcript tool?
> I'm working on it.. :)

Wonderful!! Please post your progress..

> So much for my own approach. I'm about to select and start on my master
> thesis, so this project will probably be put on ice.
How suseptible is your thesis adviser to bribes? Flames cascading from the
web?

> The best thing would be if I could do my
> master thesis associated with such work, but this isn't a very big
> university..
Ahh, but you've opened it up to the world, which may make a big difference.

> But even if you want complete sgml compliance in browsers, you will still
> need formatting information. How would you do that if not specifying a
default
> sgml dtd with implicit rendering specification, such as html?
This is the wrong time, place, and string for this conversation, but you might
want to follow up on the approaches taken in the established SGML world,
(DSSSL, suggested formatting in a prologue, etc.) *When* you need formatting
information is when you are ready to format -- *where* you need formatting
information is at the place of formatting, not in the context of the document.

Thanks for your response and good ideas.

--
Jack C. Armstrong                        __________     ___   ___   ___