Re: state info in URL (was Re: Proposition on advanced URL features...)

Dave Kristol (dmk@allegra.att.com)
Thu, 30 Nov 95 10:22:42 EST

Rick Troth <troth@compassnet.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Nov 1995, Mirsad Todorovac wrote:
>
> > Existing syntax of the URL allows constructs like this:

> Some of us are using the generalization
>
> http://host[:port]/path[;parameters][#anchor][?searchargs]
>
> allowing for state information to be held in the URL.
> I'd very much like to see this included in formal docs.

Embedding state information in a URL disrupts caching. For a proposal
that does similar things but is more cache-friendly, see my State-Info
proposal at
http://www.research.att.com/~dmk/session.html
or draft-kristol-http-state-info-00.txt in the Internet Drafts directory
at your favorite site.

Dave Kristol