Re: Adding new tags (was: Redefining...)

Murray Maloney (murray@sco.com)
Mon, 13 Jun 1994 13:09:43 -0400 (EDT)

Last week I asked about this.
Dan and Terry, among others, answered.

I had pointed out that using <RENDER ...>
to define new tags would represent a problem
IFF we expected that the HTML language and
all conforming document instances would be
parseable by an SGML parser, even if not
necesarily including a parser in every browser
or server.

Dan and Terry reminded me how one might add new
elements to the DTD, using accepted SGML rules.
And that <RENDER ...> was only intended to be
used to provide some formatting hints to the browser.

Based upon their comments, I assumed that I had
misunderstood the intention of <RENDER ...>.
So, I left it at that.

However, now it seems that Tim thinks that it
will be possible for a document instance
to "encounter a RENDER tag for an undeclared element".

It seems that things are not so clear again.
At least to me?

So, what is the story going to be? I think that
we have to decide and commit right now. Either
we are going to define HTML 2.0 and 3.0 as strictly
conforming SGML DTDs and not provide trivial mechanisms
for extending the language at the whim of information
providers or browser developers, OR we are going to use
SGML as a language of convenience for defining HTML 2.0
and 3.0 and then provide simple but effective ways to
formalize a mechanism for the extension of the language.

As I said in my earlier mail, both approaches have some appeal
and both have some drawbacks. But we can't have our cake
and eat it too.

Comments?

Murray